Generators - Backfeeding - 120V

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #111  
Those SMM Modules only work on 240 circuits. I doubt the 4000 watt gen has 240 output
Ran our house for years during power outages with a 4000 watt generator (it had a 6600 watt surge rating). It had both 240 and 120 outputs. It took some load management: I'd leave the well pump turned off until we needed it. When I needed to pump up the pressure tank, I'd just shut off the circuits for the fridge and freezer.

Finally had to replace the old 4KW generator when it took a lightning hit during the construction of our tree house. We went with a 5500 watt (continuous rating) Honda, so I don't have to be quite so careful with the load management.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #112  
You cant afford it is no excuse for this cobble job and I am weary of looking for the 1 or 2 people on this thread even call this system by the right voltage.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #113  
I know all the instruments on the plane should work correctly but it dont matter because i know where i am going despite the fact i dont know the difference beteeen av gas and jet fuel. We really dont need legal tires on the landing gear cause i cant afford them.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #114  
37A371FD-8CDA-4D08-AD8F-DA0CB715CBE2.jpeg

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #115  
On a generator panel, how do you keep the generator from back feeding to all the breakers in the house?

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #117  
On a generator panel, how do you keep the generator from back feeding to all the breakers in the house?
You should have an on/off/on switch between the generator panel and the rest of the house wiring. That turns off power company power, goes to off, then turns on generator power. It also isolates the generator panel from the home panel so that any circuits not in the generator panel cannot be backfed from the generator.

That's the best, safest way.

You could use an on/off/on switch, a manual transfer switch, and automatic transfer switch, a lockout, etc., but they all perform the same function;

- disconnect power company power.
- go to an off position.
- connect generator power.
That way, the two power sources cannot mix, and cannot backfeed each other.

Absent of one of those devices, the only way would be to turn off the main, and turn off all of the house breakers before starting the generator and select the loads you want to run. And unless you have a good understanding of that, as someone else mentioned, and can guarantee you'll never mess up the sequence, don't do it yourself. You could kill someone including yourself. Have an electrician wire you up a proper transfer option.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #118  
I have a quick question. I have a separate sub panel that services my heat pump.

I've been thinking that, when I get a generator, I want to get a generator input wired up on the house, to a double pole breaker and an interlock kit.

However, since I have that sub panel, a simple interlock will not suffice, right? The main on either panel will shut off the whole house (I believe). So I'm guessing both mains will need to be shut off to feed power to the house, and one interlock does not ensure that.

Just making sure I'm following things correctly.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #119  
I have a quick question. I have a separate sub panel that services my heat pump.

I've been thinking that, when I get a generator, I want to get a generator input wired up on the house, to a double pole breaker and an interlock kit.

However, since I have that sub panel, a simple interlock will not suffice, right? The main on either panel will shut off the whole house (I believe). So I'm guessing both mains will need to be shut off to feed power to the house, and one interlock does not ensure that.

Just making sure I'm following things correctly.
if the the subpanel is fed off the main panel, you only need one interlock. you only need to shutoff the main breaker, at the panel, that is wired to the pole. this is to stop electricity from flowing out onto the powerlines on the pole.

/ Generators - Backfeeding - 120V #120  
I assumed that was the case, until a few days ago I flipped the main on my sub panel to work on my HVAC (fan was frozen with ice) and it shut the whole house off. Since that sub panel had the ability to shut the whole house off I wasn't sure if that meant it feed from the main panel or not.