Shop ideas to consider

/ Shop ideas to consider #11  
I would really like to have 3 phase in my shop. And, I'll try to convince my electrical provider that would be possible. I'm pretty sure the lines at the end of the driveway are actually 3 phase.

I talked to a guy in Portland that had half the shop wired with a 3 phase panel connected to a phase converter, and some parts wired with individual 3 phase VFDs.

/ Shop ideas to consider #12  
I will start off this "idea" thread with this shop addition:
I put a solenoid valve at the outlet of my air compressor that is "opened" by turning on my shop lights. No broken hoses at night running my compressor when no one is around. I can also find out that I have an air leak if my piping empties overnight.
I have actually thought about the very same thing. Only thing is, the nearest power for shop lights is up 16 feet on the rafters, and the Nova is where I would have to place a ladder.
But it is on my list of to dos.

One other thing is an opener for the overhead door.

And a Bridgeport mill.

/ Shop ideas to consider #13  
Set your work benches up at "bar stool" height. It's much more comfortable for standing work, and your gonna be standing a lot more then sitting; plus, you can have some bar stools in there for that.
Also, with this, you might want to run every other outlet with a 'twin' down below the bench. Say you have 4 outlets set at 52" or so; put 1 or 2 down at 32" or so, for your shop vac or other ground mounted tools. It's only gonna cost you like $2.50 in additional wire, and about $10 for another box, cover, and duplex receptacle.

/ Shop ideas to consider #14  
Set your work benches up at "bar stool" height. It's much more comfortable for standing work, and your gonna be standing a lot more then sitting; plus, you can have some bar stools in there for that.
And on the subject of "bar stools" -
Check high school and college auctions for inexpensive "lab" stools.
I built much of my shops with pallet racking and put the first "shelf" at worktable height (~40 inches), and 3/4 good plywood w/ a sacrificial (if need be) 3/4 MDF top. So I've got about a dozen potential worktables.
I bought about dozen "lab stools" at a cost of ~$6@, well worth it.

/ Shop ideas to consider #15  
These 120v pilot lights are inexpensive if you shop around. They use NE2 neon bulb, last forever and use 1/4 Watt current. It mounts in a 1/2" hole drilled in light switch cover, etc. I wire it across the switch so when switch is off light turns on.
That way at night no fumbling for a light switch and I can easily see what's off since light is on. Probably a burglar would think it's part of alarm system.
And I did install a wired alarm with magnet switches and heat/smoke detectors. Alarm horn is in cupola...it's really loud.
2024_03_05_21.26.44.jpg

/ Shop ideas to consider #16  
Redneck ceiling fan. Looks goofy, but works well, just a little noisy. Keeps the warm air down at floor level. Switched with a wireless remote.
20161204_0280.JPG

Also have the door opener on a wireless remote so as to disable it for security.

Disconnect switch for air compressor on the wall, right next to the light switches and door so I can easily remember to turn it off when leaving for the day.
IMG_5831.JPG

/ Shop ideas to consider #18  
Multiwire branch circuits, which are now permitted in the NEC, are the only way to wire a shop, IMO. I have 2-gang duplex outlet boxes every 4-6 feet around my shop, each with 2x 120V outlets and 2x 240V outlets, all 20A. This makes it very convenient to plug in any machine up to 2-3 hp, along with any other corded tool, vacuum, etc. Each floor is broken into a few individual circuits, but all as multiwire branch, which saves a ton of copper.

The other must-haves here are heating and air-conditioning. That shop is my solace, my happy place, on every 90F+ humid July or August afternoon, as well as every rainy April or November day. I schedule indoor vs. outdoor work according to the weather, so it's often "bad weather" when I'm working in the shop. I went with a Mitsubishi mini split system for this shop, with multiple indoor units sharing a single larger outdoor unit.

Agreed on what others have already said with painted OSB vs. drywall. OSB painted a light color wins every time, for durability in a shop. On the painting, I moved into my prior shop (1998) before taking time to paint he OSB, and then it became impossible or impractical to do it later. For the most recent shop build, I was smart enough to realize that it'd never get done if I didn't just bite the bullet and paint everything before moving in. It makes an enormous difference in lighting and visibility, the older unpainted shop was always too dark to see and work on things, no matter how many shop lights I hung.

Another thing worth noting is high ceilings. I was working within an existing shell, adding a second floor to an existing roof line, so I had constraints. I chose to make the first floor ceiling higher, at the expense of second floor ceiling height, and glad I did it. If you work with wood, having the ability to turn sheets of plywood over end to end or corner to corner without hitting the ceiling is a convenience I always appreciate, as my prior shop had a ceiling low enough that this was a problem.

Hard air lines in ceiling of first floor, at full compressor pressure, distributed to separate regulators and separators on each floor. See recent thread on compressor air quality. No need to have hoses strewn all over the floor, esp. if you're parking tractors, vehicles, and implements in the shop.

I like the prior mention of a solenoid valve tied to the lighting circuit, to close off the compressor to potential line failures, although my only "compressor running all weekend" scenario has been due to a failed pressure-relief valve on the compressor's pressure switch assembly, and the valve on compressor outlet would not have prevented that. So in place of the valve, or perhaps in addition to it, a contactor with a 120VAC coil tied into the lighting circuit might be a better path to achieve the same. (edit: I see @Runner just posted his electrical disconnect next to the light switch, even simpler/better.)

I've been researching closed cell spray foam, and it isn't as flammable as I had thought, and does very well at sealing. Apparently there is an Intumescent paint that reduces the spread of flames.
My shop is retrofitted into a 1770's (perhaps older) carriage barn, 2 story timber frame construction, which I framed in with 2x4 studded walls and OSB for wall board. I had the whole thing, including vaulted roof, spray foamed. If it weren't for the overhead doors, I'm convinced the rest of the building is tight enough that your ears would pop every time someone slammed a door.

Anyway, I was running copper air lines recently, and had to sweat a few joints right up against that spray foam, so I texted the insulation contractor to ask about its flammability. He claimed it was self-extinguishing, and I later proved he was correct in that assertion, it just burns out after a few seconds if you manage to light it. It's also pretty hard to light, in the first place. The wood from which the building is constructed is the much greater danger, than that foam.

Last edited:
   / Shop ideas to consider #19  
I would really like to have 3 phase in my shop. And, I'll try to convince my electrical provider that would be possible. I'm pretty sure the lines at the end of the driveway are actually 3 phase.

I talked to a guy in Portland that had half the shop wired with a 3 phase panel connected to a phase converter, and some parts wired with individual 3 phase VFDs.
Ping me if you're interested in buying a 3-phase rotary phase converter. I have the ability to palletize and ship, with an idler motor or without. Mine was set up to run multiple machines up to 5 hp each, and 10 hp total, if I recall.

I used this in my prior shop, it works great, but I decided to sell off all my 3-phase machines when building my current shop.

/ Shop ideas to consider #20  
I know some people don't like the multiwire circuits but I used them in my building and it worked well. I have a 20 amp line down each side of the building with alternating circuit outlets so I have 2 separate 20 amp outlets close to any location. Again, the only mistake I made with it was to bury the wiring in the wall. Doing it over I would put it in surface mount conduit and it would be a lot simpler.

I didn't paint my OSB and it's been fine. I have a white metal ceiling and that seems to be more important for lighting.