Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #311  
All the saw I worked on are choke out and trigger to set high idle, just when you get to that point changes.
Sounds like the 590 and 620 are similar, based on the same design at least.
If you try to pull too many times with choke on, just floods.

Putting the brake on is for safety during starts, especially ones off the ground (drop starts etc.)

Never start by holding the trigger, most saws will flood pretty quick.

Husky, Jonsered etc. are similar choke systems. But as with everything, some saws are slightly different and some completely different. toggle switch or momentary contact for power on.
Points (on much older saws) or electronic spark. Chokes that connect to start switch vs. separate.

Some have purge bulbs, some don't, some big saws have decompression buttons, some have spring assist.

I buy from a shop and he starts the saws and makes sure they are setup. Then I ask him what I will do wrong first with starting it, and he shows me :cool:

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #312  
All the saw I worked on are choke out and trigger to set high idle, just when you get to that point changes.
Sounds like the 590 and 620 are similar, based on the same design at least.
If you try to pull too many times with choke on, just floods.

Putting the brake on is for safety during starts, especially ones off the ground (drop starts etc.)

Never start by holding the trigger, most saws will flood pretty quick.

Husky, Jonsered etc. are similar choke systems. But as with everything, some saws are slightly different and some completely different. toggle switch or momentary contact for power on.
Points (on much older saws) or electronic spark. Chokes that connect to start switch vs. separate.

Some have purge bulbs, some don't, some big saws have decompression buttons, some have spring assist.

I buy from a shop and he starts the saws and makes sure they are setup. Then I ask him what I will do wrong first with starting it, and he shows me :cool:
I'll admit, I have never set the brake ever. Not even on the big Magnums I worked on.

I have worked on many and about the only time I hold it WFO is in a flooded condition. Hold on because she will catch and go. Sthil saws on cold start have a full and partial setting on the throttle and choke. Pretty Irish proof. I have a 26 y/o 036 Pro that is testament to that.

Most shops worth your coin will do that and trust me Nothing is Irish proof. There are warning labels on everything because of me. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #313  
Thanks everyone for the education about skip chains on longer bars! I appreciate the instruction!

I’m planning to add a Stihl 261 CM to my line up and while it’s not going to be carrying a real long bar it is good to have that information.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #316  
Thanks everyone for the education about skip chains on longer bars! I appreciate the instruction!

I’m planning to add a Stihl 261 CM to my line up and while it’s not going to be carrying a real long bar it is good to have that information.
Stihl 261 CM is one of the best all-around chainsaws.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #317  
If I was to buy a new saw today in 50cc. I would be buying the echo 501 or 4910. Both come with carbs you can still tune yourself. Very light saw too.

Dealer on my chainsaw repair group has 4910 for $300 right now PHO = no b+c and 501 in the low $4's same way.

Cheaper version 4910 in pic showing weight as they come PHO.
e4910weightt.jpg

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #318  
I am 80 years old and run a 20 inch Stihl saw MS261C. Recently added a 16 inch Makita saw for smaller branches. Using the excavator to lift the logs into a more comfortable position and the Stihl saw is very quick on cutting them into firewood lengths

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #319  
I am 80 years old and run a 20 inch Stihl saw MS261C. Recently added a 16 inch Makita saw for smaller branches. Using the excavator to lift the logs into a more comfortable position and the Stihl saw is very quick on cutting them into firewood lengths
Nice to have an excavator. I have a tractor with a 4-way bucket, but I rarely use it to grapple logs. It can make the tractor tippy if the logs are not centered. I just use the Woodchuck Tools Timberjack to get the logs off the ground and roll them when needed. And I love my MS500i. Least fatiguing saw I have ever used.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #320  
My JD dealer had a couple Stihl 261 C's 'on sale' for $639 today with a 'list' price of $699. I also found one at a local lumber yard. It was marked $699 and they did not mention the 'sale' price.