Thinkin about..

/ Thinkin about.. #81  
   / Thinkin about.. #83  
Hey ksbrdmkr, I had a homelite 360 my dad bought in 1965 when I was a kid at home. Good saw at the time. First auto oiler I ever saw, state of the art. Used a long time. Traded it in on the husqvarna 266 se in 1984. Husqvarna is or was made by Electrolux Corp that also made jonsred and pardner chainsaws. A factory rep told me the pardner saw was lesser known and that Electrolux would put their new ideas or improvements on the pardner saws first to see how they worked out rather than put a new gadget on the husky or jonsred and it flop. Husqvarna orange means the same quality as John Deere green.Just match your saw size to your job size.

/ Thinkin about.. #84  
If you've got a Stihl/Echo dealer down the street from you, then I would consider that a no-brainer. As long as it's a quality dealer, and from your words it sounds like it is, then pick from one of those two brands.

Personally.....my MS261 will out-cut my MS391 and MS311 in any conditions. It's my go-to saw for all-purpose cutting. If I have 18+" logs that I'm bucking for firewood and making numerous repeated cuts, I'll grab my MS461.

It sounds like an MS261 or MS362 would be right in your wheel house. You could also look and getting a good condition Stihl 036, 028 Wood Boss, 034, etc. Lots of options for you out there. Maybe see if that dealer has any used saws for sale?

I'm not familiar at all with Echo stuff. But I hear they do make a range of great products as well.

/ Thinkin about.. #85  
Prior to 2020 I didn't own a saw, then I bought a tractor and now I have two saws and a forestry winch. My two Husqvarna's are a delimbing saw 435 and the big cheese 572Xp
144455615_10157859528495983_7511254798089822727_n.jpg

/ Thinkin about.. #86  
The reports I'm seeing about Makita is that they had announced they were discontinuing production of gas engine products at the end of March 2022. I have not been able to find published confirmation that that actually happened as scheduled, but it's clear they are getting out of those lines.

/ Thinkin about.. #87  
The reports I'm seeing about Makita is that they had announced they were discontinuing production of gas engine products at the end of March 2022. I have not been able to find published confirmation that that actually happened as scheduled, but it's clear they are getting out of those lines.
I wonder if it’s a profitability thing, or a climate change thing?
I just hope they sell the line off to someone and keep making those saws.

/ Thinkin about.. #88  
Im sure its a climate change, emissions thing. Honda has also stopped making lawn equipment due to not being able to meet the emissions standards. HK Honda To Stop Manufacturing All Gas Powered Lawn Mowers
I cant wait until all fuels are banned in the name of a new green world and we have to clean up and power cities after a major hurricane/F4 tornadoes, earthquakes with electric backhoes, electric chain saws and solar powered generators. Clown world is going to be exciting.

/ Thinkin about.. #89  
I wonder if it’s a profitability thing, or a climate change thing?
I just hope they sell the line off to someone and keep making those saws.
Makita claimed that the gas power products was only 5% of their annual sales volume.

/ Thinkin about.. #90  
Just replaced my Husky 562XP with the Echo 620. Lost the bearings in the 6 yr old Husky, not sure why. Have only run one tank of gas through the Echo, but seems to have the power I was use to, controls set up logically, like the sprocket outside the clutch, see thru gas tank. It does have a lot of plastic, but so does everything else. Time will tell about how it lasts, but it was also $599 instead of $900+ for the comparable size Stihl or Husky. The 5 year warranty and a good dealer also helped.
I run 40:1

A little more insurance for the bearings.