Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places? #22  
I think that is what I said..... :rolleyes:
Sorry, I thought you were saying they needed the owners' permission to film from public space onto the business property. Mea Culpa.

/ Filming in Public Places? #23  
I would think that a person can video from the sidewalk or roadway (off property), but would need permission from the owner/manager on the property.
To be On (or filming within their property lines) privately owned property, you do need permission.

/ Filming in Public Places?
I did a search and was not able to find the post office incident for which I started the thread.

You guys are right... it seems like there are many public place videos.

Since sidewalk filming is mentioned in the thread I found a video in Beverly Hills that almost seems staged... I watched it and the police were professional in every way and a high end shop owner even invited the father and son in for conversation cameras rolling.

On the other hand some of the high end shops tried to control the sidewalks and called police...

I like the older couple towards the end walking hand in hand...

/ Filming in Public Places? #25  
I did a search and was not able to find the post office incident for which I started the thread.

You guys are right... it seems like there are many public place videos.

Since sidewalk filming is mentioned in the thread I found a video in Beverly Hills that almost seems staged... I watched it and the police were professional in every way and a high end shop owner even invited the father and son in for conversation cameras rolling.

On the other hand some of the high end shops tried to control the sidewalks and called police...

I like the older couple towards the end walking hand in hand...

I am perplexed by the ways that places are allowing “public” property to be used for private business. Dining areas on sidewalks is top of the list, down to closing parks for invitation only events.

/ Filming in Public Places? #26  
I'm with you on the sidewalk thing. In many cases, the park usage has a cost. It is a revenue generator for the parks dept.

/ Filming in Public Places? #27  
My LEO friends have gotten into problems trespassing individuals from public places... from what I understand trespass is very specific under the law and requires specific actions such as a warning, etc...
Especially in CA, it's a minefield. As I recall, to prohibit trespass a property needs to have signage a prescribed distance covering the entire property. A LEO in CA does have the power to order a person not to trespass on a specific piece of private property, which is valid for 30 days. It does become a crime if the person violates that. If it is a public place like a restaurant it becomes more complicated.

Here's a fun one .... obtain a CCW and decide to carry a gun for protection. Then walk into the Post Office to mail a letter ... whoops ... you just brought a concealed firearm onto Federal land/territory. Your CCW was issued by a County (or State) and it does not extend to Federal land. You could be in a great deal of trouble if caught.

/ Filming in Public Places? #28  
Here's a fun one .... obtain a CCW and decide to carry a gun for protection. Then walk into the Post Office to mail a letter ... whoops ... you just brought a concealed firearm onto Federal land/territory. Your CCW was issued by a County (or State) and it does not extend to Federal land. You could be in a great deal of trouble if caught.
That would be just dumb on the ccw holders part, it’s their obligation to know where the permit is valid.

The flip side to that is politicians wanting to use stolen guns out of vehicles as an excuse to get rid of guns.

Last edited:
   / Filming in Public Places? #29  
Was that lady's name "Karen"? :)

I fly my drone quite a bit. I am considerate and try to not invade people's space. My latest Drone has a 10X zoom lense. I can take decent pics or videos at a distance where you can't see or hear the drone. I do not abuse that ability.

As Ultrarunner mentioned, my gang participates in local car shows and parades. We are frequently photographed and posted on social media or the local newspaper.

This story is another reason I hate to go to the city. I'm an outcast. In my World it's polite to make eye contact and greet someone you meet in the store aisle or sidewalk. In the City less than 1% of people do that....

/ Filming in Public Places? #30  
I think the problem starts when people believe "public" means they get to do ANYTHING they want to. They think "public" means they can be a total jerk as they cry "I have rights"!