Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #11  
Re: Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

It is HST and I can leave it in gear with the engine running, not set the brake, and climb off with no problem.

Some like their feet, others don't. Remember, HST machines can creep if they fall out of adjustment. Brakes are there for a reason.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #12  
My 2016 3520h Branson has none of the safety features and I don’t mind because I respect the machine. When I need to get off the seat or run the chipper via PTO, I dig the grapple or bucket in the ground every time for good measure.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #13  
I have a newer JD 2025r. Probably similar to yours in terms of safety items. Yes you have to put it in neutral but you don’t have to set the brake but should. I have 75 hours on mine and still forget sometimes.

If you are using the pto and back up you have to hit the switch before reversing. JD calls it RIO. That’s the one that bugs me. Every time I mow I forget at least a couple of times. On some machines this can be turned of using the LCD display.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #14  
If you are using the pto and back up you have to hit the switch before reversing. JD calls it RIO. That’s the one that bugs me. Every time I mow I forget at least a couple of times. On some machines this can be turned of using the LCD display.

That's one thing mine does NOT have. I can change direction at will while mowing or tilling.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #15  
Don't worry about idling. When your machine eventually needs a regen, it will perform it. The Kubotas start flashing an "RPM-Up" warning light if you aren't working at a high enough RPM, in addition to a light indicating a regen is occurring. Probably the Deeres have something similar. I've had two Kubotas with DPFs that perform regens and I've never worried about idling for too long. Last fall I was working out in the field trimming a waterline at night; I left my Kubota idling for an hour and a half just to provide lighting. Not a care in the world, and nothing bad happened to the machine, either. Idling a lot simply means the DPF will fill up a little faster with soot, and you'll need to regenerate more often. No big deal.

As far as safety features, does Deere "require" you to set neutral and the parking brake on an HST machine? I mean, if you DO engage neutral, the brake should definitely be on. But with an HST, it pretty much doesn't move. However, I'll make the following caveats to that statement:

-The tractor is more likely to roll the higher the HST range you are in (e.g. it will roll easier in High Range than Low range).
-On any type of slope, HST can still roll and the parking brake should be applied. Just use your head.

The seat safety switches can usually be defeated easily. However, I've never done it - you just get accustomed to getting out of the seat with the tractor stopped and your PTO off and your feet off the pedals.

Enjoy your new machine and post some pics!

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #16  
Before I would disable anything I would give it a month. It could become a "muscle memory" thing where you just do it without thinking. I shortened my ROPS so I could leave it up all the time. Now I fasten my seatbelt every time I move the tractor, it is just second nature. If after a month it still really annoys you do what you want.

Doug in SW IA

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #17  
Re: Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

Some like their feet, others don't. Remember, HST machines can creep if they fall out of adjustment. Brakes are there for a reason.

Only slowly. A HST machine that you put in neutral can roll quite rapidly.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #18  
The only safety I'm in favor of is the tractor shutting down the pto when your butt leaves the seat. If I somehow fall off the tractor while mowing, I want that mower deck turning off, just in case my hand or foot somehow wedges under that deck. Since I mostly don't mow with my massey tractor, I just disabled the seat safety switch altogether, so that takes care of everything.

On my craftsman tractor I mow with, I disabled the stupid RIO switch so I don't have to screw around with that anymore. But I found no way to disable the in-gear safety switch w/o also disabling the pto safety, so I just deal.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #19  
My 2025R JD does not require you to set the brake when you get off of it but it does require it to be in neutral. I had mine start to roll away on me once when I didn't get the brake set. The Kubota BX I had before didn't require neutral to get off of it and if you were on flat ground it was never a problem just to hop off. I without a doubt want mine to shut off if my but comes out of the seat while the PTO is running, such as a tip over or if you fall off. The need to hit the pto switch to back up while the pto is running is stupid. How is it safer to look at the dash to find the pto button instead of just looking backwards?

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #20  
It's incredibly stupid and annoying! Every time you get off the seat, whether to move a branch or just your butt lifts off when you lean over or whatever, you gotta mess with moving the key back and forth and repressing the switch. In my case, I gotta do that often, so I was like screeeeew thiiiiiiiis!!!, found the rio switch where it mounts, ripped it out where the reverse pedal hits it, zip-tied it outta the way. End of story.