Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #101  
I’ve been everywhere I can go on my property. So, in general, I am comfortable wherever I travel.

I have some hills but not concerning.

However - and this is a big however - I have ground hogs that can create some meaningful holes.

So, it’s possible a place I’ve traversed many times safely can become an issue due to a ground hog hole. The slope isn’t too bad but get a tire into the hole on the downside angle and it can be a whole different story.

No measure of slope can help that problem. Only watching the ground helps.

MoKelly

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #102  
Agree with most here. Inclinometer is not useful. Butt-o-meter says it all. If you are uncomfortable on the slope, don't do it. Your gut is telling you why and you need no other reason. Let some other fool try to prove you wrong.

I mow a couple insanely steep properties. The steepest section that I travel (straight up and down) measures approximately 27 degrees at the worst point. Which feels like a possible roll-over going end over end. I even crouch as I drive straight up (probably look like an idiot, but makes me feel safer). On the way down I use the loader bucket heal on the ground to descend.

Knowing the slope is great, but doesn't help you in the seat. And is better measured using a long straight edge and level anyway. The best "OH-NO" tool I use? The front axle of the tractor. I constantly pay attention in my peripheral vision to the position and movement of the axle. If it dips in the downhill direction or lifts in the uphill side - STOP! Re-evaluate and you may need to back out. Every field that I know or do not, I keep that axle in view all the time. Gopher holes and drainage pipes are all over those steep properties and its saved me plenty of time from rolling over.

Those goofballs in that video need a warning. They did everything that shouldn't be done. I'm sure those tractors will tell them someday.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #103  
Before I retired can I remember many times with machines on steep slopes, getting that pucker power and wondering if you're just going to slide or flop it.
If you're really whippy about it, I noticed these audible ones. RT Tilt Switch Slope Alert and Innovate Motorsports’ RAD-1 Digital Inclinometer - 4x4Review Off Road Magazine
We had many machines with industrial slope indicators but generally not for fear of tipping them, but to maintain precise grades. I had 2 on my grader, one in the machine and one on the blade, That way once in motion, you could get tuned in and maintain whatever grade needed. Of course now that's ancient history with laser and satellite controls that basically you just steer it.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #104  
Agree with most here. Inclinometer is not useful. Butt-o-meter says it all. If you are uncomfortable on the slope, don't do it. Your gut is telling you why and you need no other reason. Let some other fool try to prove you wrong.

I mow a couple insanely steep properties. The steepest section that I travel (straight up and down) measures approximately 27 degrees at the worst point. Which feels like a possible roll-over going end over end. I even crouch as I drive straight up (probably look like an idiot, but makes me feel safer). On the way down I use the loader bucket heal on the ground to descend.

Knowing the slope is great, but doesn't help you in the seat. And is better measured using a long straight edge and level anyway. The best "OH-NO" tool I use? The front axle of the tractor. I constantly pay attention in my peripheral vision to the position and movement of the axle. If it dips in the downhill direction or lifts in the uphill side - STOP! Re-evaluate and you may need to back out. Every field that I know or do not, I keep that axle in view all the time. Gopher holes and drainage pipes are all over those steep properties and its saved me plenty of time from rolling over.

Those goofballs in that video need a warning. They did everything that shouldn't be done. I'm sure those tractors will tell them someday.
This topic gets saturated but seriously faces many. Like crashz I do not operate on anything more than around 50% slope (which is about 27 degrees.) And that is only up and down, not across the slope. I have several places I mow that are steep enough (just for short distances) that I just let the tractor down slowly over them using brakes at creeping speed gear wise. The wheel spacers make a huge difference on Kubotas espy, where rear tire spacing is poor for steep ground. I use 6" spacers on each side with a Kubota B2150. My MF2660 has the rears space 8ft apart outer edge to outer edge. I stay off slopes that won't handle. Going wider on the MF would create problems trailering it.
Going over a piece of steep ground builds your experience as to what you can and can't do. I mow some 45% steepness every month with no problems but steeper (like 50%) I do only up and down.
I've posted before that Penn State has a super demo they do each year (next week this year, Ag Progress Show) where they intentionally roll a medium sized Ford tractor using remote control to drive it & illustrating how a dummy is protected using ROPS and a seat belt. I assume PA still does that demo.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #105  
No, not at all. In fact I see wisdom on your part. My gosh a lot of people have gotten killed or seriously injured in rollovers.

