Snow Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #41  
Look

I only broke the front axle of my L39 twice in 2,200 hours of operation.

Fist time I hit it with my PC75 UU2 excavator.

2n'd time I dropped a big rock into the bucket with my excavator, and I did not have the L39's bucket firmly on the ground.

So neither of that stuff counts.

L39 is nothing more than a grand L with an integral frame, a bigger loader, and stronger hoe. L39 has same 'fragile' font axle.

Considering how hard I use my tractor, you would have to rather abusive to hurt the front end of a grand L.

What part of the axle broke? Any pictures of the broken parts?

The L3940 has the same axle as the L3560 and L4060. The higher horsepower L60's, L4760 and up, have a bigger front axle. They also get the loader with more capacity.

/ Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #42  
No Pictures
Once it just tweaked it and required bearings, seals, and shaft (010), the other time with the rock the casting broke (030.110).

Attachments

• Front Axle 010.JPG
    Front Axle 010.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Front Axle 030,110.JPG
    Front Axle 030,110.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 70
  • P1010718.jpg
    P1010718.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 83
   / Is adding max weight to a Grand L a good idea. #43  
I just want to chime in here late and say that on this forum, and from local tractor dealers, I've heard a lot of great advice, but also a lot of negativity about "digging" with tractors, or buying attachments that are "too big" or HST is "no good" for some task, "just rent a mini ex", and a tractor dealer owner even cringed and said "ewwww" when I told him I had a L2501 when asking about sub-soilers and proceeded to ignore me and continue typing on his computer! It's disheartening. I've been running my tractor for maybe around 2 years now, coming on 300 hours, on hilly rocky terrain and have finally gotten what I wish I had back when I first started posting here...EXPERIENCE!

Anyways, take everyone's advice lightly. Ultimately, when I follow my gut instinct on the "go big, go heavy, be careful, work the machine hard but reasonable" I find I have much more success... rather than buying lighter attachments, not having extra weight, and not attempting a task or purchasing an attachment because I've been talked out of it.

I probably would have flipped my tractor by now if I had a gear drive when pulling the sub-soiler on contour around the hills here, low gear, 4x4 and precision pedal work is very nice.

Maybe the machine is working too hard, I don't know...seems to be holding up fine, I got the tooth bar on my front bucket (which again was kind of discouraged among some) but the thing is a digging machine, and ousting rocks would be so much harder without it. I got the backhoe - again a frowner among some...well even the little BH77 has proven to be a very strong and crafty device for any and all excavation tasks, and people complain about taking on/off the hoe to the point where they try to persuade some to just "rent a mini-ex"???

I'm very glad I didn't follow that advice. I can't count the number of times I used the hoe, or change my mind on a project a few days later and need to re-dig something, or just need it for something small and quick...literally can have it on and off in less than 20 minutes now and that's not even rushing the procedure. It would be expensive, time consuming, and inefficient to rely on a rental for my situations.

Everyone is different, and yes I should have bought an L47 but $ was an issue, I think just about any machine can get a job done if suited out properly and enough time and thought given to the task :)