Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #321  
Buy a new, bigger saw - get a younger guy to run it for you.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #322  
For larger than 12" trees you are in at least 60cc territory. You will be surprised what size tree you can work up with a 60cc even with a 20" bar. I see nice used 036 pro's and 361's for $3-400.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #323  
indeed, I wouldn't touch anything less than 60cc ... anyone has had an electronically controlled fuel injection chainsaw for a while ?? the first one (ms 500i) entered the market in 2012, the first Husky came out in 2018. Pretty resent still but with the carburetor one being discontinued I am wandering what is your experience so far with fuel injections?

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #324  
The MS500i is fuel injected. It's Stihls only FI saw. It's only been available in the US for a year or so. The TS series concrete saws have used the same FI setup for a while. By all accounts it is pretty reliable.

The CM series Stihls have computer controlled carbs. Which is not the same as FI, it's more primitive. The computer controls the carb jets. Those have been around for longer and use tech originated by Husqvarna and used in some of their saws. There are regular carb versions of many of the CM saws. It's actually pretty cool- the computer only needs to measure the engine rpms in order to figure out how to set the carb. There's no sensors to go bad.

Like the FI saws the CM saws are also reliable. There's a reset procedure that you can use to make the computer start from defaults and relearn your saw. I have not needed to do it for my CM saws. They just run like perfectly tuned regular carb saws without me needing to get out the screwdriver and tach. I'd be fine with more CM saws.

The one issue with my CM saws is that you need to idle the saw for 5 seconds or so before shutting it down. If you're cutting and just cut the ignition (like when you're backing away from a tree after making the felling cut) the computer will wind up setting the mixture too rich when you go to restart and it will act like you left the choke on too long. Opening the throttle leans out the mix and allows it to start.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #325  
The MS500i is fuel injected. It's Stihls only FI saw. It's only been available in the US for a year or so. The TS series concrete saws have used the same FI setup for a while. By all accounts it is pretty reliable.

The CM series Stihls have computer controlled carbs. Which is not the same as FI, it's more primitive. The computer controls the carb jets. Those have been around for longer and use tech originated by Husqvarna and used in some of their saws. There are regular carb versions of many of the CM saws. It's actually pretty cool- the computer only needs to measure the engine rpms in order to figure out how to set the carb. There's no sensors to go bad.

Like the FI saws the CM saws are also reliable. There's a reset procedure that you can use to make the computer start from defaults and relearn your saw. I have not needed to do it for my CM saws. They just run like perfectly tuned regular carb saws without me needing to get out the screwdriver and tach. I'd be fine with more CM saws.

The one issue with my CM saws is that you need to idle the saw for 5 seconds or so before shutting it down. If you're cutting and just cut the ignition (like when you're backing away from a tree after making the felling cut) the computer will wind up setting the mixture too rich when you go to restart and it will act like you left the choke on too long. Opening the throttle leans out the mix and allows it to start.
thank for the explanation this clears the water a lot... everyone seems to be scared of this ''new tech'' probably just something to get used too ...

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #326  
I’m supposed to pick up a new Stihl 261 CM tomorrow afternoon. I had been looking for one and they were nowhere to be found. Then I ran across two in the same day. The one I’m getting is $639. On sale.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #327  
thank for the explanation this clears the water a lot... everyone seems to be scared of this ''new tech'' probably just something to get used too ...

Thats me, I never take anything to a shop, I fix all my own equipment. However, my MS391 won't even pull the chain so I dropped it off at the shop. I probably should have tackled it because it has been 5 days now... Twice I had it at the shop while it was under warranty for off idle bog, but they never did fix it. It is 3.5 years old now. I kinda suspect the coil, I have read they can be problematic.

I like the looks of the new MS400 but it is even more electronic. Also looking at a 590 Echo for half the money. They appear to be good saws.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #328  
I run a Husky 550xp and a 572xp. Love them both. 572 is amazing.

If I could only have one saw, it would be a 562xp
Older thread and older post but I'll echo this.

Im not up on current saws. And Im a dolmar guy. And I still like dolmar. But picked up a 562xp at an auction for $280 and it came with 4 good 20" bars and about 20 spare chains only used/sharpened once or twice each.

Even being a dolmar guy, its kinda my go-to mid sized saw. Good power to weight, its light and fast. It isnt a beast like my big dolmar, but isnt as heavy either.

So my advice to anyone looking for a mid-sized saw in the 60-70cc range....its hard to beat the 562xp

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #329  
Unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't take a Stihl product if you gave it to me for free. We've got a Stihl Farm Boss saw and a weed trimmer and a hedge trimmer/limb saw, all bought new a few years ago. The limb/hedge trimmer combo works fairly well most of the time, the chain saw and weed trimmer are complete trash. They are extremely difficult to start. The motors are very cold natured and run like crap. The saw in particular seems to require constant adjustment of the bar and chain and the design is a tooled design so eventually the set screws wear out and require replacement. Every time I have to use those Stihl tools I end up cussing. I hate them. Never again.

I've resorted to using the decades-old Dolmar saw whenever I have big jobs and my 24v electric Kobalt saw for medium or small jobs, and I guess I'm buying a new weed trimmer next spring. Stihl makes over-priced and over-hyped products. Sort of like GM trucks....objectively the worst on the market but still sell in quantity simply due to the name.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #330  
Unpopular opinion here, but I wouldn't take a Stihl product if you gave it to me for free. We've got a Stihl Farm Boss saw and a weed trimmer and a hedge trimmer/limb saw, all bought new a few years ago. The limb/hedge trimmer combo works fairly well most of the time, the chain saw and weed trimmer are complete trash. They are extremely difficult to start. The motors are very cold natured and run like crap. The saw in particular seems to require constant adjustment of the bar and chain and the design is a tooled design so eventually the set screws wear out and require replacement. Every time I have to use those Stihl tools I end up cussing. I hate them. Never again.

I've resorted to using the decades-old Dolmar saw whenever I have big jobs and my 24v electric Kobalt saw for medium or small jobs, and I guess I'm buying a new weed trimmer next spring. Stihl makes over-priced and over-hyped products. Sort of like GM trucks....objectively the worst on the market but still sell in quantity simply due to the name.
I've tried to like them. I've bought several Stihl products over the years. They were either lacking in performance or problematic. Got rid of all of them.