Seized Engine

/ Seized Engine #41  
Thankyou for that, but it's based on un-sticking several "stuck" old engines.

SR
Just to add. Aerokroil and marvel mystery oil are my go to oils for serious problems. Years ago I found a 3/4" rusty square head bolt with a square nut, buried in the ground, found it plowing. I cleaned it with a soft wore wheel on a washing machine motor. Still have that old motor, at that time it was the only grinder on this road. Then I put the bolt upright in the vise, blacksmith post vise, and sprayed Kroil on it. Kroil seeped through the nut and was on the threads below the nut. Nut was not wet on outside. Deep Creep.

I do mix a little brake fluid in ATF and use in a squirt oiler. That works too, pretty good. Maybe 1/4 brake fluid to ATF.

/ Seized Engine #42  
If it was like my old 350 grizzly I think that's the trip meter +had a separate odometer? Id probably look and see what shape some of the parts on it are in. Plastics, tires, frame, etc. If you have the time and organizational skills you can part it out. Once you get it torn down it won't take up a ton of space anymore. Unsure if ATV ownership is big in your area?

/ Seized Engine #43  
Depending on what destructed inside the cases, you don't even know if the engine is salvageable. To really know the extent of the damage, you'll have to pull the top end and split the cases.

/ Seized Engine #44  
Shows right over 1000 but I believe it can be reset with the dial on the side of the odometer.
My dad had a Yamaha he used around the farm. This is a real working farm. He put around 3800 miles a year on it. I think he kept it 11 years, bought it used. Still ran good, but he bought a side x side. No hunting or playing in mud. He either was doing chickens or cattle.

/ Seized Engine #45  
Depending on what destructed inside the cases, you don't even know if the engine is salvageable. To really know the extent of the damage, you'll have to pull the top end and split the cases.
Judging by his pictures imo it's more than a easier top end rebuild looks like there's needle bearing from the connecting rod in that sludge. Im preliminary assuming the cranks probably shot.

/ Seized Engine #47  
I would assume the entire thing is toast, maybe not even rebuildable.
I'd dive in, and fix it, but that's me... Parts are available, everywhere.

If you're going to sell it and are not committed to fixing it, I'd advise to NOT take it apart further. I've always shied away from the "apart, in pieces" listings, unless the price is like $50.

Last edited:
   / Seized Engine #48  

If you're going to sell it and are not committed to fixing it, I'd advise to NOT take it apart further. I've always shied away from the "apart, in pieces" listings, unless the price is like $50.
Agreed on both counts, always harder to find and fix previous mechanicing than just repair the machine.

/ Seized Engine #49  

If you're going to sell it and are not committed to fixing it, I'd advise to NOT take it apart further. I've always shied away from the "apart, in pieces" listings.
Unless your looking for a specific part and the seller has some knowledge of the components, I've parted out a dozen old snow mobiles from my 20x20 garage when I lived in a city I was amazed at parts folks would buy if the price was right.

/ Seized Engine #50  
Well I gave it another go. I couldn’t move it with just the ratchet and socket so stuck a breaker bar in there and gave it a few taps in both directions with a mallet and it broke loose. I can now spin it over.

Should I fill the cylinder with some PB blaster and let it sit for a couple of days before draining the oil and putting in new oil? Or is there something else I should do? Any other steps to take with it before trying to actually crank it over?
You have to be very careful when getting one loose. If the rings are stuck and you break a land when tapping, it's rebuild time. That's why everyone urges penetration oil of some type. Be very gentle and put a bind on it each way.