Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #261  
I have no need for a more finicky chain regardless of its performance benefits. I'm a weekend warrior at best.

And in that regard, for the range of work I'll be doing (felling smaller trees, limbing, bucking, clean up of downed trees and stumps) even the off-the-shelf round ground full chisel is an experiment. My chain will invariably hit the ground from time to time. If it dulls too easily I'll go back to the homeowner semi-chisel chains.....which dull easily enough.

For now I'm using the 025 for limbing and close to the ground work. It has a 16" bar (I think I had said it was 18" before). I'll keep the semi-chisel chain on it. The MS271 will be mostly for bucking and some limbing. For now I like the round ground full chisel. We'll see how long it stays sharp and whether or not I can keep it out of the dirt.

For me, the only question that remains is will I eventually want/need a 60-70cc saw. My son-in-law isn't always going to be there when I want or need to drop a larger tree (for me large is 20+ inches and 80-100 feet). Yes, discretion is the better part of valor sometimes but that could be said about many of the things I'm still capable of doing. I'm not in a hurry and I'm not itching for a new toy at this point.

for you only question remaining, when you have a perfectly sharpen chain with your current saw and chopping a 18 inch diameter log or so are you frustrated with it ? do you think its slow and running out of power ? if yes to both question then yes get a bigger one if not the keep your saw I dont think anyone can answer this question for you... I know you would like a bigger bar and for 20 inch plus threes I can understand and it will slow down your current saw if you put a bigger bar on it .... I know personally I grew up using my dad chainsaw a 75cc saw and its amazing I love it despite being heavy but I love when you squeeze the gas and the bar get up by itself. When I bought my first saw it was a 35cc it was hauling around on the quad and such but I couldn't stand it I've cut one one three with it and I was ready to throw that thing as far as I could that thing is in my garage still brand new... so I went and bout a 50cc one on a 16inch bar I am content with I like the light weight of it but it could be a bit more powerful but for what I do with it its fine for me. If id put a bigger bar on it id probably get frustrated with it tho.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
for you only question remaining, when you have a perfectly sharpen chain with your current saw and chopping a 18 inch diameter log or so are you frustrated with it ? do you think its slow and running out of power ? if yes to both question then yes get a bigger one if not the keep your saw I dont think anyone can answer this question for you... I know you would like a bigger bar and for 20 inch plus threes I can understand and it will slow down your current saw if you put a bigger bar on it .... I know personally I grew up using my dad chainsaw a 75cc saw and its amazing I love it despite being heavy but I love when you squeeze the gas and the bar get up by itself. When I bought my first saw it was a 35cc it was hauling around on the quad and such but I couldn't stand it I've cut one one three with it and I was ready to throw that thing as far as I could that thing is in my garage still brand new... so I went and bout a 50cc one on a 16inch bar I am content with I like the light weight of it but it could be a bit more powerful but for what I do with it its fine for me. If id put a bigger bar on it id probably get frustrated with it tho.
MY MS271 is a decent 50cc saw. I saw a video where they dyno'ed non-pro level 50cc saws and the MS271 was the most powerful in its class for whatever that might be worth. But with some of the things I do it tends to be slightly under powered and a 20" bar just not quite long enough. Yes, I admit that it is possible to do what I want to do using the MS271. Just not ideal. Three things keep me from buying a bigger saw: 1) As mentioned, I can make the MS271 do these 'bigger' jobs. 2) The things I need a bigger saw for are fairly infrequent at this point. 3) Right now, there are other things I'd prefer to do with $700-$1000.

If milling logs on the new sawmill turns out to be something I'm going to do a lot and harvesting some of my bigger pines becomes a regular thing then I might bite.

Plus, and most folks here will admit it, it is a fine thing when you have just the right tool for the job. One of the finer pleasures in life if you ask me.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #263  
I have no need for a more finicky chain regardless of its performance benefits. I'm a weekend warrior at best.
Pretty much why I don't mess with square ground chain. I'm not doing this to pay the mortgage or put food on the table, so the marginal increase in performance doesn't mean that much to me. Plus, I enjoy hand filing while working in the woods. I won't always notice when I'm getting tired/dehydrated/hungry, but I will notice a dull chain immediately. Stopping to sharpen forces me to slow down and take stock and take care of myself as well.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Pretty much why I don't mess with square ground chain. I'm not doing this to pay the mortgage or put food on the table, so the marginal increase in performance doesn't mean that much to me. Plus, I enjoy hand filing while working in the woods. I won't always notice when I'm getting tired/dehydrated/hungry, but I will notice a dull chain immediately. Stopping to sharpen forces me to slow down and take stock and take care of myself as well.
Good points!

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #265  
I run a Husky 550xp and a 572xp. Love them both. 572 is amazing.

If I could only have one saw, it would be a 562xp

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #266  
I run a Husky 550xp and a 572xp. Love them both. 572 is amazing.

If I could only have one saw, it would be a 562xp
If we still had a Husqvarna servicing dealer in my area, I probably would have already retired my 357XP and gotten a 562XP. We have some local guys who work on chainsaws who are pretty good, but they can't do any of the software/computer stuff.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #267  
I wanted a new saw before this storm, researched the Stihl's,,
I was hung between the MS391 and a MS261C-M,,
Well, I picked up both, and told the guy that I would take the 261C-M,,
it was that simple.

THERE was THAT much difference in weight,, it was radical,, to me.
I knew I would not run the MS391 much if I bought that one,, it is heavy.

The MS391 is a homeowners big horsepower saw, at a cheap price,,
The penalty is weight.

I think the MS261C-M has the same HP,, but, it felt 20% lighter.
The MS261C-M is the "entry level" professional saw.
The MS261 is a narrower profile saw,, also,
it will fit into tighter spaces.

IMHO, the MS261C-M is a beast,, to me,,
My other saw is a Stihl 029 Super,, also a nice saw,,

The 029 Super did not seem to be running right,,
it is so old, I was afraid of wasting money trying to get it serviced.
I asked the Stihl guy if they had an air filter,, he went and looked,
I got the last one they had,, that may help my 029,,, ??

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #268  
If we still had a Husqvarna servicing dealer in my area, I probably would have already retired my 357XP and gotten a 562XP. We have some local guys who work on chainsaws who are pretty good, but they can't do any of the software/computer stuff.
Husqvarna is the underdog around here but it's what I like. Maybe I'm lucky but I never have issues. I use them a lot, use good fuel, keep the chains sharp, keep them fairly clean with compressed air. I haven't taken anything in for service yet. I've got their saws, blowers,hedge trimmers and pole saw.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #269  
I own 2 Husqvarna 455 Ranchers. The 2nd was laying in a friends shed for years and may have never been used. He gave it to a few months back. I've had the other one for years and it has been flawless ... with the exception of the chain brake.

I think I'm going to drop both of them off for service this spring just for grins.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #270  

I’ve had a 555 since 2012 I think and a 562 since 2013 neither of them have missed a beat. You’ve seen some of the pictures of the abuse I’ve put them through over the years it’s a hard saw to honestly not try.