Steering wheel knob placement

/ Steering wheel knob placement #61  
The only time I ever had a steering wheel get away from me was on the narrow front end Farmall M. That could be a wristbreaker for sure!

I don't recall ever driving a tractor that didn't have one, except for my Max26xl when it was new. It wasn't long till I put one on it and I wouldn't want to go without one. Just makes the easy steering even easier in tight spots or constant back and forth directional jobs. Mine was mounted at about 10 o'clock but hasn't bothered me enough as it moves around to consider a 2nd one. Got mine from Tractor Supply. Its one of those cheap, easy add ons that I would recommend to anyone.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #62  
Most newer tractors have hydrostatic power steering and the steering wheel will not remain in the same position. Your profile does not show what tractor you have so it's unknown if you have such a tractor. You can still put a knob on, just be aware that it will not remain at the same position.
So yes, it will move around. Here's 2 things I found about that:
A) You could minimize that by not turning your wheels to full lock and then holding your steering wheel in that position....because if you pay attention your steering wheel will continue to slowly turn in such a case.
B) If you find that suicide knob not where you want it, well you could use the "A)" up there to get it where you do want it. So, make a note how far out of position the knob is. Then turn your steering wheel to full lock, and gently keep holding it as it slowly turns the distance that you noted, which will bring the knob back to where you want it at.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #63  
Everyone has their own opinions but I wouldn't be without my "suicide knob" when I'm sitting sidewise and blowing snow in reverse. Makes the work so much easier. As to it "floating" or changing position, GeneV covers that in his post, it's how I reset the position of mine. IMHO it's a worthwhile addition.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #64  
The higher quality spinners don't have any exposed metal View attachment 734367
TSC sells the same spinner under its County Line brand for $17 (pic below). I have one on each of my tractors, even the GF 1800 front deck mower. They make maneuvering much quicker. Especially good for loader work, with one hand free to operate the joystick. For folks who are skeptical, I say try one. I bet you'll agree! :)
TSC wheel spinner.png

/ Steering wheel knob placement #65  
TSC sells the same spinner under its County Line brand for $17 (pic below). I have one on each of my tractors, even the GF 1800 front deck mower. They make maneuvering much quicker. Especially good for loader work, with one hand free to operate the joystick. For folks who are skeptical, I say try one. I bet you'll agree! :)
View attachment 734466
If I had a Tractor Supply anywhere nearby that would have been the way to go. My nearest one is either 200 miles west or 200 miles east. Or there is this at $13.
I'm ordering one for my other tractor.

Last edited:
   / Steering wheel knob placement #66  
If I had a Tractor Supply anywhere nearby that would have been the way to go. My nearest one is either 200 miles west or 200 miles east. Or there is this at $13.
unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.co
I'm ordering one for my other tractor.
[/

Yep, that looks like exactly the same thing. That Amazon price is about what I paid at TSC when I bought mine a few years ago!

/ Steering wheel knob placement #68  
Check at your local Auto Parts Store.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #69  
I put a speed knob on my John Deere 4320 compact when I first bought it 16 years ago. I wouldn't be with out it. It makes the tractor more maneuverable quicker. The position does move around. I mounted it on one of the spokes of the steering wheel. It is slightly canted inboard. That leaves the rim of the steering wheel still accessible. It just takes some time getting used to. The biggest problem I have is when wearing a long sleeve shirt, I sometimes get my sleeve caught over the knob.

Attachments

• 20220218_121519.jpg
    20220218_121519.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
   / Steering wheel knob placement #70