Saving a 5g fuel can

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I've got my cherished collection of non "epa - osha" 5 gallon "cans" and one has developed a little leak on the bottom. All of them are in use and as I was planning services and the funeral, a spark of hope entered my thinking. 😄
They have some stuff to repair automotive gas tanks so ....
Any recommendations or ideas? This particular can was for my 2 stroke "mix" for particular cleaning recommendations.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #2  
You could try plastic welding with a soldering iron or try some JB weld

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #3  
Steel can, I assume. There are lots of "gas tank sealing" kits. I've used the ones from POR 15 and was able to clean up rusty insides and seal pin holes in car and bike tanks - longevity (?). A 5 gallon can is pretty big for most of us now. The crappy gas we have now goes bad before I can use it all, even with Sta-Bil.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #4  
I was thinking plastic can….. yes a motorcycle tank sealer would work

/ Saving a 5g fuel can
Yes, good old "Eagle" galvanized gas cans.👍
20230209_102319.jpg

I'd like to try something. JB weld came to mind but I don't believe that I've ever bought or tried it before. Today's version of a steel can has the spring closing lid and I don't think has a vent. Not to mention that their in the $70 range.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #6  
I'd try JB weld first......read the instructions first....clean the surface involved.....maybe try doing inside and the outside. But some other method might be better. Hum-m-m...getting something "inside" the can could be a challenge.

cheers,
Mike

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #7  
I happen to have identical can but mine doesn’t leak, if it did leak I would quit using it and replace it with a new No Spill can.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #8  
That can is most likely made of TERNE metal, that is steel with a lead coating on it, so anything you do will need to be compatible with lead. That also brings up the possibility of soldering, but with gasoline fumes any heating could be disastrous.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #9  
I would first try J.B. Weld or Steel Stick. Sand and clean the area real good first and you should be good to go.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #10  
Leaking can? Just replace it. My EPA jugs have EZ-pour rigid nozzles and vents....nice.