Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #131  
From the incidents I've read here over the past 20 years, most rollover deaths were into ravines, ditches, creeks and ponds with the machine pinning or crushing the operator. I don't recall many, if any, rear rollover deaths reported.
I'm sure you're correct in the death stats regarding rollover into ravines, etc. Side tilt in a tractor seat scares the heck out of me. Thanks for the statistical correction. Bikers use the expression "rubber side down". Same analogy applies to our tractors.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #132  
I have a JD 3720 with cab and have a great interest in rollover since 10% of owners roll their machines. When I bought it I asked dealer what a safe operating angle would be. They had no clue. I called John Deere and they referred me to the dealer. There is a way to find out that angle. Look towards the back of your operating manual and you will find the US Specification # that your tractor complies with. Google that # and you will find a SPECIFIC angle that your machine is supposed to be safe operating at. Also I do have an inclinometer stuck to the window on top of the dashboard. Also, and I think VERY IMPORTANT, I installed 6 Inch extensions on each back axle. If I get within about 10 degrees of specs I back off. Just sayin……….
This just dont add up.

Not saying that I dont believe that one of them US specs is an angle that a machine can operate at. But I am more inclined (pun intended) to believe it has nothing to do with rollovers, rather oil starvation.

But what dont add up is...IF a manufacture gave a spec, WHY DIDNT YOU POST IT IF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS? Id expect it to be something conservative Like maybe 20%. (I have operated similar sized machines up to 25%....and thats slow going and on the edge of my comfort.)

But again, lets assume that spec says something like 20%.....

Then you add 6" spacers on each wheel effectively widening the tractor another ~20%. So you have a tractor with huge spacers....and you back off at a measly 10 degree slope? Makes no sense at all.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer?
When I was a kid, one of our classmates died when he was pulling out a neighbor's tractor, stuck in the mud. I had heard that they put chains around the rear axles. A fatal mistake. It flipped backward, killing him. I don't get how people don't know what a drawbar is for. Never never chain to the axles! Once the front wheels lift, it becomes easier and easier for the tractor to keep going up and over, as others have said.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #134  
I install a very sensitive and highly accurate inclinometer each and every time I use my tractor.

I call it my butt.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #135  
I have seen a few tractors that went over backwards while pulling from the drawbars.
None of those had a fatality fortunately also none of those had rops on them,
I don't think they were even available back then. Three Farmalls and two large Fords.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #136  
Amen to never chaining to axle, which is a recipe for flipping tractor backwards almost instantly if towed object stops moving. Tractor wheels continue to move forward as tractor tips over. Conversly if chain is connected on drawbar (below axle), as it should, under the same scenario thentractor tires either lose traction & spin or engine dies due to inability to pull. Completely safe.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #137  
I have a JD 3720 with cab and have a great interest in rollover since 10% of owners roll their machines. When I bought it I asked dealer what a safe operating angle would be. They had no clue. I called John Deere and they referred me to the dealer. There is a way to find out that angle. Look towards the back of your operating manual and you will find the US Specification # that your tractor complies with. Google that # and you will find a SPECIFIC angle that your machine is supposed to be safe operating at. Also I do have an inclinometer stuck to the window on top of the dashboard. Also, and I think VERY IMPORTANT, I installed 6 Inch extensions on each back axle. If I get within about 10 degrees of specs I back off. Just sayin……….
Steve/Georgia is way off base here. Welcome to TBN.
You can say anything on the internet.. doesn't make it true.

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #138  
Well, 10% might not be accurate, but 100% did in that video. :unsure:

/ Terrified of tipping - how about an inclinometer? #140  
I use the R&B MFG. Inc | Slope meter | Manual Inclinometer For Sale 25C model I believe. My place mostly hills. I find it comes in handy. I have often gotten get off kilter but felt ok then I look at the gauge and your in the yellow. That was before smart phones. Now i would get a holder with a clinometer app and calibrate the holder so it's square with the tractor.