Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
I have an Everlast Power MTS 251 Si welder that I bought a couple of years ago. I have been stick welding with it and all has been good.

I recently started setting it up to begin learning MIG welding. I have a spool of Hobart .030 wire and have installed that into the machine and torch. After removing the tip shield, there is a copper looking spacer thingy which the tip screws into. The tip which is installed says 1.0-.040. (this seems to mean size 1.0 to .040).

I also bought a package of Hobart .030 tips (says Miller compatible on the package). The Hobart .030 tips will not properly thread into the copper looking spacer which came with the gun. When comparing the threads on the larger tip to the smaller tip... the smaller tip threads look different than the larger tip threads.

1. I assume I must have the correct size tip for the wire I'm using? Or can I weld using the larger tip with .030 wire?

2. Should the MIG gun have threads which match the Hobart (Miller compatible) MIG tips?

3. I have tried multiple times to get on the Everlast forums but have been unsuccessful. Do the forums really exist?

Thanks!

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #2  
   / Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #3  
   / Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #4  
I have an Everlast Power MTS 251 Si welder that I bought a couple of years ago. I have been stick welding with it and all has been good.

I recently started setting it up to begin learning MIG welding. I have a spool of Hobart .030 wire and have installed that into the machine and torch. After removing the tip shield, there is a copper looking spacer thingy which the tip screws into. The tip which is installed says 1.0-.040. (this seems to mean size 1.0 to .040).

I also bought a package of Hobart .030 tips (says Miller compatible on the package). The Hobart .030 tips will not properly thread into the copper looking spacer which came with the gun. When comparing the threads on the larger tip to the smaller tip... the smaller tip threads look different than the larger tip threads.

1. I assume I must have the correct size tip for the wire I'm using? Or can I weld using the larger tip with .030 wire?

2. Should the MIG gun have threads which match the Hobart (Miller compatible) MIG tips?

3. I have tried multiple times to get on the Everlast forums but have been unsuccessful. Do the forums really exist?

Thanks!
I've not seen a post on any "Everlast Forum" that I can think of. Not sure where you posted. But I am responding here. Miller is not Everlast. Hobart/Miller are the same company. We use .08 and .06mm thread tips. Depending on the gun you have (they have had three different guns, all Binzel type though, but the 24, 25 and now 36) you could have either. Both will interchange with a variation of TWECO however, either the 11 series for the .6mm thread, or the 16 series for the .8mm thread (should be about the same length to respectively). The smaller .6mm thread will also cross to Lincoln.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #5  
I don't think there is adapter to use the Hobart tips (M5x0.8mm). I also have a 251Si with the 36 torch and changed the M8 tip holder to use Tweco tips (M6x1.0mm). I purchased a generic 5m torch set for steel wire and converted the original 3m torch to weld 0.045 Aluminum wire. If you are using 0.030 wire, you can use 0.030" (0.8mm), 0.035" (0.9mm), or 0.040" (1.0mm). Of course, it is better to use 0.030 or 0.035 tips, but the 0.040 will work. You can PM me for details on how to convert the 36 torch to use Tweco tips. As Mark said the 24 or 25 torches are already M6x1.0mm

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #6  
I don't think there is adapter to use the Hobart tips (M5x0.8mm). I also have a 251Si with the 36 torch and changed the tip holder to use Tweco tips (M6x1.0mm). I purchased a generic 5m torch set for steel wire and converted the original 3m torch to weld 0.045 Aluminum wire. If you are using 0.030 wire, you can use 0.030" (0.8mm), 0.035" (0.9mm), or 0.040" (1.0mm). Of course, it is better to use 0.030 or 0.035 tips, but the 0.040 will work. You can PM me for details on how to convert the torch to use Tweco tips.
We have an adapter you can buy if that is needed. Just call ext 206. But it derates the gun.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #7  
We have an adapter you can buy if that is needed. Just call ext 206. But it derates the gun.
Thanks Mark, but I'm set. Are you saying that using the series 11 tips drops the the 36 gun below the capability of the 251SI when running 0.035 solid wire, or 0.045 Flux core? It is my understanding that the 36 torch is 300A rated and is oversized compared to the capacity og the 251SI.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question
Thanks for all the ideas! Not near my welder at the moment.

I believe the gun that came with my welder is a 25 according to the sticker on it. I will dig into this later (family just arrived for the Thanksgiving holiday).

The Everlast forum question relates to the fact that there is a 'Forum' link on the Everlast site. I tried registering a long time ago and when trying to login and actually 'see' the forum, all I've ever gotten is a message about 'your IP address has been banned'... contact the admin. When I've tried doing that, I've gotten no response. There is no question posted because I can't get on to the forum.

Thanks again!

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #9  
Thanks Mark, but I'm set. Are you saying that using the series 11 tips drops the the 36 gun below the capability of the 251SI when running 0.035 solid wire, or 0.045 Flux core? It is my understanding that the 36 torch is 300A rated and is oversized compared to the capacity og the 251SI.
Unless you use the H version, yes. With the H version, it is about 230A approx. standard is 200A roughly.

/ Beginner MIG/Everlast Welder Question #10  
Thanks for the info. If i run heavy wire, i will convert back to the M8 tip holder and tips