TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #1  

Lefty7

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HSTC, LA724, BH92, RTV-X1100C, 1978 Dodge D100 Adventurer (Sunrise Orange), 2018 Ram 2500 (Omaha Orange)
Just completed a planned-for and long-awaited refurb on my TroyBilt tiller. More than just a tiller, it’s become part of an important wintertime lifeline here for heating our old pre-Civil War farmhouse.

I first became acquainted with Grandpa’s TroyBilt, years ago. It was 6 or 7HP, and by then was too unwieldy for him to use, much less my 5’2” Mom, who wanted her garden and raised beds done each Spring. So, as a young one, I’d happily do them, at which time I became familiar with the basics of these machines.

Years later, I bought an 8HP electric start Horse model (with the PTO) for my own home use. It had the Briggs&Stratton, which eventually blew up after years of hard service, which was my fault: it had developed major ring wear, and I rushed to the job without checking the oil. Bango. Traded it in - replaced it with the Kohler-motored version and never looked back.

From owning 2 of them, I guess I gathered up almost all of the attachments: front bumper/guard, plow, tire chains, V-sweep cultivator, hiller/furrower and, most important of all, Didier hydraulic woodsplitter. This pooch keeps the home fires burning…

It had been going downhill slowly and gradually over the last 4 years or so. The starter stopped starting, (so it was pull cord city), had a slow, steady trans lube leak from the axle on one side, the tires were checked and rim-leaking air whenever the seasons changed, etc., etc.

I studied the available exploded parts diagrams to figure out what this 25+-year-old mechanical equine might need. The effort wasn’t ever at the top of my list, and it ended up taking several years to gather stuff, but before going into firewood processing time in late ‘21, the time had come.

The unit as shown now has new: tires (with tubes, this time!), original-type spirol pins to secure the wheels to the axles (because bolts will eventually shear), starter solenoid, battery, battery cable and key switch, axle seals, (both sides), full synthetic engine oil and tranny oil.

I didn’t do all the work myself – I farmed some of it out to a local power equipment shop, but had made serious in-person inquiry ahead of time to make sure they were up to the task and willing to take it on. As stated elsewhere, these things ain’t rocket science – much less anti-grav – but a lot of places these days can’t cope with a starter that comes apart when you remove it. (They’re not modular like modern automotive stuff.)

It was a cold Nov. day when I brought it home from the shop, and wifey was amused but tolerant when I off-ed it from the pickup and brought it into the house to let it warm up for a wax job. I don’t know who else out there is nutty enough to wax a rototiller, but I did it when it was new, like I do with most of my stuff. Wife said the TroyBilt “looked like it was smiling”. ~Lefty

Attachments

• PB248990.JPG
    PB248990.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 166
  • PB258950.JPG
    PB258950.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 158
   / TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #2  
Nice job!

I bought a 6 HP Horse 40 years ago and it was old when I bought it. Needless to say I have "rebuilt" it more than once including a couple of new engines. My son has it now and I'm hoping he will keep it chugging another 40 years. They are without a doubt the best built tilling machine ever.

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #3  
Nice! Mine is only 15 years old; no rebuilds yet.

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #4  
Have an older Horse that lost the Tecumseh mosquito chaser years ago for a Kohler. Good tiller but I don't use it much anymore. Bought one of those Cubs with the counter rotating tines. I use that mostly now. Has a Honda on it and I added the hiller-furrower for my taters.

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #5  
Bought one of those Cubs with the counter rotating tines. I use that mostly now. Has a Honda on it and I added the hiller-furrower for my taters.
The reason I gave my Troy-Built to my son is I scored a 6 foot tiller for the tractor a few years back. One day I was cruising E-bay when I came across brand new "King Cutter" tiller listed reasonably close to home with a "Make an offer" link. I offered $1K and much to my surprise the seller accepted. When I went to get it the manager told me the owner was not happy with her for accepting my offer.

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb
Understood.

I used to use my TroyBilt each year to prep the whole 100'x120' garden - a little over 1/4 acre. I would load up on a hungry man breakfast, till, refuel myself and the machine, and go back at it - often getting the plot down twice before sundown, the second time cross grain from the first. I was younger then...

As a tiller, it now sees only limited use weeding & cultivating between rows, hilling up taters and the corn rows. In 2012 - with a lotta valuable help from the good folks on these forums - I sprung for my Kubota, and use a Phoenix/Sicma reverse rotation tiller behind it. It's a workin' thaang, and when all adjustments are correct, and conditions and depth are close to perfect, it turns out a rockless planting medium that looks like a brown carpet.

So nowadays, the Horse I bought in '94 doesn't work nearly so hard until it's firewood time. I know I'm bragging, but it sure is fine to go out there and hit that key, and have it fire up and start to purr after no more that 2 rotations.

Here it is with the Didier/Western woodsplitter attached.

Attachments

• PB258959.JPG
    PB258959.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 143
   / TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #7  
I bought a Horse tiller new in 1991. I’ve kept it clean and waxed and service ever since. Last year the 8 HP Kohler started kicking back when pulling the starter rope and before I found the coil to be the culprit it had ruined the recoil assembly. Well I was shocked to find these were obsolete and unavailable for a M8T Kohler. I bit the bullet and bought a Honda GX270 from small engine warehouse, they have a direct replacement engine available with the crank turned down. Replaced a axle seal and changed the gear oil. It’s ready for many more years. Love the Honda engine
IMG_0415.jpg

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb
I bought a Horse tiller new in 1991. I’ve kept it clean and waxed and service ever since. Last year the 8 HP Kohler started kicking back when pulling the starter rope and before I found the coil to be the culprit it had ruined the recoil assembly. Well I was shocked to find these were obsolete and unavailable for a M8T Kohler. I bit the bullet and bought a Honda GX270 from small engine warehouse, they have a direct replacement engine available with the crank turned down. Replaced a axle seal and changed the gear oil. It’s ready for many more years. Love the Honda engine
View attachment 724197
Wow. Looks great - and I'm glad I'm not the only one who waxes a tiller.

Also: valuable info about the engine(s). Thanks. Yeah, Hondas are great.

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #9  
View attachment 724197
Good looking.
How does that till and handle with the Honda engine? Does it feel lighter without the Koehler?

/ TroyBilt 8HP Horse Refurb #10  
Lefty7
Now you've got two "keepers" in life. That tiller and the wife who will let you wax the thing in the house. :)