Engine design affects starting

/ Engine design affects starting #11  
If there are glow plugs the engine has a pre combustion chamber.

/ Engine design affects starting #12  
Don't know what sort of chambers my little 32 Hp Shibaura (Ford 1920) has, but it starts easily without glow plugs, down to 32F, and I never have tried below that.

Ford 1920 parts catalog shows key 36 as """glow plugs""".

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-18 112459.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-18 112459.png
    318 KB · Views: 82
   / Engine design affects starting #13  
Why does Japanese small engines use out dated designs with prechambers and not direct injection? Is it the obsession to make it so light and cheap as possible?

/ Engine design affects starting #14  
Ford 1920 parts catalog shows key 36 as """glow plugs""".

Oh.....I know my Ford 1920 has glow plugs,....the point is, that it starts just fine without them.

/ Engine design affects starting #15  
Sorry my reading comprehension failed me again. Danged Oldtimers acting up again.:laughing:

/ Engine design affects starting #16  
Why does Japanese small engines use out dated designs with prechambers and not direct injection? Is it the obsession to make it so light and cheap as possible?

Agvg
Which small engines do you refer to here?

/ Engine design affects starting #17  
If there are glow plugs the engine has a pre combustion chamber.
You mean, "if there are glow plugs in the engine"...

Some direct injection diesels have a glow plug in the intake tract...

SR

/ Engine design affects starting #18  
No, many "use to be" direct injection, the pre chambers came along with emission BS.

SR

/ Engine design affects starting #19  
My 1962 Toselli 226 crawler tractor with a 2 cylinder Air cooled VM engine always started so nice and easy. Granted the lowest temp we usually get here is somewhere around 28F, but without any glow plugs or grid heaters (it didn't have any of that), it only took like 1/2 of a turn to start up.

These air cooled engines as long as it has good compression and good battery, it'll always start regardless of the temps outside.

My new tractor with the Kukje A series engine, Cummins licensed, start just as nicely and easy with the use of glow plugs.

The Kubota engine on my homemade backhoe, takes a loooot of glow plug help to start. Usually more than 40 seconds.

/ Engine design affects starting #20  
Yes, large air-cooled diesels are popular I very cold climat, Tatra trucks uses V12 air-cooled for use in extreme cold. Some Russian equipment has all kinds of tricks to get it to start in the cold.