Quick attach root ripper for M59

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59
Dakota_male,

It must be nice to have heavy steel just laying about. What thickness did you use for ripper blade? MIG or stick for welding? How long did you make ripper ( dig depth before hitting reinforcement at coupler)? What is bucket curl force? Trying to compare how your 303 compares to the M59. I am seriously looking at mini excavators.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #22  
I used to have a M59 and the 40 is definitely a good bit stronger. But 2 hours for one stump is pretty depressing when my cat would do it in 1 minute. I’m probably still going to buy a ripper for the 40 because it moves a lot more than the cat does. I’ve considered buying a ripper for the cat. I think I could split stumps in half to increase the burn ability if I had one.
...and you still have to dispose of it one way or another. I much prefer grinding a stump myself. Grinding it 8-10 inches below grade and it's done and nothing to get rid of except some chips which will decompose anyway.

...and you still have to dispose of it one way or another. I much prefer grinding a stump myself. Grinding it 8-10 inches below grade and it's done and nothing to get rid of except some chips which will decompose anyway.

Everyone has their preferred way to get rid of organic material. Like Smokeydog, I have so many valleys, nooks, and crannies that I don't bother chipping, burning, or cutting anything up. Depending on the exit path width, the whole tree gets dumped. Many times cut tree into 12-14 ft lengths and dump into valley. I'm creating new wildlife habitat. :)

Stumps where I'm intending to build or where straightening/ widening road get pulled because I don't want the ground to slump as the stump rots away.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #24  
Never had that issue (slumping). And unlike you I really have no place to pile them.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #25  
Dakota_male,

It must be nice to have heavy steel just laying about. What thickness did you use for ripper blade? MIG or stick for welding? How long did you make ripper ( dig depth before hitting reinforcement at coupler)? What is bucket curl force? Trying to compare how your 303 compares to the M59. I am seriously looking at mini excavators.
The ripper blade is 3/4”, 24 “ in length, gussets are 3/4” onto a 3/4” top plate with same size bucket ears, with 40mm pins. 6385 lbf curling & digging force. It’s weight is listed 7817lbs ,this 303cr has the heavy counter weight with a longer stick.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #26  
The ripper blade is 3/4”, 24 “ in length, gussets are 3/4” onto a 3/4” top plate with same size bucket ears, with 40mm pins. 6385 lbf curling & digging force. It’s weight is listed 7817lbs ,this 303cr has the heavy counter weight with a longer stick.
For welding I used my millermatic 185 with multiple passes, usually 4-5 passed with duel shield. 035 wire.

Thanks. The info is appreciated. The KX040 ripper I have on my M59 will dig 21" deep at which point the ripper mount plate is also into the ground. I'm curious to hear how your ripper performs against various types of trees and their stumps. Your 303 and my M59 have very similar bucket curl force. Your machine weight at 7817 is slightly less than my 10.5-11K Lbs. I'm trying to gather information on machine weight and curl force vs stump removal ease to better target a mini ex purchase.

Last edited:
   / Quick attach root ripper for M59 #28  
Thanks. The info is appreciated. The KX040 ripper I have on my M59 will dig 21" deep at which point the ripper mount plate is also into the ground. I curious to hear how your ripper performs against various types of trees and their stumps. Your 303 and my M59 have very similar bucket curl force. Your machine weight at 7817 is slightly less than my 10.5-11K Lbs. I'm trying to gather information on machine weight and curl force vs stump removal ease to better target a mini ex purchase.
So far I've just removed 12" spruce stumps, it will shear the larger roots easily by splitting these and inch at a time. I have been asked to remove a few old maple stumps recently cut at ground level. The tip is like a sharp chisel, I personally feed it can split the larger roots with easy as these stump are on the a street shoulder without disturbing the street pavement or the lawn. My 18" bucket would make a big mess..

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #29  

That’s really only an acceptable method when you’re just planting grass. When you’re clearing for construction the stumps have to go.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #30  
Thanks. The info is appreciated. The KX040 ripper I have on my M59 will dig 21" deep at which point the ripper mount plate is also into the ground. I curious to hear how your ripper performs against various types of trees and their stumps. Your 303 and my M59 have very similar bucket curl force. Your machine weight at 7817 is slightly less than my 10.5-11K Lbs. I'm trying to gather information on machine weight and curl force vs stump removal ease to better target a mini ex purchase.

I used to have a M59 and I have a KX040 now. I wasn’t sure if I would be impressed and should hold out for a 57 but I bought the 40 anyway. I’ve been very happy with the 40. The 40 will dig circles around the M59.