Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #11  
There is another little thing to keep in mind with that particular model (L2501DT).
The pto is a live pto with no mid engagement clutch.
Not as convenient as an independent pto for doing mowing work.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #12  
You can gent WR Long 3rd function kit, that's what I got and it works great.
I recommend Everything Attachments grapple, they have multiple models in their website.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #13  
HSTs are very reliable. Chances of burning out a clutch & needing to split the tractor are much higher with a clutch than a HST. It would be a lot more expensive in the unlikely chance you blew up the HST though. Change oil & filters on schedule & your HST will last several thousand hours minimum, probably longer than the rest of the tractor.

I had a L3200 HST a few years ago here in Colorado. At 7,000 feet it probably had L2501 power at sea level. More power would have been nice, but it got the job done. I made the same "mistake" when I upgraded to my cabbed & air conditioned L4060. A L6060 would be nice for faster heavy mowing & roading. But it's not worth the expense to upgrade.

Going light & slow for cheap operation isn't a bad call if you have a beefier machine to do harder work. Especially in that light I'd look at an easier to use HST.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #14  
   / Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #16  
For a low horsepower compact such as the L2501 you may find that is a lot easier to run a brush hog with hydrostatic rather than a gear tractor. The ability to slow your ground speed to negotiate thick vegetation or rough ground while keeping the hog turning a full speed is a real advantage.
Ran a 5 ft hog on an 8n for a number of years, it could get really challenging in thick vegetation.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice
I can see the ability to vary speed with the HST as useful in brush cutting. If I am running the PTO going forward on the L2501HST, can I leave the PTO engaged if I want to reverse and back into a patch of briars?

Messick's posted that Land Pride was purchased by Kubota. landpride

If I could get the 20% discount on a grapple at the time of buying the tractor, that might be smarter than buying it separately later.

Last edited:
   / Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #18  
An L2501 with HST transmission will be far more reliable and cheaper to run over the long term, than an L2501 equipped with its very basic clutch and gear transmission.

I was leaning towards the gear drive model mainly because clutches are simple to fix and there's less power loss when it comes to mowing.

Tractor clutches are not simple to fix. Used to be $1,200 for a dealer clutch rebuild. Probably $1,800, maybe $2,000 today.

Last edited:
   / Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #19  
I can see the ability to vary speed with the HST as useful in brush cutting. If I am running the PTO going forward on the L2501HST, can I leave the PTO engaged if I want to reverse and back into a patch of briars?
Yes. But only if you order optional chain guards for the rear of your Rotary Cutter.

The standard metal debris guard will prevent you from mowing in reverse.

Optional rubber rear debris guard will soon break.

/ Current pricing L2501 and transmission choice #20  
are you sure jeff?