I used to live mostly in the flatlands. Had a 540 with a wide front and loader for mowing, moving/stacking bales. Had a 560 narrow for the baler. That 560 was darned dangerous being a 'three wheeler.'

Now in the forest we have altogether different conditions not the least are trails that are not flat. I've put the Kubota B7100 on its side but could just step off. The JD 410J could take me to the bottom of a canyon - its so back heavy. And working with any of them? If suspicious I just plain don't go there. Its that simple. I too have swung the BH to the high side and used the separate foot brakes for traction - hopefully the low side wheel doesn't slip and dig. For the record, I have my tires filled on everything with chains year around. Ballast and chains are cheap. Retrieval and hospital/burial is expensive.

No, I won't do a incline/slope gauge. It will lie you you. Why? try getting out of a tough spot thinking you are OK and climb over a rock on the high side. You are gone unless in the lowest of low and crawling. Maybe not then. I have planted the stabilizers and dug the trail on more than one occasion when I got into it but was scared stiff to get out.

Use your wisdom and intuition. Sometimes its better to just shut things down and get out and plan for the next day.
This is some awesome experience to share!!!!

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #106  
I have one on my tractor but it's not for rollover purposes since I don't know what the point of tip is. Mine is to move material under the appropriate tire to level the tractor for clean backhoeing
Isn't that what the outriggers are for

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #107  
I agree with all who said that the inclinometer wouldn't give useful data. I also relate to the OP's apparent desire for data and knowing where is "the line" you shouldn't cross. The closest I have seen in this thread to my own thoughts was post #62 but I still haven't seen anyone come right out and say what I was thinking.

Degree of tilt/incline/list is not the value we should be interested in. Center of gravity is. Center of gravity is not some abstract concept that can't be measured. We can measure it just as we can measure degrees of list, although it would be pretty complicated to implement onto an existing tractor.

Since they are making tractors into giant computers anyway, why not implement some weight sensors in the wheel hubs or axle housings to Measure COG? It wouldn't be complicated if incorporated in the design prior to manufacture. A weight sensor at each corner of the square (or maybe should think of it as a triangle) could give you a little circle display with a dot that represents your COG. if the dot gets too close to the circle it starts beeping at you. I believe cranes have something like this.

It would work regardless of what attachments you have installed and how high they are lifted.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #108  
I still rember how it scared me good mowing a ditch with a narrow wheelbase tractor around fifty years ago. Sitting on top of a mule and riding down the wall of the Grand Canyon would probably be worse.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #109  
I've never joined a forum before, but I want to share my "experience". For the last 20 years I've spent hundreds of hours brush hogging 20 plus sites on the Oregon coast.(rarely flat) I've used several different tractors and rolled one. That one was a Chinese Tai Shan, 25 hp, 2wd, no rops, 3000lbs with a 5 ft brush hog. One year, after all the paying work was done. I got perturbed at some gorse ( a very noxious plant from Ireland ) that showed up on the back of a hill at home. Looking it over, I decided it was do-able going up and down with room to safely turn around at top and bottom. Everything was fine for several passes, then in turning uphill from the bottom a rear tire went over a log under the brush. That started a roll in slow motion. I looked at the hyd. hose's and valve on the uphill fender and thought about getting hung up there as the tractor was rolling and decided not to jump. Instead, I hunched down (mostly) between the steering wheel and the left fender. As it rolled over me I felt some crunching and decided to stay on the ground. The tractor went all the way on to it's wheels. It was running with mower turning so I figured it was best to go shut it down. After that I used my cell to call 911. Then called a neighbor to lead the ambulance to me and waited. With cracked ribs and vertibrey's, and a broken shoulder I had several weeks to think about getting rops on my tractors. Things happen.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #110  
Several of my friends were killed in tractor roll-over accidents in WV over my lifetime. Bob Mendez, Tommy Stout among others. Most or all were bush hogging at the time. All were very expereinced.