Snow Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #21  
I believe your 14.9 x 26 R1 tires have a 3,000 pound load rating vs 4400 pound rating on a typical 17.5 x 24 R4 tire. Tire companies state that liquid ballast must be included in the load. Not sure what your weight might be with loaded tires and backhoe. I've typically seen backhoe on R4 equipped tractors due to the higher load capacity. There are many caveats in the load inflation tables. For instance while stationary the tire can be overloaded to 135% overload (235% of rating). At 2.5 mph that drops to 100% overload and continues to drop to rated capacity at standard speed (20 mph).

Variations in recommendations are to be expected here.

Personally, as you have R1/ag tires, 3/4 filled with liquid, I think 800 pounds of Three Point Hitch counterbalance should be ample, ample for loader work. Count me in the population that attempts to minimize soil compaction while getting whatever job done.

Considering the tasks you have outlined in Post #11, with liquid filled rear tires I recommend you shop for a Box Blade or Rollover Box Blade of 700 pounds to 800 pounds weight. This assumes you will NOT have iron wheel weights.

"I am planning on using the tractor to dig out for a garage and a couple small ag sheds, dig a 3'x3'x400' ditch, install 80' of 24" pipe, 500 ft of water line, set 200- 6" posts, install 4000' of fence, cut and bale 5 acres for hay, keep 5 acres clear, seed and fertilize, keep up 1300' of gravel drive, and perform normal maintenance on a small farm."

(Lordy, I cannot imagine the cost per pound to cut, dry and bale five acres of hay with own equipment!)

You have not clarified whether or not you are considering iron wheel weights.

I have air-filled R4/industrial tires and LA805 loader on my L3560. I pull a Ford two-bottom, 12" plow and a Tufline Disc Harrow with 20" diameter pans weighing 915 pounds regularly without traction issues, over never-mud Florida sandy-loam.
For loader work I use a 700 pound, 60" wide everytfhingattachments.com Cultipacker for Three Point Hitch counterbalance most frequently.

Your loaded R1/ag tires will be 50% (estimate) more "grippy" on flat land than my air-filled R4/industrial tires.

Attachments

• DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 271
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 310
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 561
Last edited:
   / Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #22  

Personally, as you have R1/ag tires, 3/4 filled with liquid, I think 800 pounds of Three Point Hitch counterbalance should be ample, ample for loader work. Count me in the population that attempts to minimize soil compaction while getting whatever job done.

Considering the tasks you have outlined in Post #11, I recommend you shop for a Box Blade or Rollover Box Blade of 700 pounds to 800 pounds weight. This assumes you will NOT have iron wheel weights.

"I am planning on using the tractor to dig out for a garage and a couple small ag sheds, dig a 3'x3'x400' ditch, install 80' of 24" pipe, 500 ft of water line, set 200- 6" posts, install 4000' of fence, cut and bale 5 acres for hay, keep 5 acres clear, seed and fertilize, keep up 1300' of gravel drive, and perform normal maintenance on a small farm."

(Lordy, I cannot imagine the cost per pound to cut, dry and bale five acres of hay!)

I have air-filled R4/industrial tires and LA805 loader on my L3560. I pull a two-bottom, 12" plow and a Disc Harrow with 20" diameter pans weighing 915 pounds regularly without traction issues, over never-mud Florida sandy-loam. For loader work I use a 700 pound, 60" wide everytfhingattachments.com Cultipacker for Three Point Hitch counterbalance most frequently.

Jeff,
Third sentence of his original post.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea.

Personally, as you have R1/ag tires, 3/4 filled with liquid, I think 800 pounds of Three Point Hitch counterbalance should be ample, ample for loader work. Count me in the camp that attempts to minimize soil compaction while getting whatever job done.

Considering the tasks you have outlined in Post #11, I recommend you shop for a Box Blade or Rollover Box Blade of 700 pounds to 800 pounds weight. This assumes you will NOT have iron wheel weights.

(Lordy, I cannot imagine the cost per pound to cut, dry and bale five acres of hay!)

Thanks Jeff for the info!

In addition to the backhoe and 4n1, I have purchased 600 lbs of wheel weight, 6ft bushing, 5.5ft disc, 6.5ft box blade, spreader, angle blade, and an auger with three bits. I am getting ready to order a set of forks and a 3 point goose-neck.

The dealer said that having filled tires, wheel weights, and the backhoe on should be fine.

The tractor has been at the dealer being built for 2 1/2 weeks. They have a hydraulic issue now, only getting 80 lbs of pressure to the hoe. Looks like it will be another week.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #24  
As a FYI despite having almost double the HP of a L3560 a L6060 only weighs 500lbs more tops. And while I consider a L3560 underpowered (at least at Colorado altitude, personally I went for a L4060 as I couldn't justify a L4760) it is still traction limited pulling a plow or box blade, not power limited. To make a L6060 work harder with a ground engaging impliment you need to pack on the lbs for weight. I'm pretty sure the high HP Grand Ls mostly get used for pulling big mowers that can tap all that HP. I can choke my L4060 with thicker grass & a 7' flail.

