Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #281  
The 346XP NE with a good woods port, reduced squish, Muffler mod and a reduced weight 18 inch bar and sharp chain would still be right up there for a really light, Powerful, Screamer, "firewood" saw.
ah, What do I know- I still like carbs.šŸ˜
I used to like carbs but my auto tunes have been flawless. 550 for three years. 572 for almost two.

Even my beloved 371 sits and collects dust.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #282  
I'm putting up wood for next year this week and much to my surprise I have found that the heavier 390 is an easier saw to use all day than my 271. I think it's mostly because the 390 has so much power it shortens the cut time significantly and reduces fatigue because of that.

I'm 71 and well on my way to 72 and the DW and I have cut and split about three cords so far with two more to go. Much of what I have to cut up is 16 to 24 inches across and is all oak.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Cut down some 18ā€ 80ā€™ pines this weekend with the Farm Boss. Sharp full chisel chain. The full chisel chain is definitely better than the semi chisel chains I am used to.

It does okay but at full bite, as in half way through the tree, it still tends to bog a little. It is not a big deal and still not enough reason to buy a bigger saw.

But, as projects accumulate and call for larger trees I may still consider a larger saw.

Oddly, I feel like this full chisel chain is staying sharp longer than the semi chisel which I understand is not typically the case. Probably several reasons. First, itā€™s new. Second, almost entirely pine this time. Minimal hardwood. Third, I managed to keep it out of the dirt for several weeks. One brush with the dirt late Saturday made it fall off a bit. Will try my hand at sharpening a full chisel for the first time this coming weekend.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #284  
After I bought my first chisel chain, I never looked back. They cut faster. Any chain dulls when put in the dirt. I do a lot of trail clearing - cutting stumps off close to the ground and I don't notice a loss of performance any worse than a semi chisel in the dirt.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #285  
I have also gone to a full chisel chain which I think is contributing to the faster cuts. My experience is they seem to stay sharper longer than the semi-chisel chains as well.

I am using Oregon chains which are holding up really well and are significantly less expensive then Stihl chains.

I have not tried to sharpen the full chisel with the Oregon electric sharpener yet. Its been a while since I did some chains so I probably need to go watch a couple of YT videos again before I do them this week.

I do keep a couple of "this is the last sharpening you are going to get" chains to use when I'm cutting stumps or other cuts where I'm likely to get into some dirt.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #286  
I know this has probably already been hashed out but has anyone "stepped down" in chain, bar and sprocket size? I do and it speeds my 036 Pro right up. ;)

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #287  
Some people who do chainsaw milling using big saws run 3/8 low profile chain. The narrower kerf makes for faster cutting. I'd probably want to keep the same effective sprocket size near as possible (3/8 and .325 are not directly comparable since the pitch is different). Smaller sprocket means slower chain.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy.
Did some more felling today. (Ice storm a month ago has left a good many topped pines). Saw still bogging some.

Iā€™m not going to rush out and get a bigger saw but at this point it is officially on the wish list.

/ Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #289  
No matter what size, you really need to try a modded saw. I just got a modded 50cc Echo. Very light, and fighting above its weight. Nothing like having a saw that handles like a lighter saw, and performs like a heavier saw. Win - Win.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on a larger chainsaw for an older guy. #290  
I know this has probably already been hashed out but has anyone "stepped down" in chain, bar and sprocket size? I do and it speeds my 036 Pro right up. ;)
I haven't stepped down on chain, but did modify an 8 tooth drive sprocket to fit where the original was a 7 on my husky 350 with the short bar.

With a short 16 inch bar and increased chain speed plus adding a factory "black" unlimited RPM coil It revs higher to.

The saw really does cut Noticeably faster than it did stock. This is also as mentioned earlier a modded saw.

Also like mentioned a couple posts back, running full chisel chains on all my saws as well, after I tried my first one They do seem to cut better/ faster.

ps. just inherited another saw today for free, a little poulan 38cc

No idea if it runs yet. i am going to weigh it against my 50cc Husky's

if it weighs more than them someone else i know is getting a free saw.

Last edited: