Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #121  
Spooler -- I like the placement of your slope guage -- not in the way, not obtrusive, not too big, just right for a reference.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #122  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
I have a JD 3720 with cab and have a great interest in rollover since 10% of owners roll their machines. When I bought it I asked dealer what a safe operating angle would be. They had no clue. I called John Deere and they referred me to the dealer. There is a way to find out that angle. Look towards the back of your operating manual and you will find the US Specification # that your tractor complies with. Google that # and you will find a SPECIFIC angle that your machine is supposed to be safe operating at. Also I do have an inclinometer stuck to the window on top of the dashboard. Also, and I think VERY IMPORTANT, I installed 6 Inch extensions on each back axle. If I get within about 10 degrees of specs I back off. Just sayin……….

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #123  
Reminds me of the old saying: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there’s not many old bold pilots.
As a former small plane pilot, I'm certain incloneter not needed for a tractor. Flying "or tractor driving" is felt in the seat of your pants. Your senses tell you instantly w/o looking at an instrument. I'm also afraid of tipping and constantly aware of it. Working in the woods with some hills, carrying heavy loads on front, potential holes or unknown stumps, are all potential tipping pitfalls. My ROPS are always up, seatbelt on every time there's a load and when I leave the clear path. Also, right hand is ALWAYS on joystick, ready to slam forward to ground to drop load instantly if something happens. Fear of tipping on tractor is nothing to be ashamed of, rather a sign of caution & maturity. I'm already old at almost 75, and I wish to be a "very old, not bold, tractor operator". I still miss flying but I credit flying with msking me a safer motorcycle rider, car driver, and now a tractor operator over the years. Safety first!

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #124  
I have a JD 3720 with cab and have a great interest in rollover since 10% of owners roll their machines. When I bought it I asked dealer what a safe operating angle would be. They had no clue. I called John Deere and they referred me to the dealer. There is a way to find out that angle. Look towards the back of your operating manual and you will find the US Specification # that your tractor complies with. Google that # and you will find a SPECIFIC angle that your machine is supposed to be safe operating at. Also I do have an inclinometer stuck to the window on top of the dashboard. Also, and I think VERY IMPORTANT, I installed 6 Inch extensions on each back axle. If I get within about 10 degrees of specs I back off. Just sayin……….
I do not believe anywhere even close to 10% of tractor owners roll their machines -- NO WAY. Where did you find that ??

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #125  

So how does that US Specification know what implement I have attached, what it weights, and how high it is? How does it know what is in my loader bucket, and how high it is? Just askin.....

:)

Bruce

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #126  
So how does that US Specification know what implement I have attached, what it weights, and how high it is? How does it know what is in my loader bucket, and how high it is? Just askin.....

:)

Bruce
I would think it cannot be worth the paper it is written on if it is there. Rear wheel spacing changes the number, so does cab or no cab, so does loader or no loader, so do tire types slightly, and many other factors. I'm skeptical that any manufacturer publishes such a number . Set us straight there Steve/Georgia.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #127  
Right before it rolls take a quick look at the inclinometer so you will know where it tips the next time. My open station tractor never bothered me but my cab tractor gives me pause quite often.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #128  
Not sure where to start here. There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin. 10% of owners roll their tractors??? Where did that statistic come from? I did check my manual and there was nothing about a specification for a rollover angle. I believe in having accurate gages in anything I own but an inclinometer would be pretty much unneeded for me. Trust your instincts instead of a gage. The actual rollover angle will change based on many things. The gage will get you in a bad situation in a hurry if you let it.
As a former small plane pilot, I'm certain incloneter not needed for a tractor. Flying "or tractor driving" is felt in the seat of your pants. Your senses tell you instantly w/o looking at an instrument. I'm also afraid of tipping and constantly aware of it. Working in the woods with some hills, carrying heavy loads on front, potential holes or unknown stumps, are all potential tipping pitfalls. My ROPS are always up, seatbelt on every time there's a load and when I leave the clear path. Also, right hand is ALWAYS on joystick, ready to slam forward to ground to drop load instantly if something happens. Fear of tipping on tractor is nothing to be ashamed of, rather a sign of caution & maturity. I'm already old at almost 75, and I wish to be a "very old, not bold, tractor operator". I still miss flying but I credit flying with msking me a safer motorcycle rider, car driver, and now a tractor operator over the years. Safety first!
Well said sir.
I do not believe anywhere even close to 10% of tractor owners roll their machines -- NO WAY. Where did you find that ??
Yes, exactly. It seems like a made up "fact" to me.
Precisely what I am saying also. The gage will get you in trouble if that is your sole source of deciding what your safe parameters are.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #129  
Great discussion on tractor side rollover. As many stated your tractor configuration, terrain, implements, cg, experience all factor in. Lest we all remember that side rollovers might be less frequent than rear tipping from log skidding. A different axis (pitch) vs roll (side tipping) but I venture to say more men are killed tipping backwards than side roll. Why? You generally get a feel of uneasiness on a side slope, an internal warning. Ground log skidding using chain behind tractor can cause a rear tip over in 1 second, virtually no time to react. This is totally preventable by dragging logs with chain connected to draw bar, which is lower than rear axle centerline. If log snags on anything it pulls front of tractor down in front if skidding from drawbar below axle centerline. However if you have chain connected to box blade for example & hit a snag, rear wheels continue to turn as it very quickly tips tractor rearwards. As one guy mentioned, keep our head in the game, be aware of your terrain, loads, circumstances, & we'll live to continue learning from each other.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #130  
From the incidents I've read here over the past 20 years, most rollover deaths were into ravines, ditches, creeks and ponds with the machine pinning or crushing the operator. I don't recall many, if any, rear rollover deaths reported.