Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
Okay guys, initiate me gently. I'm upgrading from a 1986 Deere 855 to a 2019 Deere 3033R. Obviously a more capable machine, but with the half hour of seat time I got between the various models I tested at the dealership, I'm really wondering how I'm going to adapt my work style around the safety and emissions features of this new tractor. I'm sure this is something many of you have already done, so I'm looking to learn from what you've learned.

The largest part of my work with my tractor involves driving a short distance and hopping off to do some quick work off the loader bucket while the machine idles. That may be picking up downed branches from my yard after a storm, raking out mulch in various garden in the spring, or moving firewood from the loader bucket to a firewood rack. Whereas I could hop on and off the old machine without doing anything other than taking my foot off the hydro pedals on the 855, it seems the modern machine must be sifted to neutral and then a hand brake applied. Additionally, there seem to be all sorts of warnings against idling, due to exhaust temp affecting the exhaust particulate filter.

I must have had the new machines turn themselves off on me a half dozen times, when my butt left the seat for one reason or another, something over which I've never had to worry with my old machine. Is this something you guys quickly got yourselves used to, something you disabled, or a "feature" that still frustrates you today?

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #2  

I’ve only ran a Deere machine briefly but I’d disabled that shift into neutral stupidity. I’m not a big fan of the seat safety either. I disabled it on my last tractor. Luckily neither of my backhoes had one.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #3  
No neutral safety, no parking brake safety, no seat safety here. I can idle as long as I want (no more DOC).

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #4  
Disabling the seat switch will make life much more pleasant.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine
I agree, for myself. But what of liability, and kids or others using the machine?

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #6  

Shifting to neutral to dismount would be a non-starter for me. My tractor doesn't require neutral. The two situations that the seat switch kills the engine are when the hst pedal is pressed, and getting out of the seat with the PTO engaged. I can circumvent the PTO by tipping the seat forward, which allows unattended PTO use.
Anyway, old habits die hard. I suspect you will adapt and get used to your new machine. As far as idling dpf machines, I generally set the minimum rpm at about 1500 with the throttle lever, and let the coupled hst pedal manage the throttle above that for non PTO activity.
I don't let anyone operate my machinery, so if the seat switch bothered me sufficiently, I would not be against disabling it. There is a thread here somewhere that a user added a switch to disable or enable the seat switch, which may be of interest to you.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #8  
   / Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine
Re: Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

There is a thread here somewhere that a user added a switch to disable or enable the seat switch, which may be of interest to you.
Funny you should mention this, I had already thought of doing the same, perhaps even with a keyed switch. Today, I am the only person who uses my machine. But with two kids at home, I hope that changes soon, I'm getting too old to do all this work on my own! I'd like to not have safety features defeated when they're young and learning to operate.

/ Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine #10  
Re: Modern safety features - "upgrading" from an older machine

Generally new tractors over 25 horsepower will have a diesel particulate filter (DPF), tractors of under 25 horsepower do not. I have a 2019 L2501 Kubota and it's almost as straightforward and simple as my 1974 Mitsubishi. The only time I can't get off the seat without killing the engine is when the PTO is engaged. It is HST and I can leave it in gear with the engine running, not set the brake, and climb off with no problem. I know nothing about Deere other than they're green and yellow, oh and the new compact ones have Yanmar engines and are assembled in Augusta, GA.