Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #111  
This item is very similar to an aircraft attitude indicator (bank angle and climb-decent angle). Both are needed and both can save your life. However, that being said, tractors are not airborne, and if you need something like this on a tractor, maybe you should not be doing what your are doing or thinking of doing? I agree with the conversation regarding center of gravity (CG). That too is very critical in aircraft loading, as it too could save your life. Aircraft normally use a CG loading graph/chart, which is fore/aft center-line calculation. After all the calculations, consideration is given to flight time and how reduced fuel will change the CG during the flight. If ever the CG falls outside the CG envelope, you are in a no fly situation. I am not sure how this would work on a tractor, but who knows. Maybe manufacturers should seriously look into this. While placarding a tractor with never exceed limits might work, but there is always someone who will try to defy gravity.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #112  
I have an inclinometer. But i use it to set crowns, nd cross slopes on driveways.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #113  
I made a incline measuring rig, just to verify how steep a stuff I was mowing, etc. On foot. Not used while mowing obviously. Weighted string serves to mark the degree/% of slope manually. And of course the old way of doing it...
P1160789.JPG
20200809_112758crop.jpg
20200610_145130.jpg

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #114  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
Two important things. you need to determine the state of your land. Unless you are working on other peoples land, you should know what you are working on. Measure it. The lay of the land is very deceiving, what looks like 5 degrees can be 7 or 10. Know the capability of your equipment and know how you move that equipment over the land. For Instance, never go down a steep hill with the loader fully loaded, back down the hill, keeping the weight up hill. Mow uphill on steep ground. Once you have worked the land long enough, you will learn that the leaning feeling is just that and you equipment is capable without fear. Of course, take every precaution.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #115  
Very true Mr axeman79. I know my farm down to every ground hog hole and sink hole and land slip on the place. But mowing on other people's places, especially the first time, I am creeping, tiptoeing around. Recall one especially where the dense woody weeds were higher than the tractor and no way in the world to tell if you were driving in to a hole, over a rock or fence post or who knows what. Sometimes you can do a scouting walk thru before you mow but sometimes even that is not practical either. Just go slow.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #116  
JWR, I tried to quote you but for some reason it didn't work. You've given some good tips for those that aren't familiar with it, on how to actually check slopes. And, you gave me a laugh with the 3rd photo in your post above because it reminded me of the first time I ever got the idea to mount a gauge on my grader. I bolted a 2 foot long straightened coat hanger "dangeler" over the circular table that holds the blade and a board marked with the slope in inches per foot on top of the table, so I could adjust blade as necessary. Of course My max slope was only 3/4 of an inch per foot for shoulders. It worked so good it wasn't long before the boss bought me a real slope gauge, but it was harder to see. I also had slope boards like yours in first photo, up to 10 ft long made from aluminum window moulding with permanently mounted level bubble and threaded rod to adjust it to desired slope.

If you have a cab, a no cost dangeler type could be easily be mounted over the windshield and the critical graduations marked with a sharpie on the windshield. However as others have mentioned, rollover angle does not depend on a fixed number for a particular machine. The factors of dropping in a hole on low side, hitting a rock on high side, speed, turning, carrying bucket too high, etc, etc, figure in.
Whenever I got into a pucker power situation, I was 100% aware that if it felt like it might go, turn that steering downhill immediately. I was amazed on my first landfill job that vibratory rollers had the traction and low center of gravity, to run up and down the up to 45 degree slopes right along with the dozers.
Be safe and not sorry or dead!!
Smiley

Last edited:
  • Good Post
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #117  
Very true Mr axeman79. I know my farm down to every ground hog hole and sink hole and land slip on the place. But mowing on other people's places, especially the first time, I am creeping, tiptoeing around. Recall one especially where the dense woody weeds were higher than the tractor and no way in the world to tell if you were driving in to a hole, over a rock or fence post or who knows what. Sometimes you can do a scouting walk thru before you mow but sometimes even that is not practical either. Just go slow.
This post brought to mind what I just learned recently.. that I don't have liability coverage if I take any of my "stuff" off my premises. Only with an addition to my house policy for the specific machines. I volunteer regularly to help neighbors and others with mowing, hauling, loader work, grapple work, spraying, etc.
So just added the gator, lawn mowers, and 4300 to cover my rear end "just in case".

So far, because I helped out a neighbor mowing with the 455, adding liability amounted to $8 a year. Checking on the other pieces, but want (need) proof of insurance later this week when I plan to take the gator to the Badger Steam & Gas show near Baraboo, WI.
That is what caught my attention so had to find out.. that I wasn't covered off my premises.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #118  
I’m in the same boat... I bought a very hilly piece of property in west TN. Very nervous about some of the areas that need to be cut. I put this on my Kubota M6800. It’s more to help me learn where my comfort level ends than to push the edge of the envelope of the tractor’s limits. I used rubber washers when mounting it to try to deaden a little of the vibration.

I mounted the same thing on my Side by side. I ride questionable areas in that first to see what the inclinometer shows.

1628983364487.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Good Post
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #119  
To reiterate what I previously said...it's all about the center of gravity...the higher the COG the more tippy the tractor...

Anyone else seem to notice a large number of pictures of tractors on TBN have their loader buckets fully raised for no apparent reason ?...(posing for pics I guess)...?

IMO unless you are loading a truck or dumpster etc over a high sideboard etc...there is no reason to ever raise a bucket that high...even to get to some zerks etc...
yes, at least half the pictures in just this thread alone show a picture with the fel bucket all the way up. I was noticing that even before you brought it up.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #120  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
The two critical questions of working on a slope right? How steep is it? And what can my machine stand?

I guess this could answer one of those:)

Best,

ed