Fun with square tubing

/ Fun with square tubing #51  
I see you like welding projects. I do some too, but my brother is better than i am at fabing projects up.
I have a Band "saw mill", my Brother liked it, and even though he has never even run a saw mill, he looked mine over and built one for him self!
Check out the pictures of it i took the other day, click on the first picture, and read the captions. They tell more about his saw mill.
Hope you all like the pictures,
Robert

Home Made Band Saw
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3009465

/ Fun with square tubing #52  
Good point about the gate hinge.

I have a Miller 250x mig and have seen the glue gun effect. Right now the top pin connection for my 3pt forks are hanging from one weld. The other weld went "ping" and the joint opened up with a 1/8" gap. Bead was pretty, but looks like the base metal melted only a few spotchy places. Prior to welding I groung the parts to make sure they were clean. My friend stressed penetration. It seems like I need to concentrate on the weld arc going into base metal instead of being on top of the puddle. Is this right?

I have some welds to the forks to make. Someone suggested I take out the rosebud and preheat the fork at the weld area to help penetration. Do ya think it's good to do?

Good esay on welding.

JRPoux

/ Fun with square tubing #53  
I have the Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC and have had very good success with it. I modified mine by adding some large electrolytic capacitors across the DC rectifier inside the welder. It makes stricking an arc much easier and once started the arc is smoother which produces a much better bead. I can generally use a lower current setting to get the same results. The capacitors filter out the ripple in the rectified DC. I generally use DC for most jobs.

As someone else already suggested, I took an adult ed class and learned oxy/acetylene, then stick, tig and mig. Proper training along with practice makes a big difference in your welding skills.

I bought all of my equipment used from ebay or the local adverising paper. $95 for the Miller Thunderbolt and $100 for a complete oxy/acetylene set up. It does not take much money to get started as long as you are patient and now where to look.

/ Fun with square tubing
Your brother is quite a talent. I really liked <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=3009465&a=30230534&p=60948241&f=0>the pictures</A> of it.

/ Fun with square tubing
I generally find that folks who weld occasinally have their machines set too hot for the weld. And if they grab my equipment to do a weld they'll start off with some sticking and a bit of hissy fitting.

The hotter you have the weld the more likely of you disturbing the metalurgy of the material around the weld. Then the metal fails and the weld is fine. But you still have a failure.

Thanks for mentioning shopping for price. My little MIG I use, got rid of the big one, was on sale for just under six and the list was over eight. My small plasma cutter I picked up new for fifteen as it was a model year old and the last one they had in house. Just a week before it was available for twenty two.

The other day I was sorely tempted to buy a new A/C, D/C, TIG, machine for eighteen. It again was a model year long of tooth and just over a thousand off price.

The one thing I don't shop cheap on is the hood. I look for deals but I don't shop cheap. I use Jacksons. I've got four. All of them have quick change lenses. The one I use almost all the time allows me to push a button and change from electric welding to a shade five for gas work. Or I can push another button and it changes to clear for grinding. There are all kinds of adjustments from the delay time to the shade setting etc. It is a cadillac of hoods. It ain't cheap.

I think a quick change hood is a must for a rookie. It just makes things so much simpler. And you can get a good one without all the bells and whistles that works just fine for a tad over a hundred, money well spent.

/ Fun with square tubing #56  
I have a very stupid question. One that I have a lot of curiousity about. When one is welding anything, is a weld, a peice of ore that is in the center of the rod, and or wire that is like glue, and attaches the two pieces, or does a weld actually melt the two metals and then they become one?

I have a brother that is an underwater welder in Alaska, and when he comes up for his 30 days above sea, I never see him, so cant ask him. He is down below the ocean for 30 days at a time in a bubble that has everything that you ever wanted in it. And then goes"swimming, and welding", daily.

Thanks

Aric YM1401/w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

/ Fun with square tubing #57  
A weld is actually melting the 2 pieces together. Brazing/ soldering is like glueing the pieces together.

/ Fun with square tubing #59  
Alright, now I have a really tough question for you.

My dad wants a ROPS bad. I was telling him the other day to decide on what size of square tubing he wanted and we would go from there. So, he decided on 2" square tubing. Can you bend that with either of these jigs? And then what about on the tubing, doesnt the center of it need to be punched in, so as to allow it to bend? Do I make any sense? BTW, he only wants the ROPS to attach a roof to it, and for some loader safety, but that is not all of it.

Thanks,

Aric

/ Fun with square tubing #60  
I just posted a similar question on the other thread regarding bending tubing. I want to add a roll bar to the front so I can make a canopy and possibly a cab for the winter.