Fun with square tubing

/ Fun with square tubing #61  
I really enjoy reading all of this thread on bending tubing and welding.

Last year I wanted to purchase a stick welder. I checked out the Lincoln 225 at the local dealer. As stated before on this thread, the AC225 was about $200 BUT the same machine in AD/DC was only about $400. I went with the AD/DC.

Now if I could only learn to get those "stack of dime" beads...

/ Fun with square tubing #62  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Wow Mark, You and me have a lot in common.

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Harv. I'm a mere babe compared to all that you've done. But I can offer hope for the newbies as I'm really not too far down the road myself.

I always enjoy reading your posts and looking at your pictures.

Mark

/ Fun with square tubing
Evening Mark,

You're the reason I posted those links to the blacksmith sites. I don't know if you've been exposed to it much but I'd bet the hole against the donut that you'd fit in like few could.

Do cruise through <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.keenjunk.com/junkyard.htm>heaven</A> just cause I think you'll love the place. They got some boys over there that were smart before water met mud.

Ron says he thinks you're up in northwest Tejas. Check out the ABANA site and find a local group. If you think welding is fun you'd be only half right. Blacksmithing is a total toot.

/ Fun with square tubing #64  
I too am in the process of teaching myself how to weld and would love all the tips I can get.I'll even sit in the second row if there's an empty desk......
bought a lincoln ac buzzbox and a grinder, still cutting with rods.

/ Fun with square tubing #65  
<font color=blue>"still cutting with rods"</font color=blue>

David,

Don't feel bad. I've been cutting with rods (and a sawzall) for 20+ years. I just don't do enough heavy cutting to justify buying or renting oxy and acetylene bottles.

TBone

/ Fun with square tubing #66  
TBone, what do you mean when you say cutting with rods?
PJ

/ Fun with square tubing #67  
He means cranking the amperage up and burning through the metal with a welding rod.

/ Fun with square tubing #68  
Ok, so you burn through the metal with rods (cutting) then what are you using to weld?
PJ

/ Fun with square tubing
PJ,

Remember when I said it's all about heat and speed?

If you want to cut a piece of steel and you don't have a torch or a saw you can cut it by applying more heat and moving at a slower pace.

This is method of last resort in most circumstances. It is usually a very ragged cut and to be welded needs considerable grinding to make a joint or a "fit". Making that joint is an art in itself. The professionals are call "fitters" or "pipe fitters".

There is a saying in the business about a joint being so well made that even Ray Charles could weld it. That a blind man could do it.

There's more to that saying than it being a metaphor. When one is welding sometimes the stimulus that is most dominate in directing the weldor's actions is not the eyes but the ears. You're subconciously listening to what's happening and reacting accordingly.

It's again sorta like driving. When you're driving right your attention is ahead of the vehicle. How far depends entirely on your speed and the conditions at the time. A rookie driver will be looking ten feet in front of themselves and weaving etc.

It's the same with welding. When you're adept and doing it right you're not concentrating on the puddle or what is happening with it. Your attention is ahead of the weld and your body is following, again very much like when you're driving.

An example of what's happening when you're welding might be explained by considering this. You have three candles. You lay two of them side by side. You take a Bic lighter and with the flame you melt the third candle into the gap or grove between the other two. But you're not just dropping wax. You aim the flame and hold the third candle in such a way that the two candles are melting together and the third is melting into their pool of wax as additional filler. When you're done you have one candle.

Now the best weld in steel and iron is a blacksmith's weld called a "forge weld". With conventional welding methods you melt the two pieces together. With a forge weld they become one piece, period, end of story, close the book.

I've never seen personally but I've heard many times the story about the blacksmith that used to challenge weldors to a welding contest. He never lost. His welds were quicker and they all passed destructive and non destructive tests.

Never trust a blacksmith. They're tricky. I think it has something to do with the hammering.

/ Fun with square tubing #70  
Re:chop saw

Between my sons and I, we have a fairly complete tool crib. One son has a nice chop saw that I found great use for. I like it's 'portability'. I usually use my old 10" table saw. Replacing the blade with a nice cutoff wheel made life simple for those pieces that were too long for the chop. I also like the feature of angling the blade to get a bevel edge. Now that he's 'replaced' his old table saw with a new, he's planning on using that the same way I do mine. BTW, I'm really impressed with the amount of talent on this board. The sharing of info and helping attitudes are outstanding. Thanks for the education.....