Saving a 5g fuel can

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #31  
I understand your feeling - Rustyiron. I have four military Jerry cans. Brought them with us when we came down from Alaska. I know - for a fact - they are OVER 55 years old. No rust - no leaks. Mainly due to - the design for military use, the UBER dry weather here - the cans NEVER sit on the ground. Alway up on a pallet.

Be very careful on how you repair that can.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #32  
No I think we "replace it" guys get it.

I finally figured out buying cheap dollar store tools costs more because I have to buy the tools at least twice. Once when I am suckered into buying the cheap tool, the second time to replace the broken cheap dollar store tool.

A new gas gerry can cost me $25. JB Weld costs $15. Enough Kitty litter or oil dry costs $20 to try and sop up 5 gallons of spilled gas on my concrete floor.

If I go buy a new gerry can I will spend $25.

If I try and repair a gerry can it will cost me $60 and my barn floor stinks like gas for 6 months. Priceless.
Good math. Maybe reread the thread title.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #33  
If I try and repair a gerry can it will cost me $60 and my barn floor stinks like gas for 6 months. Priceless.
Not to mention the fire hazard from that leaked gas. o_O

Good grief, it's just a gas can. From the looks of the can the OP posted, that whole bottom seam looks kinda sketchy. Buy a new poly one, an aftermarket spout and it'll last you the rest of your life.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can
Mike, good luck with getting 30+ years out of your new tank. This is a large part of my motivation, most new and improved chit is neither, particularly when it comes to a simple vessel to contain a liquid.
The beaurocrats have actually managed to screw up something that's been "developed" and used for thousands of years and worked perfectly.
If you read all of this you'll see that I'm poking fun at myself over this silly little toppic/post.👍
I think it's a combination of being a cheap bastard and slowly turning into an old fart "thing" and also rejecting the throw away mentality. 😄

Last edited:
   / Saving a 5g fuel can #35  
Mike, good luck with getting 30+ years out of your new tank. This is a large part of my motivation, most new and improved chit is neither, particularly when I comes to a simple vessel to contain a liquid.
The beaurocrats have actually managed to screw up something that's been "developed" and used for thousands of years and worked perfectly.
If you read all of this you'll see that I'm poking fun at myself over this silly little toppic/post.👍
I think it's a combination of being a cheap bastard and slowly turning into an old fart "thing" and also rejecting the throw away mentality. 😄
Well stated. I'm right there with you. I find comfort in the old things I use. :cool:

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #37  
NATO Jerry cans are not cheap to buy, but are the best and lowest cost in the long run.

They are available in 2.5 & 5 gallon size.

10 Liter Jerry Can.JPG 20 Liter Jerry Can.JPG Wavian.jpg

Last edited:
   / Saving a 5g fuel can #38  
I have a 30+ year Scribner and one I bought 2 years ago. Neither one leaks and the fit and finish are identical. Here is a video that compares Vp vs Scribner jugs and the caps that leak.

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #39  
I have a gas can just like the one he has and I purchased
it in 1971 and no leaks and I spill a whole lot less gas when
pouring from it that one of the new stupid safety cans. In
fact when is wrong with fixing something old??? Lots of old
things are being fixed instead of buying new! The so called
new safety cans you don't dare leave them in the sun!!!!!! The
old metal gas cans you can leave almost any place without a
problem!! For the price you have to pay for one of these so
called safety cans is stupid! Plain and simple! Just trying to
pour gas from them is a hassle and very easy to spill gas!
Taking a 2/5 gal oil jug and painting it red is a 100% better
than a safety can! Probably won't spill very much gas and
no gizmo to mess with to get the gas out! Just simply pour!
When you have something good why not fix it????

willy

/ Saving a 5g fuel can #40  
I guess storing a slowly leaking gasoline can in an open shed would not be real dangerous.......except for smokers....but.........if there is some doubt..........I'd THROW IT OUT.

Cheers,
Mike