Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #1  

2manyrocks

I was quoted $21,300 for the gear drive L2501 4wd with loader by my local middle Tennessee Kubota dealer. But he didn't have a gear drive in stock and said he'd have to trade with another dealer to get one. He also said the gear drive isn't a popular model and that's why they don't have one in stock. The loader does have the quick hitch on it.

My concern is that the pricing might be a bit high if the dealer is padding his price to be sure he can get a gear drive unit since he doesn't have one in stock.

I was leaning towards the gear drive model mainly because clutches are simple to fix and there's less power loss when it comes to mowing.

The dealer has HST models in stock for the extra difference in list price which I think he said about another $1,600?

I plan to keep my larger 35hp tractor for bush hogging. Was looking at the L2501 as something that would burn less fuel for lighter work, would be easier to add a third function and a grapple for cleaning up some limbs from time to time. My existing tractors are 2 wheel drive.

For loader work, I can see the usefulness of the HST. The dealer said they have customers with 5,000 hours on the HSTs with no issues? Am I making too much of the HST reliability issue?

We have some hills so tractor stability is important.

On the other hand, there is a used JD 3025e for sale with a grapple already on it-67 hours for $22,000. Not crazy about the grapple because it has the longer lower tines on it rather than a root rake type design. My problem with picking up brush and fallen limbs with plain forks has always been getting under the material. I think it would be easier to grab with a root rake type design...but wonder what experience others have had?

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #2  
If buying new, you can always use the equine discount for 20% off MSRP. Might be a better path?

Not sure where exactly in middle TN you are/which dealer, but i had a good experience with Columbia Kubota. Happy to pass on salemsan info if you want to PM me (would absolutely recommend the gentleman I worked with).

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice
Thank you. I should also mention that the $21,000 price I was quoted was after an $1,800 cash and orange plus rebate.

Would I also be able to get the $1,800 rebate using the 20% equine discount? The 20% discount sounds way better...and I'm not too happy that the salesman didn't bring this up as a possibility.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #5  
Nope they will only allow one discount to be used. My dealer only stocks the HST model also. The E series JD is way less tractor and I would check out the Messick's video with the comparison. My dealer loves to make the comparison of the E to the L.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #6  
Unless you only do bush hogging or row cropping, HST will be a better choice overall. If doing a lot of front loader work, it's the best option. I've never heard of any widespready HST issues on Kubotas in the last 11 years on the forum.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #7  
I had an L2501 gear model. If you don't mind the stoppage to shift from forward to reverse each time your doing loader work, it's OK.

With that, it's a work horse. Just takes longer than an HST to do anything using the loader.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice
I don't mind shifting gears. My concern is more about reliability without having to spend money on repairs. I would guess that shifting back and forth with a gear drive would put a lot of wear on a clutch that would be avoided with an HST.

Any thoughts on just getting the dealer to install the third function controls vs. using the Summit aftermarket kit that costs $580? third-function-valve-kit-for-kubota-l2501-l3200-l3301-and-l3901-tractors.

I don't see a Kubota branded grapple, but there appears to be a Landprice SGC0660 available? I guess this wouldn't qualify for the 20% equine discount since it isn't Kubota branded? Tractors - Compact - Standard L Series | Kubota

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #9  
I was quoted $21,300 for the gear drive L2501 4wd with loader by my local middle Tennessee Kubota dealer. But he didn't have a gear drive in stock and said he'd have to trade with another dealer to get one. He also said the gear drive isn't a popular model and that's why they don't have one in stock. The loader does have the quick hitch on it.

My concern is that the pricing might be a bit high if the dealer is padding his price to be sure he can get a gear drive unit since he doesn't have one in stock.

I was leaning towards the gear drive model mainly because clutches are simple to fix and there's less power loss when it comes to mowing.

The dealer has HST models in stock for the extra difference in list price which I think he said about another $1,600?

I plan to keep my larger 35hp tractor for bush hogging. Was looking at the L2501 as something that would burn less fuel for lighter work, would be easier to add a third function and a grapple for cleaning up some limbs from time to time. My existing tractors are 2 wheel drive.

For loader work, I can see the usefulness of the HST. The dealer said they have customers with 5,000 hours on the HSTs with no issues? Am I making too much of the HST reliability issue?

We have some hills so tractor stability is important.

On the other hand, there is a used JD 3025e for sale with a grapple already on it-67 hours for $22,000. Not crazy about the grapple because it has the longer lower tines on it rather than a root rake type design. My problem with picking up brush and fallen limbs with plain forks has always been getting under the material. I think it would be easier to grab with a root rake type design...but wonder what experience others have had?
HST are extremely reliable. If you keep up with fluid and filter changes, you will wear out the clutch on a gear tractor long before any repairs are needed for a HST.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #10  
Just on this forum there's a lot more posts about worn out clutches than broken HSTs. Very very few of the latter.

The Summit kit comes with a high quality loader joystick knob with switches. If you can make the brackets yourself and run the hoses, it's a better deal than having the dealer do it. But it means working on your new machine rather than getting work done with it.