Thinkin about..

/ Thinkin about.. #101  
Like every saw maker, they also made some saws which were not intended for full-time commercial use. I wonder what models your buddies were using?
this was in mid to late 2000s.

5100 and 7900

/ Thinkin about.. #103  
this was in mid to late 2000s.

5100 and 7900
The 7900 would be fine for logging and heavy use. the 5100 was a decent saw if you turned them down. They didn't like running at 14,500 very well. Reminds me of the Husky 262xp that topped out at 15,500 and the dealers were bragging about it being the fastest cutting saw on the market, and six months later if you wanted to get rid of the salesman mention the 262xp. they were cooking cylinders.

/ Thinkin about.. #105  
You didn't watch the video, that is obvioius. The guy from "Project Farm" does an excellent job comparing all sorts of products. I am guessing he has an engineering background given his methods for testing. He is not a celebrity. I have used Stihl's for 40 years. There is nothing better although they are the most expensive. I have never had one not start and their chains are great. No one said to throw away their chainsaws. It just depends on your budget and how one plans on using their saws.
Really dont care. Im sure if you watch enough of his videos you will know almost everything about everything. Wonder how that will work on a job resume? My experience as a diesel mechanic is watching Utube videos.

/ Thinkin about.. #106  
But what was their commercial warranty.
Echo has a 5 year consumer and 1 year commercial warranty on chainsaws in the US.

/ Thinkin about.. #107  
You are correct and I stand corrected. Never had an issue with any of mine. One thing I like about them is, they don't oil the chain unless the drive sprocket is turning. I have 3 as well as 4 Stihl's all carbed and all on synthetic fuel.

/ Thinkin about.. #109  
The 7900 would be fine for logging and heavy use. the 5100 was a decent saw if you turned them down. They didn't like running at 14,500 very well. Reminds me of the Husky 262xp that topped out at 15,500 and the dealers were bragging about it being the fastest cutting saw on the market, and six months later if you wanted to get rid of the salesman mention the 262xp. they were cooking cylinders.
I never was impressed with the Dolmars. I didn't think they were all they claimed. They didn't seem well built to me. Felt cheap.

Never had an issue with my 262s . No issues with my 346s or 357s either. Then again, I had good luck the the t540, first gen 550 and 562 that everyone supposedly had issues with.

/ Thinkin about.. #110  
I never was impressed with the Dolmars. I didn't think they were all they claimed. They didn't seem well built to me. Felt cheap.
The low end Dolmar/makita saws seem cheap in some ways. The downside of the larger commercial saws was I think the spring isolators seem too flexible in some cases. But I also hate the plastic chassis, the yo-yo starters,and the crappy narrow torque curve on stihl saws.