Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places?
I'm guessing anyone today can gather content and then post it claiming to be a journalist?

My LEO friends have gotten into problems trespassing individuals from public places... from what I understand trespass is very specific under the law and requires specific actions such as a warning, etc...

I have run into this at the private hospital... someone acting crazy so I call the police and if they leave when police tell them that is the end of it even if they have overturned trash containers, etc...

Plus... if I want a formal Trespass it's my name on the form which takes the police out of the loop...

I'm not a lawyer but sometimes I do wonder how those enforcing laws are not always up to speed...

/ Filming in Public Places? #12  
No pictures please, I’m not on the FBI 10 most wanted list but I’m probably number 11 or 12. :D

I agree, if someone want to film me that’s fine, if they stick with it long enough I’ll do something klutzy and they’ll get a laugh.

/ Filming in Public Places? #13  
Karens :rolleyes: 🤪o_O You can't park here, film here, be here, I'm calling 911. If she calls enough they will come and cuff her :LOL:

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Filming in Public Places? #14  
Not correct. If the public place has in place regulations that are posted in a prominent location, that posting always takes precedent over the mandates. I never interpret. Doing that can and will cause you grief in the end, but then I rarely record anything on my cell phone anyway' especially in any public venue.
Public buildings, those “owned or leased” by the taxpayers (parks, city hall, police lobby, tax assessors/treasurers office, public works, etc) Walmart, Menards, etc being open to the public but privately owned is not ok. My shop is technically open to the public, but filming (digital imprints, video recording, recording in any manner) would not be ok.

/ Filming in Public Places? #15  
Karens :rolleyes: 🤪o_O You can't park here, film here, be here, I'm calling 911. If she calls enough they will come and cuff her :LOL:
Yep, those ones, interpreting the rules for their own best interest.

/ Filming in Public Places? #16  
I am not a huge fan of the auditors, but they do serve a purpose to educate many LEOs as to the law.

The interesting twist will be when someone goes after them for payment for using their image in a for-profit endeavor.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Filming in Public Places? #17  
I follow a couple 1st amendment auditors on YouTube and it is shocking how little most people, including law enforcement know about our constitutionally protected rights. Some of these auditors are trying to get a reaction out of people and its obvious, however the government officials fall into their traps every time and they almost always end up looking stupid and/ or sued or prosecuted.

/ Filming in Public Places? #18  
Darn good lawyer told me if one filming from public spot etc. that person can film what the camcorder can see.

/ Filming in Public Places? #19  
I would think that a person can video from the sidewalk or roadway (off property), but would need permission from the owner/manager on the property.

/ Filming in Public Places? #20  
I would think that a person can video from the sidewalk or roadway (off property), but would need permission from the owner/manager on the property.
Nope. The sidewalk and public places off of the property are not the property owners to control.

That being said, I think we need to extend property rights to the airspace above said property. I'm not sure how high most commercially available drones can fly, but I think the space 250ft or so above your property should be yours to control. I shouldn't be able to legally fly a drone over your property and film you (at least without risking you legally shooting down or otherwise destroying the offending drone).