Horse repower

/ Horse repower #1  

kmiz

Tractor
massey 65
I just repowered my horse with the Kohler ch-270, 7 hp, 208cc, which is an awesome little motor. That being said, has anyone else used this and or a similar size motor. I have clay and I feel that this motor is not sufficient. The old briggs 7 I/C would just bear down and dig deeper, this motor stalls out and even was knocking when tilling. And no the oil sensor is not the problem. I'm looking for a Honda gx 240 or 270 but they come with a 1" inch shaft. I see different people have put these on a troybilt so I was wondering what they did to make it work? Cut and rekey the shaft, bore out the pulley, is there an aftermarket 1" pulley?

Last edited:
   / Horse repower #2  
My horse model has the Kohler 8 magnum and I think its 305 cc or so.
It doesnt bog. I think these new overhead valves lack the torque of the flatheads.
Was rebuilding the old motor not an option?

/ Horse repower
I believe they are rated high. This motor is 208cc and 7hp. they offer the ch260 which is 6hp and also 208cc's? The bottom line is a suitable replacement would be between 250 and 305cc's. These motors are small and just don't have the volume of the bigger motors I still have the 7hp briggs but I need to check around. One repair shop started at over $500 and he said that was just the parts???

/ Horse repower #4  
That seems high but not actually looking the parts up dont know for sure.
What was the matter with the old motor?

/ Horse repower #5  
Just looked and without knowing the exact model it looks like a complete rebuild kit is less than $100

/ Horse repower
I bought in 2012 and it ran like a champ till last year. I couldn't get it to run right at 3/4 -full throttle. rebuilt carb, no help. Then compression test was 80#.Then told it was that much which I thought was crazy, but he is a friend and I trusted him so I bought the Kohler command pro 7hp. I have always like Kohlers, right behind Honda's, but I always thought the b&s 7hp I/C was a darn good motor.

Last edited:
   / Horse repower
My motor: model v type
171432-0829-01
code 8801410
Where are you looking up the parts from, aftermarket or B&S. Thanks for your help.

/ Horse repower #9  
I saw one kit at lawnmowerstuff.com for $65 or so that I think fits yours. They also have an oversize kit if yours needed boring.

/ Horse repower
I tried to contact Kohler to talk to a tech about that motor and they had some other company contact me. All I wanted to know is if the ch395 is available or could be made available in limited numbers in a 3/4" shaft for troybilt repowers. All I get for responses are, everyone is satisfied with the ch270, there must be something wrong with my machine. Look at troybilts today, the smaller Broncos, ponies come with a 208cc motor and the horse/big red come with a b&s 306cc 10hp motor, yet they tell me the ch270 is enough motor??? Although when I contacted Honda they said all gx240 and up motors are 1" shafts yet I see on small engine warehouse that they have a gx270-troy-34. It's getting real old fast trying to contact companies to talk to a tech and getting a call center that doesn't know crap!