I generally agree on the box blade stuff too. Only I'd recommend a 1,000lbs box. My 32hp 3,500 loaded L3200 pulled my 650lbs ish box ok. It needs more weight to cut well though & the L4060 has no issues pulling it even with 200lbs+ strapped to it.

Wheel ballast adds traction & to some degree increases loader capacity. 3pt ballast on the back acts like a fat kid on a teter-toter. It lifts up the front end & takes weight off the weaker expensive complex front axle. Backhoes make great ballast, other than being a bit tall. If you ever need more ballast just stick the backhoe boom straight back for more leverage. If you do it with a scoop of dirt in the bucket you probably won't even have to sort about your front axle carrying any weight at all.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #25  
INTERESTING ~~~

Kubota Grand L Operator's Manual, Page 82, TIRES, WHEELS AND BALLAST

Same size R4/indurstrial tires are spec'ed for all four, four cylinder Grand Ls = 17.5-24.

Different size R1/ag tires = (L4060/L4760 = 14.9-24) (L5060/L5460/L6060 = 13.6-28 or 14.9-26)

Page 84, TIRES, WHEELS AND BALLAST

Rear Wheel Weights (option)

(L3560/L4060/L4760 = 28 kg X 3 pieces (185 lbs.)
(L5060/L5460/L6060 = 47 kg X 3 pieces (310 lbs.)

Until now, I never noticed these wheel/tire distinctions between the Grand Ls, especially wheel/tire distinctions between the four cylinder Grand Ls.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #26  
~~~despite having almost double the HP of a L3560 a L6060 only weighs 500lbs more tops. To make a L6060 work harder with a ground engaging impliment you need to pack weight. <on the wheels.>
Wheel ballast adds traction & to some degree increases loader capacity.

3pt ballast on the back acts like a fat kid on a teter-toter. It lifts up the front end & takes weight off the weaker expensive complex front axle. Backhoes make great ballast, other than being a bit tall. If you ever need more ballast just stick the backhoe boom straight back for more leverage. If you do it with a scoop of dirt in the <Backhoe> bucket you probably won't even have to sort about your front axle carrying any weight at all.~~~

I generally agree on the box blade stuff too. Only I'd recommend a 1,000 lbs box.

Good reasoning FALLON; better than mine.
Load the R1s, bolt on iron wheel weights.
No sarcasm. I have converted to your recommendations.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #27  
Our MX5100 had loaded rears, currently our L5740 does not. I thought maybe I'd get away without loading, but after messing around for a few months I feel performance is weak. Even with the BH mounted the back is noticeably lighter when moving big rocks with pallet forks. My dealer just quoted $412 for Rimgaurd. (17.5L-24 R4 ) Don't know if that's the a typical rate?

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #28  
Our MX5100 had loaded rears, currently our L5740 does not. I thought maybe I'd get away without loading, but after messing around for a few months I feel performance is weak. Even with the BH mounted the back is noticeably lighter when moving big rocks with pallet forks. My dealer just quoted $412 for Rimgaurd. (17.5L-24 R4 ) Don't know if that's the a typical rate?
It's in the ballpark I think. No clue what it was for the line item in my new L4060.

My newish dealer didn't have the pump when I got my L3200 & I wanted to try it without first anyway... No traction & no decent loader lift capacity much less stability while lifting & it was back to the dealer pretty quick. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of $300 to load the tires with BioBallast (functionally similar to RimGuard, but not beat juice). Worth every penny.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #29  
I recently bought a used L5740. On the way to New York to pick it up, I also stopped along the way to grab a used set of wheel weights. When I got home I realized the rear tires were already filled (washer fluid). At that point I already had the weights so I went ahead and installed them anyway. With the wheels set the to the "medium" track width configuration, all 3 weights fit within the wheel and do not extend but maybe a 1/2" out from the face of the rim. I'm not worried about soil compaction in what i'm doing, so I didn't see any reason not to have max weight.

I had a big Cedar fall down across my driveway this weekend. Even with all the tire weight / ballast, the tractor still tried to pick up the rear tires. A 3pt hitch ballast box would certainly be more effective for dedicated heavy loader work. I still like having max ballast, on the tractor allowing me to keep my 3pt hitch available for other use.

IMG_9100.JPG

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #30  
I have fluid in my tires as well as wheel weights, dealer installed my weights free and no problems so far. I usually have 1100 pounds on my 3PH, but have used it without.