Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #331  
thank for the explanation this clears the water a lot... everyone seems to be scared of this ''new tech'' probably just something to get used too ...
My husqvarna computer carbs have been great. They've needed nothing but chains,gas,and oil. I don't miss the old adjustable carbs at all.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #332  
indeed, I wouldn't touch anything less than 60cc ... anyone has had an electronically controlled fuel injection chainsaw for a while ?? the first one (ms 500i) entered the market in 2012, the first Husky came out in 2018. Pretty resent still but with the carburetor one being discontinued I am wandering what is your experience so far with fuel injections?
I'm not aware of Husqvarna having anything fuel injected. They have auto tune which is a computer controlled carb. I've had no trouble with either of mine.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #333  
Did some more felling today. (Ice storm a month ago has left a good many topped pines). Saw still bogging some.

I’m not going to rush out and get a bigger saw but at this point it is officially on the wish list.
Haven't read all 34 pages of this topic but I just started using chainsaws (I have 3 now) for the first time since moving to the country.
All are 20" and the same brand (Echo). I don't cut near what you are cutting but one thing I've learned is to always keep the chain sharp and the chainsaw clean after every use.
If I hit dirt with the chain I switch to another chain saw.
Every time I use my chainsaw I know it is ready to go.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #334  
Unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't take a Stihl product if you gave it to me for free. We've got a Stihl Farm Boss saw and a weed trimmer and a hedge trimmer/limb saw, all bought new a few years ago. The limb/hedge trimmer combo works fairly well most of the time, the chain saw and weed trimmer are complete trash. They are extremely difficult to start. The motors are very cold natured and run like crap. The saw in particular seems to require constant adjustment of the bar and chain and the design is a tooled design so eventually the set screws wear out and require replacement. Every time I have to use those Stihl tools I end up cussing. I hate them. Never again.

I've resorted to using the decades-old Dolmar saw whenever I have big jobs and my 24v electric Kobalt saw for medium or small jobs, and I guess I'm buying a new weed trimmer next spring. Stihl makes over-priced and over-hyped products. Sort of like GM trucks....objectively the worst on the market but still sell in quantity simply due to the name.
There’s a bit of a difference between a pro saw vs something like a wood boss ms 029/290. Their newer stuff has been pretty good the filters on the 500i still could be better but it does the job ok like the 562 do as well.
15E4503C-31BB-4595-A3BF-803DE1512D31.jpeg
6FC6D28B-EF10-474F-9E36-F293D59ECD5F.jpeg
C0B24647-64FF-4BE2-8833-2AC3436F9583.jpeg
This gives you a rough idea of what I’ve ran and do still run for falling, the 500i is my primary falling saw anymore one for weight and two the way it handles. That 562 is a very early model and finally has been retired from falling duties to landing saw where I couldn’t get away from my guys even if I wanted they are a great little as well.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #335  
My husqvarna computer carbs have been great. They've needed nothing but chains,gas,and oil. I don't miss the old adjustable carbs at all.
Having ran them hard since 2012 we’ve had very few issues but when the auto tune does act up it enough you’re normally done for the day such as a no start from heat.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #336  
Having ran them hard since 2012 we’ve had very few issues but when the auto tune does act up it enough you’re normally done for the day such as a no start from heat.
I heard that was an issue early on but supposedly fixed with several updates. I've never had that issue with mine.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #337  
I heard that was an issue early on but supposedly fixed with several updates. I've never had that issue with mine.
Only had it happen once it wasn’t even a warm day but it had been ran extremely hard for 5.5 hrs cutting large cedar and alder.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #338  
Ms261 and ms462 here. After using smaller saws for years, the first time the 462 was used on white oak I thought the tree was rotten. Nope, just very efficient and fast. It's a good combination. Lots of lightweight power for large wood, the other light and maneuverable for climbing around limbing and in brush. I work alone, would generally not ask for help, and "older" like the op. They are both a beast for their intended purpose. Very happy with the combination. But it's getting to the point where its the 462, all day, for almost everything. It's a very productive unit.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #339  
Skeans 1 - How do you like the Echo?

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #340  
Unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't take a Stihl product if you gave it to me for free. We've got a Stihl Farm Boss saw and a weed trimmer and a hedge trimmer/limb saw, all bought new a few years ago. The limb/hedge trimmer combo works fairly well most of the time, the chain saw and weed trimmer are complete trash. They are extremely difficult to start. The motors are very cold natured and run like crap. The saw in particular seems to require constant adjustment of the bar and chain and the design is a tooled design so eventually the set screws wear out and require replacement. Every time I have to use those Stihl tools I end up cussing. I hate them. Never again.

I've resorted to using the decades-old Dolmar saw whenever I have big jobs and my 24v electric Kobalt saw for medium or small jobs, and I guess I'm buying a new weed trimmer next spring. Stihl makes over-priced and over-hyped products. Sort of like GM trucks....objectively the worst on the market but still sell in quantity simply due to the name.
Funny but my '70s Stihl 031AV is my "nothing else is working right" go-to saw :p that SOB will always start and pull, though it's noisyAF and heavy