Stihl or Echo top handle saw?

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #41  
Guy I used had stihl 201 and efco 3600 TH back up with him.

He has this so dont have to climb near as much.

tree2333.jpg

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw?
Why alot of the climbers having to go to battery top handles too.
I’m considering it. DeWalts new top handle 60V works for me cause I already have a bunch of 9AH & 12AH 60V batteries.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw?

I think that’s an applicable comparison, but kind of silly comparison since those saws are used mainly for cutting off small limbs up in a tree or on the ground doing light bucking.

Not really a all day long 8” log cutting saw, right?

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #44  
No clue what they were running for chain if the stock ones. 150 is doggy stock with little bitty hole in muffler. Mine had muffler mod and carb fixed to get full tune.
Timing advance helps too.
2511 needs all of the stuff too. Least muffler mod for sure.

I loved the micro 1/4" cutters on 150.

So if the 2511 isnt running same chain that could be difference there too. 2511 come with 3/8LP

But lot of guys over here swap them to the micro or regular 1/4" for the smoother trim cuts.

Like said in beginning. I wanted 2511 but this 150 came from a climber on trade why I ended up with it.

s150drilledH.jpg
s150m.jpg
s150mm.jpg

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #45  
Can see the tiny micro 1/4" cutter chain in there compared to full size 1/4. Thats what 150 comes with micro.

14chainnn.jpg
14chainn.jpg

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #46  
Echo has to be the easiest saw to start IMO.
Amen!!! I received a new Stihl MS194T saw for my birthday. Although it's a small fairly lightweight saw made for pruning and other light duty cutting, it's a killer to crank. The pull cord goes up about halfway up and stops at the compression stoke level. To crank that POS you just about have to tear your arm off to get it to a full start cycle.
Hopefully it'll get easier to start after using it to cut a number of trees, that is, if my arm lasts that long. Your Echo suggestion certainly sounds best.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #47  
The companies classify them that way. They are listed as such in their catalogs. Largely the materials that the head, piston, rings, and other components are constructed with. Pro saws also have a higher percentage of replaceable parts. Your large Stihl saws are pro saws.

Replacement parts become inconsequential (other than chain loops and infrequently bars) if the saw is taken care of, good example is my 028WB Stihl which is not a 'pro saw', never has been, back then there was no differentiation like that. 45+ years of use and no engine related issues. How many people actually keep a saw that long and actually use it? Not many I'd guess.

Far as I'm concerned the 'pro saw' notation is nothing but an avenue to up the cost and not much more and a whole lot less.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #48  
   / Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #49  
Amen!!! I received a new Stihl MS194T saw for my birthday. Although it's a small fairly lightweight saw made for pruning and other light duty cutting, it's a killer to crank. The pull cord goes up about halfway up and stops at the compression stoke level. To crank that POS you just about have to tear your arm off to get it to a full start cycle.
Hopefully it'll get easier to start after using it to cut a number of trees, that is, if my arm lasts that long. Your Echo suggestion certainly sounds best.
I believe you can get a 'Stihl' with a wind up starter system for those that have weak wrists, not that I'd ever have one anyway. The Echo I-30 starting system works just fine and reduces starting effort appreciably. Husky don't even count...lol

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #50  
Replacement parts become inconsequential (other than chain loops and infrequently bars) if the saw is taken care of, good example is my 028WB Stihl which is not a 'pro saw', never has been, back then there was no differentiation like that. 45+ years of use and no engine related issues. How many people actually keep a saw that long and actually use it? Not many I'd guess.

Far as I'm concerned the 'pro saw' notation is nothing but an avenue to up the cost and not much more and a whole lot less.

Saws were built different back then, they didn't have different segments in offerings or price ranges. There are huge differences in todays pro saws vs the home and ranch saws that offer a lower price point for people that dont need a pro saw. I own two pro saws from two different brands and I can tell you with impunity they are both hands down better built units than the homeowner saws. Case in point, I had for many years a Stihl MS250, 45 cc homeowners saw. Thing never gave me a lick of mechanical trouble and was a ripper for its size/ build but I wanted a bit more power and comfort so I sold it and bought the MS261 pro saw, 50 cc. The difference is night and day, pro saw has better vibration dampening, better filtration, better power to weight and the build components are much more robust. Also in the same working conditions where my 250 would get hot and need to take a break to cool down every now and then the 261 can cut non stop for hours, the pro saws have a higher duty cycle. That said, I am glad that companies like Stihl, Echo and Husqvarna offer different grades of equipment, it allows the purchaser to choose to pay more or less depending on their needs. Most people dont need a pro grade saw so options are good to have.