Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #91  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby...
No, not at all. In fact I see wisdom on your part. My gosh a lot of people have gotten killed or seriously injured in rollovers.

I used to live mostly in the flatlands. Had a 540 with a wide front and loader for mowing, moving/stacking bales. Had a 560 narrow for the baler. That 560 was darned dangerous being a 'three wheeler.'

Now in the forest we have altogether different conditions not the least are trails that are not flat. I've put the Kubota B7100 on its side but could just step off. The JD 410J could take me to the bottom of a canyon - its so back heavy. And working with any of them? If suspicious I just plain don't go there. Its that simple. I too have swung the BH to the high side and used the separate foot brakes for traction - hopefully the low side wheel doesn't slip and dig. For the record, I have my tires filled on everything with chains year around. Ballast and chains are cheap. Retrieval and hospital/burial is expensive.

No, I won't do a incline/slope gauge. It will lie you you. Why? try getting out of a tough spot thinking you are OK and climb over a rock on the high side. You are gone unless in the lowest of low and crawling. Maybe not then. I have planted the stabilizers and dug the trail on more than one occasion when I got into it but was scared stiff to get out.

Use your wisdom and intuition. Sometimes its better to just shut things down and get out and plan for the next day.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #92  
J
These guys must have faulty seats in their pants.

Bruce
Just guys that broke EVERY rule of how to operate a tractor.

NO rear ballast
Moving with bucket up high
Moving WAY WAY too fast on rough terrain. WAAAAY too fast.
Doing stupid **** like putting one wheel on the dirt pile and running up it, guaranteeing a roll over.
And last but not least, having ROPS down.

Now, my thought are that these two FULLY intended to perform these roll overs to make money and get clicks
because NO ONE is that stupid. Are they? :)

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #93  
These guys must have faulty seats in their pants.

Bruce
98495BB1-9357-4962-BDB1-B04DF6EC2D6F.jpeg

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #94  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

(I have no interest or involvement with promoting a product. I'm just asking.)
I have one on my tractor but it's not for rollover purposes since I don't know what the point of tip is. Mine is to move material under the appropriate tire to level the tractor for clean backhoeing

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #95  
Alright, I admit it! I'm a crybaby when it comes to running any of my tractors on an incline. I'm terrified of tipping the machine on its side (or worse!). I know, fear is a good thing, but I get the heeby-jeebies whenever one of the rear wheels goes over a rock and the machine lifts up just a little on one side. On the 4600, if there's a little incline I'll often put down the stabilizers so if it does begin to tip, it will have something to rest on before it goes all the way over. Also, I'll turn the backoe over to the high side to add counter weight. Tires can be loaded, wheels weights added, and the wheels set for a wider track. All these things can, and should be done. But what about a way to measure how much the machine is leaning?

I find it odd that I have never seen any references to putting an inclinometer on the tractor dash. Has anybody done this? What about something like this? Amazon.com: Sun Company 201-F Lev-o-gage Inclinometer | USA-Made Level for Off-Road Vehicle, Jeep, Truck, RV, Camper, Trailer, or Boat: Industrial & Scientific

Good to wear your seatbelt also. I flipped mine and had my seatbelt on. Only thing hurt was my pride. But i sure was glad i had it on. It is scary how quick it can happen once gravity takes hold...

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #96  
I put two of these in my Toolcat - one on the dash and one on the passenger side. Anything above 15 degrees on the dash is definitely puckerville, although I think the Toolcat is rated for higher. Keep in mind that ground condition plays a role (pun intended) here as well. Wet grass or clay and you can start sliding.

That said, experience helps enormously. I run a steerable zero turn mower across a 22 degree slope now with no problem. First year was definitely not that easy.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #97  
Dan, My property is almost all on the hillside. I know how you feel. I've had to rig steel tow cables from a tree to the uphill side of my tractor to keep my heart from beating right outta my chest. Funny, the only time I rolled it was on the flat! Lifted a crate of slate about 500 lbs, using the front end loader, up off my trailer, then noticed the front tire on the trailer was behind the tractor by a couple inches. Couldn't maneuver the truck and trailer to get it out from under the crate, so me being a practical guy, I think all I have to do is back the tractor away from the side of the trailer tire. I get in and reverse with the load about three feet off the ground, it starts swinging and pulls the tractor right over. Lesson learned: a sideways load with the front end loader off the ground - doesn't take much to lever the whole thing over. So now I ALWAYS lower the FEL and load to about an inch off the ground whenever I'm on an incline.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #98  
Relying on bootstrapped gadgets to make-up for a lack of judgment and experience is a good way to get killed, IMHO.

Is there really EVER going to be an instance where you're going to continue when the gut says it's not safe, but the meter says it's okay? Hopefully not.

I'd vote it's a waste of money and time.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #99  
Friend was loading a tracked 'dozer onto a 'tilt and load'.
They were loading using the T&L powered winch to pull it on.
Well the dozer moved faster than the winch could pull and you guessed it.
Dozer slid off of the tilt ramp and promptly flipped onto its side.
Friend (no belt) was super lucky as when he fell out the dozer safety cage missed him as it came to rest.
He had to exit from the rear opening.

He did need to change his shorts!

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #100  
Our property has its share of hills and inclines. I have had a similar tilt meter for years. I think it only goes to 25 degrees on either side though. I do use it but I just don't rely on it. Typically, I will begin to look at it when the pucker factor is kicking in or I feel uncomfortable about a place I have come to be situated in - I guess as a bit of a second opinion. It is not a substitute for sound judgment and experience but it is just one more tool. And there is no substitute for going slow on inclines, keeping the bucket low, and your hand on the lever so you can drop the bucket instantly.