Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #1  

Frocker98

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Hello everybody! My father in law gave a me troybilt horse PTO tiller recently. It was just sitting in his barn and they were getting ready to move. Only thing is I had to fix it up. Replaced the the spark plug, new tires and was able to get the the 7hp kohler running right away. Only problem was the tiller wouldn't engage. My FIL came over and helped me tear the into the motor side of the dog clutch and we found that the cap screw that engaged the clutch was worn out. We replaced it and the tines would engage. But now, the tiller will whine and the tines will not turn when in the ground or stop turning when out of the ground. We believe the spring behind the dog clutch may be worn or broke.
My problem is I am not able to get the clutch piece of of the tiller shaft. The key way will not remove. I got some diagrams off of the web, but they haven't helped much.
Does anybody have any advice on how to get the dog clutch off? My garden is being overrun by weeds and the wife is getting upset!

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #2  
Good morning - I've spent the last hour digging thru my old Troybilt - Master Parts Catalog for the Horse Model and Troy-Bilt owners manual and the 8 hp supplemental manual.

I can confirm that there is a clutch pawl spring on your unit. However, while its listed in the parts description - - it certainly is not shown on the diagram. FWIW - its part# - 1492 Spring- clutch pawl - - replaces part# 1122.

I was going to upload one of these diagrams for you - but it won't show anything you don't already know.

If the "clutch piece" is a standard pulley - then - - a lot of WD-40 type product - some appropriately applied heat from a torch - and a pulley/gear puller.

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch
Thanks for your reply, but I am unable to get behind the clutch to get a puller on it. Do I need to remove the rear cover and go at it from that direction?
Thanks
Frocker98

IMG_1727.jpg

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #4  
OK - by looking at the picture - I see what you are talking about. Removal of the key from the keyway is the critical operation. There has GOT to be some way to get that key out. Its critical to servicing that entire little unit. Obviously you can't simply go at it from the back side and drive the key out or you would have already done that. And I doubt that the keyway is cut far enough down the shaft to drive it out from the front.

Perhaps somebody will come along that has the solution. Wish I could have been more help.

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #5  
Maybe put a muffler clamp on the clutch dog, then a gear puller to pull it.

Bruce

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch
I had high hopes for the muffler clamp idea, but unfortunately when i put the puller on it slid up the clutch dog. i am thinking the spring may be fine and that the problem is the clutch dog is seized on the shaft from sitting out for a couple years.
Thanks
Jon

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #7  
Your "maybe" seized clutch dog might loosen up if you could get spray lube to it. Otherwise - if you have access to any type of automotive repair shop or the like - see if they have a SONIC CLEANER. It uses ultrasonic sound and a very penetrating fluid to free up stuck parts and the like. If you can find such a unit - a couple hours in the sonic cleaner may solve the problem.

/ Troy bilt Horse pto dog clutch #8  
Try a bearing splitter in behind and hook puller to that. ---You really need a lot of heat,-- like oxy./act. to get enough heat along with a lot of penetrating stuff.--Heat then spray, heat spray.--it will finally creep back in there and should pry off. thanks ; sonny580