Quick attach root ripper for M59

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #1  

M59

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59 TLB/ Mahindra Max 24 TLB
Just received and installed a root/ frost ripper onto Kubota M59 TLB modified with quick coupler that mates to the Kubota KX excavator series of buckets and tools and was mentioned in earlier thread ( Backhoe - M59 backhoe quick attach) started by Smokeydog.

In another thread ( Digging stumps SA425) started by Scott440 I mentioned I spent two hours trying to remove a 20+ inch stump and gave up after making poor headway. The 12 inch excavator bucket couldn't break the roots and I didn't want to dig a 10-12 foot dia hole to get stump out.

Spent two hours and stump is out of the hole. Hole ended up about 5-6 feet in dia and 5 feet deep. Broke 5-6 side roots of 4-6 inch dia and tap was massive.

More fun with quick attach backhoe tools.

Attachments

• Ripper on coupler.jpg
    Ripper on coupler.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 104
  • Ripper 1st use.jpg
    Ripper 1st use.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 98
  • Stump size 20+ inch.jpg
    Stump size 20+ inch.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
  • 1675537265613.png
    1675537265613.png
    375.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Stump out- Huge tap root.jpg
    Stump out- Huge tap root.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 110
   / Quick attach root ripper for M59 #2  
I’ve considered getting a ripper for my KX40. But I’ve been in the fence about how much it would accomplish. How much time would you guess it saves vs the 12” bucket?

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59
I’ve considered getting a ripper for my KX40. But I’ve been in the fence about how much it would accomplish. How much time would you guess it saves vs the 12” bucket?
4570Man

I will compare the M59 to the KX40 which you running. Kubota indicates the M59 has 7600 Lbs of bucket curl force and the KX 40 has 9500 Lbs of force.

I spent 2 hours using the KX40 bucket and was unable to break roots at/ close to the stump. Gave up and came back at it with the root ripper. Two hours later had stump out of the ground and only added about 10-16 inches of extra space to all sides of the stump.

Had I continued with the 12" bucket, I figure I would have spent 5+ hours and had a hole 10 feet in dia. in order to break/ loosen roots further away from stump.

Bottom line. Root ripper saved more than 50% of the expected bucket time and the amount of excavated dirt was less than 1/3 of what would have come out using bucket. Ripper absolutely worth the money to me.

Bought ripper from USA Attachments. Frost Rippers for Excavators

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #4  
I used to have a M59 and the 40 is definitely a good bit stronger. But 2 hours for one stump is pretty depressing when my cat would do it in 1 minute. I’m probably still going to buy a ripper for the 40 because it moves a lot more than the cat does. I’ve considered buying a ripper for the cat. I think I could split stumps in half to increase the burn ability if I had one.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I used to have a M59 and the 40 is definitely a good bit stronger. But 2 hours for one stump is pretty depressing when my cat would do it in 1 minute. I’m probably still going to buy a ripper for the 40 because it moves a lot more than the cat does. I’ve considered buying a ripper for the cat. I think I could split stumps in half to increase the burn ability if I had one.
4570Man,

I've dug out many stumps with the M59 and this is the worst one I have ever met. The very large and long tap root was hard to get at. Yes, larger machines with greater curling power would make short work of the stump. I don't have my KX80 yet. Missed a very reasonably priced low hour one in TX.

I work with with what I have have until I find the KX80 and D3 or equivalent dozer.

I can't really justify bothering a friend to bring his CAT 385 over to dig out a stump.

What sized CAT do you have? Always interested in equipment and owner's impressions.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #6  
4570Man,

I've dug out many stumps with the M59 and this is the worst one I have ever met. The very large and long tap root was hard to get at. Yes, larger machines with greater curling power would make short work of the stump. I don't have my KX80 yet. Missed a very reasonably priced low hour one in TX.

I work with with what I have have until I find the KX80 and D3 or equivalent dozer.

I can't really justify bothering a friend to bring his CAT 385 over to dig out a stump.

What sized CAT do you have? Always interested in equipment and owner's impressions.

I’ve got a Cat320L and a D5 dozer. I wouldn’t count on the D3 to do much with a stump. If you had a ripper on the back you might could bust up a stump but the dirt blade won’t do much.

I’ve got a Cat320L and a D5 dozer. I wouldn’t count on the D3 to do much with a stump. If you had a ripper on the back you might could bust up a stump but the dirt blade won’t do much.
4570Man,

Thanks. I see the 320 is 50K pound machine. Twice the KX 80 size. What caused you to buy the larger machine?

A D3 is large enough for my grading/ road work and don't intend to stump with it. Also same weight class as KX80 so hauling is simplified.

My reason for modifying the M59 hoe with coupler to use the KX buckets and tools is to be able to use same tools when KX80 arrives.

Last edited:
   / Quick attach root ripper for M59 #8  
4570Man,

Thanks. I see the 320 is 50K pound machine. Twice the KX 80 size. What caused you to buy the larger machine?

A D3 is large enough for my grading/ road work and don't intend to stump with it. Also same weight class as KX80 so hauling is simplified.

My reason for modifying the M59 hoe with coupler to use the KX buckets and tools is to be able to use same tools when KX80 arrives.

I needed something to dig 25 acres of hardwood stumps.

Maybe time to upgrade to 100K Lb machine or get a root ripper for existing. Either way, depending on how heavily populated those stumps are, you are going to be spending lots of time. My friend with 385 figures an acre an hour for stumping. With time somewhat depending on how wet ground is.

/ Quick attach root ripper for M59 #10  
Maybe time to upgrade to 100K Lb machine or get a root ripper for existing. Either way, depending on how heavily populated those stumps are, you are going to be spending lots of time. My friend with 385 figures an acre an hour for stumping. With time somewhat depending on how wet ground is.

I’m probably going to order a stump ripper for the 320. You can pretty well move the 320 in one piece with a regular semi and you could probably do the same with a 330 but much bigger and things get considerably more difficult.