Stihl or Echo top handle saw?

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #61  

Bought mine back in 2012? So it hasn't gone up too much. Does start easy, and mine has been very forgiving so far. Just used it last fall and it hadn't been started for over 5 years. Started right up. I mix my own non ethanol gas. 90 octane with a 32 to one Amsoil Saber.
Just had the mufflers off the 1988 026, piston looks brand new through exhaust port, I mean just brand new. No scoring at all. The 1991 064 same thing. The 026 has had the absolute snot run out of it. Really run hard, it has never even whimper. Was my go to saw for years and years. 16" bar. Sometimes 20".
The newer MS261 M-tronic saw is a sweet lightweight powerful saw. 4hp I believe. 6 bills on sale a few years back. Fall 2022.
The 1988 026 is 3.5hp if my memory serves me well. Still a great runner.

Last edited:
   / Stihl or Echo top handle saw?
Have ran the 355 and own the 2511. I would choose the 2511 any and every day over the 355.
Seemed like a toy when I picked it up???

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #65  
Seemed like a toy when I picked it up???

Yup, it's considerably lighter than pretty much every other saw out there and makes limbing an absolute breeze. It will out cut a 355T in 10" wood all day long. To me, a top handle saw should be light weight, easily maneuverable, and fast cutting through anything 10-12" and under. That's what this saw does and it does it better than most. The 2511 is Echo's pro series and the 355/271 are a homeowner series...

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #66  
Didn't even know about the 2511, how can it be 10cc less and be considered a PRO saw?
2.5 pounds lighter than the 355. Nice if up in the bucket all day long limbing.
How does the 2511 stack up against the Stihl equal?
My neighbor did just buy in fall 2022 the high-end Stihl MS201 M-tronic top handle saw. I think it was around $700 plus.
With a 6-month warranty which I thought was ridiculous. It's a Stihl! No, it wasn't, it was $700 plus!

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #67  
Didn't even know about the 2511, how can it be 10cc less and be considered a PRO saw?
2.5 pounds lighter than the 355. Nice if up in the bucket all day long limbing.
How does the 2511 stack up against the Stihl equal?
My neighbor did just buy in fall 2022 the high-end Stihl MS201 M-tronic top handle saw. I think it was around $700 plus.
With a 6-month warranty which I thought was ridiculous. It's a Stihl! No, it wasn't, it was $700 plus!

The CC's dont determine pro or not, its about power to weight ratio where pro saws normally shine. Plus build quality and performance. The Stihl 194 is the closest in comparison to the Echo but to me felt clunky and much heavier than the 2511 and from guys Ive talked to that have run both they are comparable in power output. I generally do not like Echo stuff but that 2511T is one awesome little saw.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw?
The CC's dont determine pro or not, its about power to weight ratio where pro saws normally shine. Plus build quality and performance. The Stihl 194 is the closest in comparison to the Echo but to me felt clunky and much heavier than the 2511 and from guys Ive talked to that have run both they are comparable in power output. I generally do not like Echo stuff but that 2511T is one awesome little saw.
Good to know. It was sitting at the dealer and when I picked it up I almost laughed at how small & light it was.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #69  
Even the pros seem to have a difficult time deciding between saws, but this one uses a Husky electric top-handle quite a bit. Also uses both Stihl and Echo 2511.

/ Stihl or Echo top handle saw? #70  
I usually purchase the Stihl Pro saw, except for the 027 FARM BOSS, which I got when I saw a need for a second reliable saw to help out if needed. It has a mod muffler, about 70%. Really woke it up.
Thanks for pointing out that ECHO also has a regular consumer line, as well as a Pro line of saws.