Stuck in the pond

/ Stuck in the pond #51  
The words winch and recovery have been used here so many times I can't find the thread that was posted here within the last six months. It linked to a YT video discussing a recovery accident where a truck was stuck in the mud, and the driver was killed when part of the hitch flew into the vehicle's windshield.

Anyway, when something is stuck in the mud, there's a heck of a lot more force required than simply pulling a 5,000lb tractor on flat, dry ground.

But if someone else can link to the previous thread, there was some good information there about avoiding a very bad recovery accident.
Agreed. But that accident and the one with the kid that have a shackle rip his jaw off were both using nylon straps as far as I know and we're in the wrong spot. Dyneema doesn't do that and wire does it, but not greatly. Snatch blocks will increase the force to where it'll pull bolts out as long as the line can handle it. But regardless, never stand in the way! Or by something that the line can wrap around.

There's 10s of thousands of off roaders using winches, daily, around the world. A ripped off jaw or a killed person happens seldomly and then typically when they dont use common sense safety....

/ Stuck in the pond #52  
Would love to have an AG telehandler!!! ;)
I swapped the front tires side to side, reversing the tread, on my V518 when I was removing silt from my pond.
It gave me more traction backing up, I could really tell the difference.

From 2013 my first compact telehandler.
Notice the tread direction of the front tires:

P7260001.JPG
PC080007.JPG
PC120009.JPG
P3190023.JPG

/ Stuck in the pond #53  
Agreed. But that accident and the one with the kid that have a shackle rip his jaw off were both using nylon straps as far as I know and we're in the wrong spot. Dyneema doesn't do that and wire does it, but not greatly. Snatch blocks will increase the force to where it'll pull bolts out as long as the line can handle it. But regardless, never stand in the way! Or by something that the line can wrap around.

There's 10s of thousands of off roaders using winches, daily, around the world. A ripped off jaw or a killed person happens seldomly and then typically when they dont use common sense safety....
The one I believe he was referring to happened when they tried to snap it out, rather than use a winch. There were a myriad of youtube videos in response to that. I have always preferred to winch rather than try to pull somebody out- you are a lot less apt to get hurt or to break something.

/ Stuck in the pond #55  
   / Stuck in the pond #56  
Really don't think it has anything to do with tires, think it has to do with the mud.... Crossed a soft bottom of a seasonal creek maybe 5 times, on last crossing tractor just sunk into bottom mud, tire type has little to do with situation the front axle is buried and up to chassis in really soft mud..... Tractor was literally cemented in mud, no tires in the world was going to get it out, even trying to lift with FEL failed, pulled up jeep with 10,000lb winch, and tractor was so anchored it slid the 4,500 pound JEEP across the ground and had to block all four wheels to even get tractor to move.... And it is a small tractor....
Of course that can happen if you just drive a tractor into 3’ of mud, quicksand, pond, etc. but when we’re discussing what tires are better in 1”-24” of mud, I’d bet R-1’s do better 100% of the time.

I mean let’s put it this way: You and I both own Jeeps. We have to drive through various obstacles like soft dirt, mud, etc.

You think if we both have same Jeeps with equal driving skills, that the Jeep with new mudders doesn’t go farther than a Jeep with new all season tires???

Last edited:
   / Stuck in the pond #57  
My point was of course more aggressive tread helps...but in wet sticky mud once caked on they become slicks. There are lots of youtube videos people getting a tractor out chaining an 8ft post to wheel.

/ Stuck in the pond #58  
I am not sure those are R1 tires.

My rear BTK 747 tires look like R1 tires, but they are R4 with a R1 tread pattern.

Michelin is another tire manufacture that has a R4 tire with the R1 pattern lugs, but they were way more $,$$$.

14af79ba-bc9d-4fad-bffa-b0b5cc063095-jpeg.777859
R14s?

/ Stuck in the pond #60  
Does it? Can men have babies, too? :ROFLMAO:

I’ve got 2 farm tractors one weighs 19,000 and the other weighs 24,000.
My Case Super M didn’t weigh that much. Maybe 17,500.

R4’s are NOT comparable to R-1’s. Ain’t no way in hell. If they were, farmers would run them In muddy fields, but they don’t.
Anytime you want to compare traction between what you got with R-4’s and what I got with R-1’s in mud, let me know. I want to be there.

Doesn’t the tractor run duels as well as much taller front tires and a lot better weight distribution? The backhoe definitely has lousy traction in mud but putting R1s on it wouldn’t make a revolutionary difference. It’s still going to get stuck all the time.