Seized Engine

/ Seized Engine #1  

PearlWhiteGT

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T1510
Picked up this 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4 for free. My buddy's neighbor was getting ready to haul it off to the dump. Asked him what's the deal with it and he said had been running fine and then one time he went to start it and it would turn over a bit and make a clicking sound coming from under the seat which I believe is the solenoid and couldn't get it to start. After that it stayed parked for about 2 years outside. Said he didn't have time to mess with it.

I got it home but didn't have a battery for it. Tried connecting my battery jump pack to it and see if anything would happen. With the key on no dash lights or headlights came on. I tried jumping the solenoid but just sparked a couple of times. Figured I'd try to turn the engine over by hand next.

The internals of the pull start are missing so I removed it to get to the crankshaft bolt and removed the spark plug. Put my ratchet on it and it wouldn't budge at all, not one inch. Feels completely locked up. I tried filling the cylinder with WD40 for a few hours to see if it would help but no luck. I added some marvel mystery oil into the cylinder and let it sit overnight and still no help.

I decided to remove the starter and make sure it's not locked and it spins freely. I removed the crankcase cover to see if maybe something looked broke back there but all looked good. At this moment I plan on letting the mystery oil sit for about a week and see if it frees up anything which I doubt.

Without have to tear into the engine do any of you guys have any tips or tricks on what I can do to try and get it unseized?

WZSe23f.jpg

YEg94pf.jpg

OP9SPCx.jpg

ehtb7dp.jpg

BDiNbB2.jpg

9CPPBWA.jpg

R40tWsR.jpg

tnh1A0n.jpg

/ Seized Engine #3  
Kroil or blaster is by far what worked best for me, WD40 is way down the list...

Kroil is better than ATF and acetone, but it isn't cheeep.

SR

/ Seized Engine
My only comment is... WD40 is worthless. Try Sea Foam or a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone and let it soak.
Thanks, the ATF and Acetone are next on my list to try.

/ Seized Engine
Kroil or blaster is by far what worked best for me, WD40 is way down the list...

Kroil is better than ATF and acetone, but it isn't cheeep.

SR
Thanks, I'll look into the Kroil as well. At this point I think it will take a miracle to get it free.

/ Seized Engine
Came across this when searching the web. This is on rusted bolts but how would it compare to a seized engine? I have no issues with trying the Kroil or ATF/Acetone mix or both.

The Machinist Workshop magazine studied the most popular penetrating oils to see
what did the best job of removing rusted bolts by measuring the pounds of torque
required to loosen the bolt. I'm not sure just what flavor bolt they were using
that would take 516 pounds of torque but it must have been a monster.
These were the results they published:

Penetrating oil: Average load:
None...................................516 lbs.
WD-40.................................238 lbs.
PB Blaster.............................214 lbs.
Liquid Wrench........................127 lbs.
Kano Kroil..............................106 lbs.
ATF-Acetone mix......................53 lbs.
�The Auto Trans fluid- acetone mix was a "home-brew" mix of 50-50 ATF-acetone.
The home brew tested better than the commercial products in this test. Note that
Liquid Wrench is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.