Filming in Public Places?

/ Filming in Public Places?
I am perplexed by the ways that places are allowing “public” property to be used for private business. Dining areas on sidewalks is top of the list, down to closing parks for invitation only events.
At least here there is a rental or lease fee collected by the city for business to encroach on public property.

It was explained to me as similar to to fees paid when Lanes or Parking Spaces are used during a private adjoining construction project.

SF has some public spaces where businesses obstructed the public and it became a big deal just prior to pandemic.

One is a roof top skyscraper garden on top of a private building... something in the deed required the property to have a public access space but the lawyers said nothing in the restrictions saying ground level do the building was built with a public rooftop space but then building security made it very difficult to access or even find...

Especially in CA, it's a minefield. As I recall, to prohibit trespass a property needs to have signage a prescribed distance covering the entire property. A LEO in CA does have the power to order a person not to trespass on a specific piece of private property, which is valid for 30 days. It does become a crime if the person violates that. If it is a public place like a restaurant it becomes more complicated.

Here's a fun one .... obtain a CCW and decide to carry a gun for protection. Then walk into the Post Office to mail a letter ... whoops ... you just brought a concealed firearm onto Federal land/territory. Your CCW was issued by a County (or State) and it does not extend to Federal land. You could be in a great deal of trouble if caught.
Yep... plus restrictions on leaving a firearm in a unattended vehicle or in cases where local law enforcement do not have a written agreement with say a Federally owned post office the local law enforcement has no jurisdiction on said Federal Property... to the point of even mailing a letter while armed.

Then in SF trying to enter a Federal Building with an empty holster caused a big ruckus and the holster was empty because the firearm was left in the car in the custody of another CC permit holder...

/ Filming in Public Places? #33  
My wife runs junior tennis tournaments at a city park.

Very often issues arose when “strange men” start filming 12, 14 and 16 year old girls playing.

We went to the City and they passed an ordinance prohibiting the filming of underage children inside the tennis facility.

We posted signs and it stopped.

Rarely an issue anymore.

Was that lady's name "Karen"? :)

I fly my drone quite a bit. I am considerate and try to not invade people's space. My latest Drone has a 10X zoom lense. I can take decent pics or videos at a distance where you can't see or hear the drone. I do not abuse that ability.

As Ultrarunner mentioned, my gang participates in local car shows and parades. We are frequently photographed and posted on social media or the local newspaper.

This story is another reason I hate to go to the city. I'm an outcast. In my World it's polite to make eye contact and greet someone you meet in the store aisle or sidewalk. In the City less than 1% of people do that....
I heard what sounded like a string trimmer in my backyard... turned out to be a professional search and rescue volunteer with camera drone.

Made contact when I saw the man about a block away and asked what's up?

He said missing elderly person with dementia gone 4 days and multi agency task force even with family paying for helicopter time searching.

I said carry on and walk back home thinking back 4 days ago I did see an older man with a red shirt walking at a brisk pace in the direction of the fire trail... the area had already been driven and nothing found.

I saw the person and said hello when I was at my mailbox... he walked right by not saying anything.

Anyway... based on my input search and rescue brought out search dogs to re-canvass the area on foot and that evening he was found alive in a ditch about 300 feet from the trail...

Had I not been home getting my mail and later home hearing the drone and investigating the man wouldn't have made it and the search was huge with tens of thousands of acres in open space in every direction...

Things like this have happened to me several times... just being at the right place at the right time and being aware...

Last edited:
   / Filming in Public Places? #35  
I heard what sounded like a string trimmer in my backyard... turned out to be a professional search and rescue volunteer with camera drone.

Made contact when I saw the man about a block away and asked what's up?

He said missing elderly person with dementia gone 4 days and multi agency task force even with family paying for helicopter time searching.

I said carry on and walk back home thinking back 4 days ago I did see an older man with a red shirt walking at a brisk pace in the direction of the fire trail... the area had already been driven and nothing found.

I saw the person and said hello when I was at my mailbox... he walked right by not saying anything.

Anyway... based on my input search and rescue brought out search dogs to re-canvass the area on foot and that evening he was found alive in a ditch about 300 feet from the trail...

Had it not been for me being home getting my mail and me being home hearing the drone over my backyard that man wouldn't have made it and the search was huge with tens of thousands of acres in open space in every direction...

Things like this have happened to me several times... just being at the right place at the right time and being aware...
Great example of what most people call coincidence. I do not. I call it destiny. Then it's up to you to do the right thing and pass on your information. Thank you for doing that. Jewels in Your Crown Sir.

Great example of what most people call coincidence. I do not. I call it destiny. Then it's up to you to do the right thing and pass on your information. Thank you for doing that. Jewels in Your Crown Sir.
I would not have even been home that time of day to check the mail but went to pick up a tool I needed for work...

My mind can be slow but I'm always thinking...

/ Filming in Public Places? #37  
But is it thinking about what it should at the time? My brain goes on wild goose chases and down rabbit holes unless I yank the leash now and then :cool:

After I found out why the drone I started thinking walking back to the house where was I four days ago and then said to myself 4 days ago would have been Thursday and Thursday is garbage day and yes... I did come home briefly on Garbage day because when I was home I pushed the garbage carts to the house... and then did the same for my neighbor who was away and saw they had mail so I decided to check my box and just then a older man with a red shirt briskly walked by and I said hello and he walked right past...

For me it is a lot about association...

Another time a widow lady next to a rental I manage had newspapers and mail pile up... turns out she had fallen in the bath tub and it was just by chance noticing the uncollected mail seemed out of place...

I called out and heard a faint voice... help me...

Came in through a window... she asked if I was an Angel answering her prayers?... two days in the tub fractured hip... 87 years old.

/ Filming in Public Places? #39  
I would not have even been home that time of day to check the mail but went to pick up a tool I needed for work...

Mine too my friend.

/ Filming in Public Places? #40  
Sidewalk filming/what the recorder can see: you can record what you can see, but you can't violate what a "reasonable person" would expect to be private. Like you can't use a 1000mm telephoto to catch pics of me from the county road without violating my privacy.

The other thing is you can't take pictures/video of people and use them without a model release if you're not really doing "news". Up to the court, of course... but if you take a video of a meltdown and intend to monetize it, see you in court.