Steering wheel knob placement

/ Steering wheel knob placement #41  
Just curious, those using a steering wheel knob on your subcompact tractor, what location have you found it to be the most useful / comfortable, etc. I'm getting ready to install one and figure several of you many have useful insight. Also, it's for a BX and I'm right handed. TIA
Buy one from Amazon that's low height and weather resistant. With wheels straight 12 is a good spot, you won't always use it, like when driving straight long rows or driving on roadway. You'll only use it when doing tight work, cleaning stalls, clearing snow, digging, facing rearward, etc.
Ignore the geezers on here that advise against one, they and their Daddy busted their knuckles 50 years ago when the steering wheels would spin around 3 turns if you let go. Of course this has nothing to do with modern power steering but they can't learn new tricks.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #42  
Thumb breaker, wrist breaker, all the same. Mine is still at the store where it will remain until someone else takes it home.
Those attributes apply only to old manual steering vehicles, and maybe some power assist steering but not to hydraulic steering. Even my old Ford 1715, which is approaching 30 years, has hydraulic steering, there is no danger of steering wheel kick back.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #43  
I recall them being called "suicide knobs".

That's what I remember.

A bit of trivia - Does anyone remember that Sammy Davis Jr lost his eye in a wreck when he hit the suicide knob. The Candy Man can..........

gg

Last edited:
   / Steering wheel knob placement #44  
Those attributes apply only to old manual steering vehicles, and maybe some power assist steering but not to hydraulic steering. Even my old Ford 1715, which is approaching 30 years, has hydraulic steering, there is no danger of steering wheel kick back.
Once something gets a bad rap it's difficult to shake. To each his own but nowadays around here you get laughed at with a steering wheel knob.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #46  
Once something gets a bad rap it's difficult to shake. To each his own but nowadays around here you get laughed at with a steering wheel knob.
In a car or pickup it would look strange these days, but is perfectly acceptable on a piece of equipment, especially if one hand is operating the loader joystick.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #47  
The Versahandler comes from the factory with a spinner made into the steering wheel: (y)
PC220029.JPG
PC160015.JPG

If anyone laughed at it, I would say "try it you will like it".

/ Steering wheel knob placement #48  
I think it's just a matter of what feels right, I like mine closer to the 4 o'clock position.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #49  
I have one on my little Power Trac. Since it's articulated hydraulic steering, the knob changes position throughout the day. It's never in the same place when I straighten out.

They used to call them necker's knobs around here; you could keep one hand on the wheel while you were groping your significant other sitting next to you on the bench seat. :sneaky:

I miss bench seats.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #50  
On the plus side, TSC sells them in multiple colors. The JD green one matches my PT425 pretty well...

4A4845FE-6C69-4CA0-A327-E6CFD7E2484C.jpeg