Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight)

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #1  

Spanky100

Silver Member
NE Texas, NE Tennessee, and SE MI and SW OH
Tractor
Current Kioti CK27HST and Cub Cadet 1810. Previous NH1510 Hydro, AC D14, Oliver 1355?, and JD 314 Lawn Tractor
Looking for help in selecting a trailer type to purchase with the following inputs

- Current Tractor Kioti CK27HST with FEL (tires not loaded estimated tractor and FEL weight 3800 pounds) and 65 inch 3 point mount Flail Mower (900 pounds) = total weight 4700 pounds for tractor/FEL/Flail mower combo.

- Current tow vehicle 2022 Silverado 1500 series Crew Cab short box 4WD. Will use factory 2 inch receiver hitch. Truck weight label shows 9000 pound conventional tow capability with 900 pound tongue weight max limit.

- Planned use each April tow 500 mile on interstate highways/county roads to summer property and return 500 miles in November. Mostly level interstate towing. April thru November tow use will be on local country paved roads towing under 20 miles from base (estimate 10 times total so about 200 miles total during mowing season). Some local areas have short grades up to 3 percent.

- Trailer thoughts, suggestions, and ideas. My initial concern is the 1500 series truck limits of 9000 conventional tow limit with 900 pound tongue weight limit. (tractor/FEL/Mower weight of 4700 pounds plus the expected trailer weight are nearing tow limit but could exceed max tongue weight. Need to consider sufficient trailer deck length to properly position tractor for correct tongue weight (10 percent?). Will I need weight distributing hitch setup that I see many people with travel trailers using?

I have been considering the following types of equipment trailers (all 14,000 pound rated trailers with stake pockets and D-rings. Most I see have wood decking versus steel). Trailer will be parked outside year round on gravel.

Open to thoughts and suggestions as I am new to towing tractors. Below is what I have started to look at and need the advice from this team to continue down the selection process. After I determine type of trailer I will be asking for more help selecting brands and dealers for best value.

- 82 in wide 20 foot long equipment trailers with ramps. (14,000 pound with stake pockets and D rings
- 82 inch wide 20 foot long full tilt
- 82 inch wide 22.5 foot long with 14.5 foot tilt section and 8 foot stationary front section
- Should I add consideration for deck-over trailers or other types

Thanks for your help and input. I am just getting started in the selection and do not have experience towing tractors.

Spanky

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #2  
I wouldn't worry about the 900 lb tongue weight. You can always use a weight distribution hitch. Also, your 4700 lb. tractor weight plus trailer weight (3500-4000 lb.) will be just under your truck tow rating of 9K.
I had a 20' full tilt bed and found it to be too short at times. Sold it and went with a 14K 22' full tilt bed which has a 2' tail so actual length is 24'. Also have a 2500HD since my 1500 was over the limit with a 14K trailer. My 1500 was only rated for a 12K trailer. I also use chain and ratchet binders which have lasted much longer than the ratchet straps I previously used.

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #3  
Usually people recommend a 14,000 trailer but in this case I’d go lighter. A 7000 pound trailer will get the job done or an even a 10,000 pound one. A 18 foot 7000 pound trailer will weigh 3000 pounds, probably closer to 2000 pounds. This should get the job done. The reason I recommend this is to lighten the load for your truck. Yes you will need a weight distribution hitch. I’d probably skip it for the short local tows but I’d use it for the long one.

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #4  
I really dislike towing at the weight limits of either the trailer or tow vehicle. A 7K trailer is going to be close to the GTWR, plus the ramps are generally too light duty for a tractor without jumping through hoops loading.
I think I would be looking at 10-12K trailers.

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #5  
The ramps on mine are plenty heavy duty. I looked up a couple of trailers and both weighed under 2000 pounds. This allows for a little over 5000 pounds payload. If the OP had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I’d say get the bigger trailer but I’d look at lighter trailers with his truck.

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #6  
Weight wise, I think you'd be fine with a heavy duty car trailer.

Measure the length of your rig from the front of the bucket to the back of the mower, although a flail will be a lot shorter than a brush hog.

Try to guess the weight distribution. Many equipment trailers put the wheels too far back to be comfortable with half ton pickups.

An aluminum trailer will save some weight, but the good heavy duty ones are expensive.

Here in Oregon, a "Light Trailer" license is up to 8,000 lbs. You can probably fudge a little. However, if you bring in a 14K trailer, you'd have quite a few licensing hoops to jump through, and your half ton pickup might not cut it.

Last edited:
   / Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight)
I wouldn't worry about the 900 lb tongue weight. You can always use a weight distribution hitch. Also, your 4700 lb. tractor weight plus trailer weight (3500-4000 lb.) will be just under your truck tow rating of 9K.
I had a 20' full tilt bed and found it to be too short at times. Sold it and went with a 14K 22' full tilt bed which has a 2' tail so actual length is 24'. Also have a 2500HD since my 1500 was over the limit with a 14K trailer. My 1500 was only rated for a 12K trailer. I also use chain and ratchet binders which have lasted much longer than the ratchet straps I previously used.
George2615

Great info. Do you prefer the tilt bed trailer over non-tilt with ramps? My thinking for a tilt bed is incase I ever need to trailer a car or another trailer I could winch it up on the tilt bed easier than use ramps designed for equipment. Plus with tilt trailer would not have to mess with either slide out ramps spring assisted pull down ramps.

Question on your current 22 foot full tilt trailer with 2 foot tail for total of 24 foot length. Is the tail section a dove tail or am i missing how the tail is constructed?

Thanks

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight)
The ramps on mine are plenty heavy duty. I looked up a couple of trailers and both weighed under 2000 pounds. This allows for a little over 5000 pounds payload. If the OP had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck I’d say get the bigger trailer but I’d look at lighter trailers with his truck.
Dodge Man

Good point with the 1500 series and to consider a lighter trailer option. With my limited yearly towing it is a potential option.

Over the last 20 plus years I have had 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups but for the last truck purchase my wife said she would drive a 1500 pickup but not a 2500/3500. Lesson learned as we have had the 1500 series about 2.5years now and she has not driven it once so next time i will go back to a 2500 or SRW 3500. I do enjoy the greater fuel economy with the 1500 series truck.

Thanks

/ Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #9  
George2615

Great info. Do you prefer the tilt bed trailer over non-tilt with ramps? My thinking for a tilt bed is incase I ever need to trailer a car or another trailer I could winch it up on the tilt bed easier than use ramps designed for equipment. Plus with tilt trailer would not have to mess with either slide out ramps spring assisted pull down ramps.

Question on your current 22 foot full tilt trailer with 2 foot tail for total of 24 foot length. Is the tail section a dove tail or am i missing how the tail is constructed?

Thanks
Yes, I prefer the tilt bed. I've had many conventional trailers with ramps in the past but as I got older ramps were no longer fun to use and seemed to get heavier too, plus with ramps many smaller low clearance cars have a hard time getting over the hump.

My current trailer has a 22' wood deck and the 2' tail is steel. I do have a 8K winch installed (not shown)

I also agree with others that a 10-12K trailer would be better for your application.

Attachments

• PJ side.JPG
    PJ side.JPG
    635.5 KB · Views: 30
  • PJ 22' tilt bed.JPG
    PJ 22' tilt bed.JPG
    487.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
   / Trailer Type Selection Help. - Towing 4WD Tractor with FEL and Flail Mower (4700 pound total weight) #10  
I would go longer on the trailer since towing with a 1500 as it will be easier to get the balance right.

A 10k trailer would work well. I would not tow it with a 7k for that far as it will be hard on the bearings.