trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #981  
I just checked these Carlisle tires and see they are 4 ply.

I replaced mine right out of the gate on my SxS for the same reason. I tried to make the factory ones work but I ran out of plugs way too fast. I was able to get takeoffs from the dealership. Wheels and tires already mounted from a higher equipped unit for less than just tires. It's crazy to me how many people upgrade their already upgraded wheels and tires before they ever take possession of their machines. The dealer I got mine from had STACKS of them laying around.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I replaced mine right out of the gate on my SxS for the same reason. I tried to make the factory ones work but I ran out of plugs way too fast. I was able to get takeoffs from the dealership. Wheels and tires already mounted from a higher equipped unit for less than just tires. It's crazy to me how many people upgrade their already upgraded wheels and tires before they ever take possession of their machines. The dealer I got mine from had STACKS of them laying around.
These act carlisle tires run about $100 each and got good reviews. :unsure:

here is what carlisle says about them.
---------------------------------------------------
ACT means All Conditions Tire. The Carlisle ACT features heavy-duty materials to resist damage from punctures, cuts, and abrasions. Need traction in wet or loose soil? The ACT is designed to provide handling and cornering thanks to its self-cleaning spacing and tread compounds.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #983  
What dealer? We have a couple ATV's that could use some new tires this fall, maybe they are where I can get my best deal.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #984  
I just checked these Carlisle tires and see they are 4 ply. Says they are made in the USA.
I run 6 ply low pressure tires (not radials) on both sxs I own believe they are Chinese imports (kenda) all tire problems I was having stopped. Great upgrade in my experience especially If your running on rough terrain. Can get exact tire which I've been using over 5 years on my Honda if your interested.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #985  
No I don't. I thought I'd need to winch some logs around but I didn't need to. Seems I could have doubled the towing effort with this machine from what I did today. View attachment 811164
Like everything, the cost adds up, but a couple of snatch blocks or recovery rings with some rope would make it possible to pull some trees like these off into the woods while keeping your UTV firmly on the trail.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #986  
That makes sense. It's not that you need more pulling power, but you can redirect the pull.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
We can now operate in the woods with destruction to just the shoot and ferns. These are what we cut back, every time we are out anyway. We have a 10ft flat strap on the winch for snow plowing and rarely need to tow more than 9 ft anyway, so its staying on. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever towed anything with it. :cool:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #988  
It's not something I have typically done myself in the past, but I'm developing an appreciation for the guys who have figured out how to move logs in areas of very limited access using rope and pulley setups. I have a trail that is blocked by downed trees. There's no way to access it safely with a tractor, but now I'm thinking I may be able to get them off the trail using a pulley setup to create mechanical advantage.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #989  
Earlier in this thread I mentioned some work I helped with on trails in Wilderness areas in the Cascade range where only human powered equipment was allowed. A technique they used to roll massive old growth logs off the trails was to take some webbing (probably 30-50 feet?) and wrap it around the logs. Probably 3-4 wraps over top of each other so it would bind on itself. Then, from a safe position, they would get 2-3 people on the tail end of the strap and pull on it like a pull cord of a lawnmower. This would start the log rolling and move it right off the trail. It helps if you can use slope/gravity to your advantage to get it rolling.

One needs to be very careful when doing this of course. They guy coordinating the work would sit for 5+ min and just look at the situation before doing anything. He was looking for hazards, the way a tree might twist or pop as it was being cut, escape routes, overhead dangers, etc. "Look up, Look down, look all around" was his mantra. Then he would set up the situation (be it a cut of a log, or movement of a log, etc). Then he would sit again and assess the situation one last time before acting.

We were moving logs 3-4 feet thick and 10+ feet long with 100% human power with this technique.

In the photo below, we made one cut on the log on the uphill side, then used the webbing technique to roll the downhill side away and clear of the trail.
DSCN1621.JPG