Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
I recently moved from a fairly flat property to a 40 acre timbered property on the side of a mountain in Southern Idaho. I had planned to change the injection pump shims on my L2501 this spring, but after reading this I would love to take this approach. I am not at all concerned with how the tractor will hold up to this power change, and agree with the reasons you have given on why this will not affect the tractor. I am not a mechanic, but can follow instructions if properly given, I would love to give a kit a try if you ever put one together. Better yet, if you need to install one a 2nd time in order to properly put your kit together or or write instructions I will haul my tactor your way.

I believe you would greatly benefit from a Turbo kit.

We have already successfully transferred the Turbo components from my L2501 to another local L2501. We’re confident in the overall fitment of the Turbo system. We’ll have something put together and available soon.

3 of the first 5 Turbo kits are going to L2501 owners operating at elevation. I’m looking forward to the results of those installations.

It’s very possible the guys at elevation will be able to install the Turbo kit, restore all lost performance and not have to increase the fuel. But, if they’re looking at increasing performance over and above factory performance, then some additional fuel adjustment will be required (but, nothing like at sea level).

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #82  
A turbo would greatly help any diesel at high elevations.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #83  
I don't have time to construct the writeup much less do the modifications to one. That looks very interesting and would like to have time to do such things.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #84  
Please put me on the list for a kit.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
   / Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #86  
This has been a great project to read about. I became involved in diesel pickup modification over 20 years ago and this has the same exciting flavor to it.

It sounds like the modifications have been very successful for your needs, congratulations. And other L2501 owners are interested in the product you have developed, congratulations again. Our property is relatively flat so I don't have any need for more power and my unstarted/unfinished project list is already fairly long so I won't be considering it for myself.

Thank you for sharing the development and testing. I'm curious to see if there is any significant difference on a gear tractor.

This has been a great project to read about. I became involved in diesel pickup modification over 20 years ago and this has the same exciting flavor to it.

It sounds like the modifications have been very successful for your needs, congratulations. And other L2501 owners are interested in the product you have developed, congratulations again. Our property is relatively flat so I don't have any need for more power and my unstarted/unfinished project list is already fairly long so I won't be considering it for myself.

Thank you for sharing the development and testing. I'm curious to see if there is any significant difference on a gear tractor.

Thank you!

I believe the improvements will be amplified on the gear drive since you will not have any of the limitations from the HST pressure relief system. Basically, you'll be able to use ALL the additional power. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get this Turbo Kit installed on a gear drive tractor.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #88  
You should perform a leakdown test on your machine at some point as the turbo install will erode the piston ring land on the top ring only and compression will suffer especially if you use much power over sustained time. These folks will help you also.

I turbocharged my L3940 and it ruined all 4 pistons in 400 hours. Pull the part numbers of your pistons and compare with the actual turbocharged version, you'll see what I am talking about.

I have a thread here somewhere called "I still hate my tractor", it's about too many pages long, about my turbo install and experiences with it.

I have another 400 on it blowing snow wide open full tilt and have yet to have another issue but haven't done another leakdown test yet, again, perform a leakdown test not a compression test.
I stopped posting here much to the chagrin of the hall monitors here, only Elon Musk knows what I am speaking of; and yes I do still hate my tractor.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #89  
Great write up. Thanks!

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #90  
Nothing wrong with that. I certainly wouldn’t mind having an MX5400 ;)

Mike
As someone who has turbo'd a couple LS's, I love this thread! Kudo's sir!

Also as someone who owns a MX5400, its the most underpower tractor Ive ever owned. Im severely disappointed in it. Once the warranty is up, Ill be looking at doing something to give it more ass.