TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #1  

caine

I must be dumb as all get out. I've had my TYM HST330 for 12 years, put 600+ hours on it, and never seemed to need the glow plugs to start it. It has the Kubota D1503 engine, and it's my first diesel engine product.

Sometimes it has been slower to start than others, but this year it has gotten harder to start as the weather has cooled and that got me thinking that something was wrong or I was doing something wrong. and that got me deciding to learn about glow plugs.

Well- the manual is all but useless in explaining how they are supposed to work. It says turn the switch to the left (doesn't say how long to hold it there) and release it. If I turn it to the left, the glow plug indicator will flash for as long as I hold it in the glow position. But if I release it, the indicator immediately goes out. Does anybody know how this is supposed to work? Should the indicator stay on solid until preheating is complete? Or should it flash until preheating is complete?

I will also point out that the schematic in the manual is nearly useless- it's low resolution so zooming makes it illegible.

What I notice is that if I hold the key to the left in order to get the glow plug indicator light to flash and hold it there for 5 or even 10 seconds, the engine still doesn't start any easier which suggests to me that the glow plugs are not activating.

My surmise is that there's a relay that should have latched when I turned the key to the left and keep the glow plugs on until the combustion chamber is warm enough to start. Is that correct? And if so, where is that relay mounted? (The manual does not provide a callout of things under the hood) I see in the parts catalog that there is a glow "timer." Is that the same thing as the relay or something different?

Any insight on how this is supposed to work and where to locate the relay/timer would be gratefully received! Thank you.

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #2  
Found a manual online and it shows the glowplug timer, glow plug relay and a fusible link. I would guess the timer or relay is suspect. Can you hear a relay clicking when the light flashes?

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine
No- I don't hear any noise at all. I'm a seasoned electrical troubleshooter but simply didn't know where the relay and or timer might be located. Since I posted I found a Mahindra 3510 parts diagram online (TYM made the HST 330 for Mahindra as the 3510) which gives me some idea where to look for those. Since Mahindra has a different engine I don't know if the relay and timer are the same or not but when the rain quits I'll see if I can locate them.

I just wasn't sure how the system is supposed to work- e.g. when I turn the key to glow should the dash indicator be on solid or flashing? Should it stay lit (or flashing) until preheating is completed?

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #4  
No- I don't hear any noise at all. I'm a seasoned electrical troubleshooter but simply didn't know where the relay and or timer might be located. Since I posted I found a Mahindra 3510 parts diagram online (TYM made the HST 330 for Mahindra as the 3510) which gives me some idea where to look for those. Since Mahindra has a different engine I don't know if the relay and timer are the same or not but when the rain quits I'll see if I can locate them.

I just wasn't sure how the system is supposed to work- e.g. when I turn the key to glow should the dash indicator be on solid or flashing? Should it stay lit (or flashing) until preheating is completed?
Hi,
I had a TYM T330 for 12 years and it was a wonderful tractor. You turn the key to the left then let it go and the indicator will stay on for a while depending on how cold it is out. I never had trouble with mine, so I never looked for the timer or relay. Hope this helps.

Thank you Keweenaw!! That is exactly what I needed to understand - so now I know how it should work. Now off to troubleshooting!

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #6  
caine, My 273 does exactly what Yooper describes. The glow timer on mine is located under the lower dash, on the side facing the seat.

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #7  
Have you ever adjusted the valves? It may be my imagination, but my experience has been the tractor seems to start easier with less reliance on glow plugs when the valves have been adjusted

No, MTGreen, I haven't- good thought. I have about 810 hours on it so maybe it's time. I found the valve lash spec easily enough-
(Intake Valve Lash: .007-.009" cold (.178-.229 mm) Exhaust Valve Lash: .007-.009" cold (.178-.229 mm)) but haven't located anything about how often it ought to be performed. Looks accessible enough so probably something I ought to check. Thanks.

Gregster613 - thanks for that. Do you need to remove the instrument panel to access it or is it accessible from the bottom? Is it labeled in any meaningful way?

/ TYM Glow Plug Questions HST 330 Kubtoa D1503 Engine #10  
caine, On my machine the bottom of the instrument panel is separate from the top, so no need to remove the cluster (although I have done that also and it's not difficult). You do need to pull the steering wheel off to do anything with the top cluster and mine was "very" tightly on the first time removed! I coated everything under the wheel with anti-seize and now it will pop off easily if I ever need it off.

I can't remember for sure if you need to loosen the top section to get room to wiggle the bottom apart but there are only screws and a couple 10mm bolts holding it together. Kind of a play as you go situation. Just remember to disconnect your battery ground to frame connection first so you don't spark anything and cause something else to short out. Good luck.