Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places? #51  
Or sure how that is legal. Airspace is under federal, not state control. Not the first time CA has deliberately violated federal law.

Imho, we simply need the federal courts to define your property to include that space above. If 350' works, great. FAA restricts drones to 400' max. These are within range of a shotgun. Fly your drone over your own property or public property, but the law needs to stop favoring the drones over the property owners.

We need to regain control over our personal spaces.
I agree. That's why I try real hard to not violate someone's perception of their space. My perception of that and yours might vary.

Again, we need to define personal space. Torvy, do you consider your personal space to go vertically an unlimited distance? If so, you are violated daily. Possibly hourly. Depending on where you live.

Give me your address and I'll post an aerial pic of your property detailed enough to know if you are home or not.

Again, I believe, it's up to the pilot to not violate what you consider your space. And I do that with diligence.

/ Filming in Public Places? #52  
Part of the reason that the remote ID law started 9/1 is to make drones and their operators easy to find. And this scared the drone industry a lot.
Doesn't concern me in the least. I am a registered pilot.

/ Filming in Public Places? #53  
I’m ok with it, cameras are everywhere, but if someone is making money off you, IMO, you deserve compensation. For example the YouTube pranksters.

/ Filming in Public Places? #54  
These concepts are legally incongruous.

If you fly your $500 drone over my place, it will be shot down. I'd be happy to be the test case. Of course, I live out in the middle of nowhere and have no restrictions on things like shooting.
So Torvy, your ideals might be more debatable than mine as a pilot that flies over what you consider your space.

We need to be very careful about what we claim as our "position" in this regard.

If I fly over you at an altitude of 400' and you can successfully shoot me down, the military needs you. :)

/ Filming in Public Places? #55  
I am not saying I want to fly my drone over yours or any others property. I am just saying that if you choose to shoot a drone down be aware it is a serious federal crime. Don’t care if you shoot or not, just here passing on what is a fact. I live more remote than you. My drone doesn’t leave my property, and I don’t care what you do on your property. But if you pick **** with others sounds like it would be an easy thing to lure you into a legal problem by passing a drone over your place and you shooting at it…

In the US there is an easement above your property for aircraft. You own it but it can used without trespass.
Well stated.

/ Filming in Public Places? #56  
I’m ok with it, cameras are everywhere, but if someone is making money off you, IMO, you deserve compensation. For example the YouTube pranksters.
I'm pretty sure today I have not been photographed. Never went to town. Only left the property and drove 6 miles one way thru the country to my Son's house and back. But you never know. :)

For the city dwellers, if they leave their house they are photographed. If money is made off that act or not I cannot declare. But the chances are very great.

I enjoy watching YouTube videos of street musicians. Some very amazing talent. During a single song, posted on YouTube generating advertising revenue, there might be 100 people in the background that unwillingly participated in the scenario. You believe each of them are entitled to a piece of the action? :)

/ Filming in Public Places? #57  
These concepts are legally incongruous.

If you fly your $500 drone over my place, it will be shot down. I'd be happy to be the test case. Of course, I live out in the middle of nowhere and have no restrictions on things like shooting.

Actually hitting a drone from 400ft high would be a dang good shot for starters. But if you did manage you might find yourself in a heap of trouble. It’s basically the same crime as shooting an actual aircraft.

/ Filming in Public Places? #58  
On the subject of drones - I mentioned it before -
I like to use them to "inventory" my roofs. I've got about 6,000 square feet of roofs in Mississippi and it's the easiest way to look at the roofs.
BUT
I can't do that in Northern Virginia because the whole blasted area I'm interested in is a "no drone zone". (The area for 15.5 miles from the Whitehouse.)

I just want to take pictures of my darn roof!
So instead I have to get out my 30' ladder.

/ Filming in Public Places? #59  
Actually hitting a drone from 400ft high would be a dang good shot for starters. But if you did manage you might find yourself in a heap of trouble. It’s basically the same crime as shooting an actual aircraft.
I consider you a very good shot. If you can hit a drone slightly larger than my hand moving at 25mph at 400ft altitude I'll elevate you to an exceptional shooter. :)

/ Filming in Public Places? #60  
On the subject of drones - I mentioned it before -
I like to use them to "inventory" my roofs. I've got about 6,000 square feet of roofs in Mississippi and it's the easiest way to look at the roofs.
BUT
I can't do that in Northern Virginia because the whole blasted area I'm interested in is a "no drone zone". (The area for 15.5 miles from the Whitehouse.)

I just want to take pictures of my darn roof!
So instead I have to get out my 30' ladder.
Sometimes we legislate ourselves into ineffectiveness. :)