Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #11  
Still very interesting imo. Nice you took the time to discuss so much of the guesswork on it. I've never heard of, let alone thought of putting a turbo on a smaller 25hp diesel engine. Anyways a project like that's probably above my pay grade.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
Impressive modification nice upgrade from 19- 35pto hp with a hydrostatic transmission curious to know what parts of the 2501 drive line and pto are interchangeable with other L series tractors of similar years?

Thank you.

The L2501, L3301, L3302, L3901 and L3902 all share the same Hydrostat unit and the same 28:27 input ratio. All components in PTO are the same with the exception of two gears. You can match PTO speeds in the L2501 by replacing those two gears.

The L2501 HST relief pressure is only 100psi lower than the L3301 / L3302 and L3901 / L3902.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results
This is a really good read, thank you for posting it! I'm only through part one, but I'm enjoying the thread so far.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the rest.

Mike

I would have just bought a larger tractor myself.

Nothing wrong with that. I certainly wouldn’t mind having an MX5400 ;)

Mike

Videos added to posts #5 and #6.

Mike

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #17  
I can't wait to read this full thread someday

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #18  
I'd say you modification is a bit beyond the scope of the average small tractor owner but it is a very 'sanitary' install. Yes, the addition of a turbo charger negates the use of a muffler. Both of my M9's have straight pipes as well as my diesel pickup. None of them are obnoxious other than the constant 'whistle' from the spinning turbo's. Of course I don't own (and will never own) any post 4 diesel powered engine. Not in my wheelhouse.

Mack Trucks (VoMack), casts right into the turbine housing that the turbo is considered a muffling device and it is.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #19  
Like I stated previously (and took some flack from the peanut gallery), I would have just bought a larger unit. I bet the cost to turbo that one (and the labor involved) far outstripped the cost of a bigger unit.

The other issue is, it's not tradeable on a new unit now. No Kubota dealer would take it on trade. You could probably sell it outright but that would be the only way.

Nice install but far above the means and expertise of the average owner.

35 ponies is less than half what mine outputs at the pto and I do wonder about the longevity of the hydrostat components that were sized for lower horsepower. Time will tell I guess.

/ Kubota L2501 Turbo: A Journey Defined - The Tractor, The Comparison, The Modification, The Results #20  
I've put about 90 hours on my L2501 over the past 10-11 months. IMO, all the components are well matched to the size, weight and HP of the tractor. The basic problem with a smaller tractor is not having enough traction, but the 4x4 on the L2501 is very effective. It doesn't bother me to use the low range when pulling a box blade full of gravel up a hill. If I could grade in mid range on a hill, I'd still use low range to decrease the risk of flipping over.

Increasing the HP doesn't increase the size of the loader cylinders or increase the weight or traction of the tractor.