3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain?

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My third Stihl 291 chainsaw has just died on me and I'm not gonna buy another. My brother has a Husqvarna 460 with a 24 inch bar that fires up quickly and it has a ton of power. The bar is longer then I like, so I'm looking at 20 inch bars for it.

On Amazon, there are two 20 inch Oregon bar and chain combo's that have come up.

One is called an AdvanceCut has a 3/8 pitch and .050" gauge with 72 links for $40 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073XNS4DZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

The other is called a VersaCut, and it has a .325 pitch and 0.58" cut with 78 links for $64 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQ49Q9N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AM0TJKCE8MD21&psc=1

I'm tempted to buy the more expensive one because it has a wider cut and more links. I'm assuming that more links means more cutting teeth? and a wider cut will cut faster?

and then there is the Husqvarna bar and chain combo for $98 that has the 3/8 pitch and .050 gauge with 72 links. This seems like the same thing that Oregon is selling for less then half that. Is there any reason to stick with Husqvarna parts over Oregon? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQ49Q9N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AM0TJKCE8MD21&psc=1

I'm using the saw to cut rounds for firewood, but also taking off branches and the stump so I can get the tree to the burn pile, or firewood pile. Faster cutting is my main goal.

Thank you

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #2  
Personally, I hate 325 chain, but you have to have the sprocket on the saw for one size or the other, what does the saw have? You can buy the sprockets in either size and change them, if you want.

I bought a 3/8 sprocket for my small saw and gave away all of my 325 chain!

Did I mention that I hate 325 chain??

SR

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #4  
.325 has more teeth per inch and is slightly narrower. It's normally used on 45-55cc saws. 60cc saws usually use 3/8.

If you switch from 3/8 to .325 you'll need a new sprocket in addition to a new chain and bar. They all have to match.

Many Huskies come with .58 wide drivers on the chain. The chain and bar have to match here but the sprocket will work for .50, .58 and .63. I prefer .50 as it's the most common and easiest to get chains for in my area.

The bar has to fit on the saw, and the chain length has to match the bar length. Bars have the chain length and other info stamped on them.

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #5  
More teeth doesn't mean it will cut faster, and in some cases more teeth can actually cause it to cut slower. More teeth can result in more drag which slows the entire process done plus more teeth can result in less chip carrying capacity which causes the chain to spend more time cleaning out the chips than it does cutting wood. That is part of the reason why skip link chain is recommended for longer bars.

And a 60cc saw running the k095 mount. They have to be kidding. That size saw should have the D009 bar mount. I guess that is how Husky limits bar length to 24 inches and those bars are not really common.

Last edited:
   / 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #6  
Most if not all the husky 460's come with 3/8 pitch chain, and definitely get 3/8 and 20" bar. I have the Husky 455 20" bar with 3/8" chain.

I also dislike .325 chain.

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #8  
455 460 here all come with 3/8. So unless your wanting to change the rim sprocket or the spur drum. Just stick with 3/8 on that saw.

/ 3/8 or .325 chainsaw chain? #9  
Get a echo 45 to 50 cc head with a 20" bar. I think mine was called Timber wolf.