trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #991  
Is there any thought they might allow cordless battery saws?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #992  
Not in the wilderness areas. They don't even allow anything with wheels... (a dolly, a cooler with wheels, etc).

I think the only exception is fire, and SAR rescues. Even then they need explicit permission I believe.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Many of these rules are goofy or archaic so don't expect to this make any sense. Dynamite is allowed to clear trails. I kid you not. In the boundary waters canoe area wilderness in northern MN and large blow-down occurred so years ago and that's how some trails were cleared.. All natural.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #994  
Not in the wilderness areas. They don't even allow anything with wheels... (a dolly, a cooler with wheels, etc).

I think the only exception is fire, and SAR rescues. Even then they need explicit permission I believe.

Not even a hand cranked winch? Hand pulled block and tackle?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #996  
might as well require pre1900 work era clothing and ban zippers, too.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #997  
Not even a hand cranked winch? Hand pulled block and tackle?
Those are likely OK. Wheel ban would be more towards a wheel used to roll something in or out. (Includes bicycles which is probably the main thing they are looking to keep out...)

Everything has to be carried in - pack animals are usually OK. The webbing trick works very well and is quite light compared to other riggings for rolling big logs off a trail. Multi-use too (belay, rope, emergency harness material, etc.)

We had gone camping for a few days and planned to do trail work there, but unpredicted rain drove us home early. Taken yesterday while blazing our trails. Can anyone identify the rocks in the box? We picked them rocks along the logging road to be droped in to fill a hole.
blazing230.jpg
rock568.jpg

We had gone camping for a few days and planned to do trail work there, but unpredicted rain drove us home early. Taken yesterday while blazing our trails. Can anyone identify the rocks in the box? We picked them rocks along the logging road to be droped in to fill a hole.View attachment 811884View attachment 811885
Tough one to guess guys. Its mine rock used as road base. When it was blasted and bought out of a copper mine, you end up angular rocks as you see here.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,000  
That's what normal rock looks like around the Ozarks out here. They are all angular like that. There are lots of businesses set up around here that just pile up rocks and sell them by the pallet. I pick them up and use them for flower bed borders. Works well and looks nice.

Lots of older houses around here are clad with them instead of brick or siding. We apparently grow rocks as one of our cash crops?