Saving a 5g fuel can

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #21  
According to Posts #1 and #5 OP has a somewhat battered metal 5-gal. gas can that "has developed a little leak on the bottom". It is unknown, but likely, other leaks are developing. I am with ruffdog and 3 Horse Ranch, it is best to retire or discard the old can. How much time, aggravation, and money are you willing to spend to extend the life of the can? While I and others can relate anecdotal accounts of how we purged flammable liquid containers to work on them with heat or an open flame without blowing ourselves up, there is still some risk.

For around $70 - $100 OP can purchase a new "Justrite, Type II Safety Can" that has flame screen, overpressure protection, and a spout, that in my experience, works better than those plastic contraptions and that will probably last as long as the old "Eagle" can. If cost is a consideration, a plastic 5-gal. container is around $25. I discarded the plastic "no-spill" spout and cut a disk from an old plastic container to fit the hole in the treaded ring and thereby seal my new plastic container. I remove the new "cap" and pour directly into a funnel as OP likely does with his old can. There are many blogs and videos of ways to modify, adapt, and vent the plastic containers.

Last edited:
   / Saving a 5g fuel can
I happen to have identical can but mine doesn’t leak, if it did leak I would quit using it and replace it with a new No Spill can.
Can I have your old can! 😄
There is one type of these that seems ok with a push button to pour operation, I have a 2.5g but like so many things these days the spout is the first thing that I see failing and likely not sold separately so you junk the whole thing.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can
According to Posts #1 and #5 OP has a somewhat battered metal 5-gal. gas can that "has developed a little leak on the bottom". It is unknown, but likely, other leaks are developing. I am with ruffdog and 3 Horse Ranch, it is best to retire or discard the old can. How much time, aggravation, and money are you willing to spend to extend the life of the can? While I and others can relate anecdotal accounts of how we purged flammable liquid containers to work on them with heat or an open flame without blowing ourselves up, there is still some risk.

For around $70 - $100 OP can purchase a new "Justrite, Type II Safety Can" that has flame screen, overpressure protection, and a spout, that in my experience, works better than those plastic contraptions and that will probably last as long as the old "Eagle" can. If cost is a consideration, a plastic 5-gal. contaner is around $25. I discarded the plastic "no-spill" spout and cut a disk from an old plastic container to fit the hole in the treaded ring and seal my new plastic container. I remove the new "cap" and pour directly into a funnel as OP likely does with his old can. There are many blogs and videos of ways to modify, adapt, and vent the plastic containers.
It's a personal challenge. There's 3 metal parts to my cans, 2 of which can be had on Ebay by the half dozen. No BS springs, no flappers and no BS screens.😆
It's kinda like getting another year or so out of your favorite old boots. Ya just gotta try.👍

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #24  
Another product I have used to seal gas leaks is Seal All. It's easy to use and works for gas and oil.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #26  
It's a personal challenge. There's 3 metal parts to my cans, 2 of which can be had on Ebay by the half dozen. No BS springs, no flappers and no BS screens.😆
It's kinda like getting another year or so out of your favorite old boots. Ya just gotta try.👍
I retired a pair of Army boots last Fall. I was issued those boots in 2005 on my way to Iraq. They were so deteriorated that my socks got dirty if I walked in mud or dusty dirt. I had to force myself to throw them in the trash. I'm wearing the last pair I have. Will be a very sad day when these are worn out.

I completely understand the can issue Eric. Fix it and use it until it's used up.

Stand for something or you stand for nothing. :cool:

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #27  
More power to you. It is obvious that rational considerations matter not; satisfaction is priceless.
Yep. The title of Eric's thread says it all. :)

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #28  
I fixed a small pin hole on the bottom of an old Evinrude gas tank with JB weld and it's holding up just fine. Just sand it and clean it up good and put a glob of JB epoxy over the hole. For regular gas cans I really like the plastic "utility jugs" they sell at TSC. They will hold 6 gallons and will empty very fast compared to the crappy ventless EPA cans.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #29  
I had a leak in my 1974 Ford puckup gas tank and I
sanded around the hole and used JB Weld it only
lasted for 10 or 11 years then I purchased a new tank

willy

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #30  
You guys that say "replace it" just don't get it......

Eric, JB Weld is a very good product. Applied to the outside. I'd want the hole to be evident enough that I could squish the product thru the hole into the can a little. This would give it the best chance of bonding and staying put.

Keep us posted.

Awesome can!!! I have a smaller version with the more modern cap/vent system.

View attachment 783187
No I think we "replace it" guys get it.

I finally figured out buying cheap dollar store tools costs more because I have to buy the tools at least twice. Once when I am suckered into buying the cheap tool, the second time to replace the broken cheap dollar store tool.

A new gas gerry can cost me $25. JB Weld costs $15. Enough Kitty litter or oil dry costs $20 to try and sop up 5 gallons of spilled gas on my concrete floor.

If I go buy a new gerry can I will spend $25.

If I try and repair a gerry can it will cost me $60 and my barn floor stinks like gas for 6 months. Priceless.